PSN Outage Megathread - News, Info, and Rants Galore...

Glen-BoB

Grampie Blu-Clan
Jan 28, 2009
Dartmouth, NS, CaNaDa
Even tho it rarely happens I just thought this might be a good place to discuss whatcha been playing since while the PSN is D O W N.

This discussion kinda already got on it's way over in the Socom 4 thread but I think it warrants it's own thread.

Personally I've taken this opportunity to complete some SP games I've started. I'm not a fan of SP but whachagonnado when the PSN is outta commission. So far I've completed Socom 4, Killzone 3 and just finished Modern Warfare 2, hahaha. I've got a ton of games that I've started but SP bores me a bit so I never finish them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sony says PlayStation Network will return to Asia, starting tomorrow

Good news, Asia -- the PlayStation Network is finally coming back. Today, Sony announced that it will restore its gaming network across the continent, more than a month after falling prey to a crippling data breach. The company's PSN services are already up and running across other parts of the world and, beginning tomorrow, will light up once again in Taiwan, Singapore, Malaysia, Indonesia, Thailand and even Japan, which had been harboring serious reservations about the network's security. Gamers in South Korea and Hong Kong, meanwhile, will have to wait a little longer before returning to normalcy, though Sony is hoping to completely resolve the issue by the end of the month. The company certainly seems eager to put this saga to bed, and for understandable reasons. The incident has already cost Sony an estimated $171 million in revenue -- not to mention the untold numbers of suddenly wary consumers.

Full PSN Services, including PlayStation Store, Return This Week

Tokyo, May 31, 2011 – Sony Corporation and Sony Computer Entertainment (SCE) announced today that Sony Network Entertainment International (SNEI, the company) will fully restore all PlayStation®Network services in the Americas, Europe/PAL territories and Asia, excluding Japan, Hong Kong, and South Korea by the end of this week. The company will also resume Music Unlimited powered by Qriocity™ for PlayStation®3 (PS3®), PSP® (PlayStation®Portable), VAIO and other PCs. Details for Japan, Hong Kong, and South Korea as well as the remaining services on Qriocity will be announced as they become available.

The company implemented considerable security enhancements to the network infrastructure, as well as conducted testing of the payment process and commerce functions. The first phase of PlayStation Network and Qriocity restoration began on May 15 in the Americas and Europe/PAL territories, followed by Japan and Asian countries and regions on May 28, when the company brought partial services back online. With this partial restoration users were able to access to some of the services such as online game play, account management, friend lists and chat functionality were restored. The full restoration of PlayStation Network as well as part of services to become available on Qriocity will include:

• Full functionality on PlayStation®Store
• In-game commerce
• Ability to redeem vouchers and codes
• Full functionality on Music Unlimited powered by Qriocity for PS3, PSP, VAIO and other PCs
• Full functionality on Media Go

Customers will be able to purchase and download games and video content from the PlayStation®Store on PS3 or PSP. In addition, consumers will have full access to Music Unlimited powered by Qriocity through PS3, PSP, VAIO and other PC’s. Service restoration of Video on Demand powered by Qriocity™ and Music Unlimited powered by Qriocity for a variety of network-enabled Sony devices will be announced later.

“We have been conducting additional testing and further security verification of our commerce functions in order to bring the PlayStation Network completely back online so that our fans can again enjoy the first class entertainment experience they have come to love,” said Kazuo Hirai, Executive Deputy President, Sony Corporation. “We appreciate the patience and support shown during this time.”

The company will be offering customers a “Welcome Back” package of services and premium content to all registered PlayStation Network* and Qriocity account services. The details of this program will continue to be detailed regionally.

* Only available for those countries with access to PlayStation®Store.

Hackers threaten more attacks against Sony

An alleged hacker who had reportedly succesfully infiltrated Sony BMG's Japanese website has been threatening yet more action against the platform holder via micro-blogging site Twitter.

“We're working on another Sony operation,” user LulszSec wrote. “We've condensed all our excited tweets into this one: this is the beginning of the end for Sony.”

This isn’t the first occasion that LulszSec has spoken publicly over plans to attack Sony. Just yesterday, he posted the following message:

"Sony happens when Sony happens - we're celebrating our victory right now. The fun will never stop!". The “victory” in question apparently comes from a successful hack on PBS.org.

Sony announced last week that the recent PSN hack would cost the console maker $171.2 million. The service is expected to be fully restored by the end of the week.