Robocop (2014) - In theaters February 7, 2014

Drum18

Super Moderator
Premium Supporter
May 3, 2011
Montreal
From IMDB:
In RoboCop, the year is 2029 and multinational conglomerate OmniCorp is at the center of robot technology. Their drones are winning American wars around the globe and now they want to bring this technology to the home front. Alex Murphy is a loving husband, father and good cop doing his best to stem the tide of crime and corruption in Detroit. After he is critically injured in the line of duty, OmniCorp utilizes their remarkable science of robotics to save Alex’s life. He returns to the streets of his beloved city with amazing new abilities, but with issues a regular man has never had to face before.
With Joel Kinnaman, Samuel L. Jackson & Gary Oldman

Trailer 2:
[media=youtube]xPLSpmAtc1Q[/media]

Trailer 1:

Attachments

• 829328429.jpg
    829328429.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 249
  • robocopster-small.jpg
    robocopster-small.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 348
  • 01.jpg
    01.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 239
Last edited by a moderator:
If you go watch this, despite numerous nods, you need to put the original aside in your head. This is much more a reinterpretation than it is a remake which was probably the best way of approaching it. Dunno how much more die hard loyalists of the original will take it but I enjoyed this alternate look at the idea of a Robocop. Curious to see how a sequel would follow up on it, I sure as hell prefer this over anything ever made in the franchise bar the original.

Going to watch this on Wednesday evening.... going to try my hardest to go in with an open mind

was kinda the same myself before i saw it, especially as i didn't think the trailer was up to much, but honestly i thought it was decent enough, certainly worth watching, doesn't and isn't worth comparing to the original version definitely not as bloody and violent though maybe thats the point, in no way a disaster like the total recall remake, revisioning, re-imagining or whatever you want to call it

What's it like for kids Mr Blue? Is it entertaining enough for them? My two are quite eager to see it, and the rating will allow them to, but just wondering if there is plenty of action in there for them?

Overall, this movie doesn't seem to have any buzz and most people seem to think it's going to be a disappointment, but I really enjoyed it when I went to see it tonight. It was opening night here in the states, and it was not crowded at all. But I think once word of mouth gets out, more people will start to go see it. I think it's solid.

Saw this last night.... here's my thoughts

Ok, some brief 'Robocop' remake thoughts.

If you grew up with the original then there is no way shape or form you can look at this as a standalone movie and because of that this is a poor remake but a half decent attempt at the same time and is one of the better remakes of recent years.

What I did like about this is the relationship between Robo-Murphy and the family. It delves into more of that side of it which is something the original never really touched on in great deal. ED-209s lost their charm in this because of CGI but they were pretty cool. Also it does touch upon the political side of America that the original did, but loses out on a lot of the black humour.

There are nods to the original showing the original suit and I love the fact they kept the original theme tune

Cast - Very good! Kinnaman was OK as Murphy, Gary Oldman was good, but I found him to be in autopilot doing his thing as Dr Norton, Jackie Haley was decent enough but the stand out for me was Michael Keaton! If anything it proves he could still be 'Beetlejuice'!

Rating - 12A!!!!! What the hell were they thinking?? Robocop is NOT for kids!! This at bare minimum should've been a 15. The 12A certainly shows where things were trimmed, etc with the violence and blood missing from the movie.

Pic and sound - This will look and sound awesome in your home cinema.

There'll no doubt be other things I'll think of to add to this.

I did enjoy this more than I thought would as many of you know I was dead against this remake and would mark it 2.5/5 and will happily rewatch it when it's released on BD.

I just finished watching the remastered original movie. Robocop was probably my most watched movie when it was released onto VHS. I could almost remember every line spoken.

After watching the original again I'm not sure I want to watch this remake, but the comments here seem to be one of 'not that bad'.

not going to do any type of write up on this. Saw it in IMAX, was not impressed. Will only re-watch if an unrated release or Director's Cut is released.

OK I saw this on Fri. Having grown up with the original I was a bit leery of this one, however while not awed I did enjoy the movie. That said here are a few things I liked and a few I did not.

What I liked:
Some good effects
A few nods to the original movie (Lewis, Dead or Alive, Buy that for a dollar)
Samuel L Jackson and Michael Keaton
The connection between Murphy post Robocop with his family
The scenes with Robocop having his metal body removed and its just a hand and head and lungs EEK!

Unfortunately the bad:
Along with that though, they had parts of his body left, but they dissect everything from him except his hand, like wtf why keep the one hand at that point and then why not give it armor, makes no sense.

While I enjoyed Gary Oldman, his character really confused me. First he seems to be in it for the greater good, but once Sellars tells him to suppress Murphy he's like OK. You just don't get a sense of him being good or bad. Then when he is telling Murphy at the end not to leave the garage he sounds exactly like at the end of the dark knight when he is apologizing to Harvey dent. Just confused me.

It lost its dark humor that the original had

I didn't think it was as bad as Total Recall. The action sequences were pretty good. But the odd character shifts by Dr. Dennett were strange and threw the movie off for me. Inexplicably shifting from
"hero life-saving doctor"
to
"villainous corporate stooge"
at a moments notice. I know it's a story arch, but the path through the arch has some potholes. Than the whole
love conquers all
story line.
Robocop is a robot. It is not human. It only thinks he has emotions. Robocop is a protocol.

Keaton was great though. Keaton is never not great.

Last edited: