Samsung Memory Breakthrough Will Give Us 32GB RAM Sticks

Jan 29, 2009
There's almost no way to describe this tech without boring you all to death, so before I do here's the important part: basically, 32GB DDR3 consumer RAM sticks are now possible.

The breakthrough behind the story is the development of a 50-nanometer, 4Gb (gigabit) (512MB) chips, which allow for a significant reduction in complexity, and therefore power consumption for currently popular sizes of RAM modules.

The 32GB possibility will no doubt be an expensive one, as it will require the sandwiching of two 16GB modules into a single dual-die unit, a method which can double the capacity of a single stick with negligible increases in size.

It was only in September that Samsung announced 2Gb RAM modules, which would have allowed for easy manufacture of 16GB sticks—but they've been slow to come to market. The most likely result of this breakthrough will be a proliferation of 16GB sticks, which benefit from the decreased chip size without calling for expensive dual-die manufacturing.

Shoot I have 4gb in right now in my new PC and can fit up to 12gb. Who needs 32gb honestly? The thing will bee well over $1000.

The only thing that stuff is needed for is servers, consumers have absolutely no use for that, it is overkill. Most users with heavy duty applications don't even use 2GB, 4GB is probably the norm now a days, but even 4GB is too much if you are not running your OS in 64bit so 32 is really just to get your money :)

The only thing that stuff is needed for is servers, consumers have absolutely no use for that, it is overkill. Most users with heavy duty applications don't even use 2GB, 4GB is probably the norm now a days, but even 4GB is too much if you are not running your OS in 64bit so 32 is really just to get your money :)

yeah but memory is so cheap these days whats a few extra bucks for a couple more gigs

yeah but memory is so cheap these days whats a few extra bucks for a couple more gigs

too much if you are not even going to tap it's potential, I guarantee you those 32GB sticks will be over 150 a pop it won't be cheap. That money will go to my new video card fund :) I am looking into a N295 baby :) or 2 :)