Star Wars: Episode V - The Empire Strikes Back (4K+2D Blu-ray SteelBook) (Zavvi Exclusive) [UK]

Noodles

Super Moderator
Premium Supporter
Feb 28, 2011
UK
Release date: August 3, 2020
Purchase link: Zavvi (Pre-order on May 21, around 9 AM for Red Carpet , at 12 PM general sale - UK time)
Price: £29.99
Note: 3 discs

12584863-1924769381743461.jpg

12584863-1244769382074100.jpg 12584863-1434769381918943.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
There is something that I didn't realize before all of this controversy.

It's the fact that there were 2 versions of the "Gone With The Wind" inspired Empire Strikes Back posters.

I only remember the first one which I have now read was pulled because Billy Dee Williams complained that his image wasn't on it since he was playing the only main character of colour.
Perhaps this is the reason this poster isn't being used. Disney avoiding a lack of diversity controversy. Especially after having Lando return in The Rise Of Skywalker. This second poster has Lando and Boba Fett on it along with a nice orange colour. Perhaps there are reasons that it couldn't be used.

MV5BYmU1NDRjNDgtMzhiMi00NjZmLTg5NGItZDNiZjU5NTU4OTE0XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNzkwMjQ5NzM@._V1_.jpg world_record-26400_empire_strikes_back_roger_kastel_concept_poster_credit_heritage_auctions.jpg

It's the fact that there were 2 versions of the "Gone With The Wind" inspired Empire Strikes Back posters.

I only remember the first one which I have now read was pulled because Billy Dee Williams complained that his image wasn't on it since he was playing the only main character of colour.
Perhaps this is the reason this poster isn't being used. Disney avoiding a lack of diversity controversy. Especially after having Lando return in The Rise Of Skywalker. This second poster has Lando and Boba Fett on it along with a nice orange colour. Perhaps there are reasons that it couldn't be used.

View attachment 472043 View attachment 472044
The one on the right is the original poster done by Roger Kastel is was not used
Fox/lucasfilm altered the poster and removed Lando and also used different colour
The poster without lando was only used for a short time before been replaced with the one below

lucasfilm then after Billy Dee Williams complained issued a new film poster
the-empire-strikes-back-vintage-movie-poster-original-30x40-7625.jpg

PC strikes again. Well they can use the second one for all I care. They couldn't get it worse than they did with the lone Vader head.

Reactions: Leafs17 and Stygian
The one on the right is the original poster done by Roger Kastel
lucasfilm changed it and removed Lando and also used different colour
The poster without lando was only used for a short time

lucasfilm then after Billy Dee Williams complained issued a new film poster
View attachment 472052

I don't remember that poster either and I don't like it. Darth Vader's leg makes him look like he's wearing a skirt.
His whole pose makes him look like a member of KISS.

Perhaps this is the reason this poster isn't being used. Disney avoiding a lack of diversity controversy.

I honestly doubt that as the standard US 4K edition doesn't contain Lando at all. If diversity is really an issue why would they approve that?

Anyway I'd still eventually buy it if someone decided to make custom replacement front covers. I shouldn't have to, but I would for Empire if none of the others.

I actually really don’t like the orange one. Never have. The colours don’t agree with my eyes and it has the weird placements of 3P0, lando and boba. Much prefer the purple one. Easier on the eyes.
I’d take the floating head over the orange art lol

Di$ney staff #1: fans want the original poster.
DiSney staff #2: do you think the fans will like the orange version?
DiSney staff #1: hmm, that's hard to tell.
Mickey Mouse: hahaha ..how about a flying head ...you fools? hahaha
DiSney staff #1 & 2: [noddinng] flying head then.
Mickey Mouse: hahaha ok ...flying head are the sh#t right now hahaha

I don't remember that poster either and I don't like it. Darth Vader's leg makes him look like he's wearing a skirt.
His whole pose makes him look like a member of KISS.
I remember it
it was used in the Ambassador Dublin cinema and my local cinema Fairview Grand Cinema in Rep of Ireland
I went to see Empire Strikes Back 4 times in 1980 in Rep of Ireland and then again later in the year in Northern England

There was a few different posters created for Empire Strikes Back in cinemas showings
5 different posters was used in 1980
There was also new posters created for the re-release 1981 and also for the 1990 10th anniversary cinema showings

The one on the right is the original poster done by Roger Kastel is was not used
It was never used as a poster but does feature on the back of the soundtrack album.

A colour altered version of the Lando-less poster was used on the back of the previous Empire steelbook. So they probably still have it on file ready to go.

It was never used as a poster but does feature on the back of the soundtrack album.

A colour altered version of the Lando-less poster was used on the back of the previous Empire steelbook. So they probably still have it on file ready to go.
For a later steelbook release be used possible

These new 4K steelbooks of the original trilogy with them having a summer release date Scanavo would very likely have already manufactured the steelbooks.

The empire strikes back steelbook is still going to sell out just not as quickly as a new hope did.

Those cancelling a new hope orders these will be purchased quickly when back in stock it wont affect sales at all

Ok.

I'm officially ok for not getting the first one. Easy pass for this series.

LOL.

Good luck for scalpers ... :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl: