Star Wars: Episode V - The Empire Strikes Back (4K+2D Blu-ray SteelBook) (Zavvi Exclusive) [UK]

Noodles

Super Moderator
Premium Supporter
Feb 28, 2011
UK
Release date: August 3, 2020
Purchase link: Zavvi (Pre-order on May 21, around 9 AM for Red Carpet , at 12 PM general sale - UK time)
Price: £29.99
Note: 3 discs

12584863-1924769381743461.jpg

12584863-1244769382074100.jpg 12584863-1434769381918943.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Not really advocating it. You could say they are ignoring the situation, but they are obviously not ignorant about the situation (they have at the very least seen the negative feedback on their web and erased it several times now).
Why are they ignoring it? I don't know, I'm not Zavvi CEO. If I had to guess it would be because they can't do anything about it so the less they say, the less they will have to deal with angry mobs. The more they engage the more man hours they will spend solving nothing.
And the bottom line is they will sell out regardless.

Reactions: St4rlord
This comment right here. Exactly what happened to me. A few years ago I was probably buying 95% of the steelbooks released in the UK and even picking up others whilst on holiday in the States.

More often I found myself questioning why I spent so much money on something that I disliked so I gradually reduced my pre-orders to only ones I really liked to the point that I've only ordered one steelbook this year. Heck I'm so fussy now that I even turned down ANH because as awesome as the front is, I didn't like the fact that the back is a photo, and the front is illustrated and I prefer them to match.

Admittedly initially the hard part of quitting my steelbook addiction was seeing something I might have considered sell out (I quite liked Knives Out which I also passed on). Once I accepted the fact that I wouldn't have a steelbook or it I wouldn't have a complete collection, I kind of just got over after a short while. Now I don't care if I miss out.

I'm not judging anyone by the way, as I know what it's like. We are all free to make our own choices and spend our hard earned cash anyway we like. Just to be clear though, I'm certainly not buying Darth Floatious.
I do it too. Why should I pick a steel that i dislike?

Reactions: IamIroningMan
So you’re essentially advocating the ignorant approach from their team on this one?

I mean, common politeness and not being ignorant goes a long way...
He's actually being realistic. You can take what you have said into consideration but there's probably not much point. Why do you think people constantly complain about Zavvi on this forum?
To channel their inner frustration because there is no way to kick down the door to Zavvi's castle (not that many of the repeat offenders try beyond sending a message via the website mind you, if there are other means of creating ripples)
but it's not worth the hassle for most because of the reputation Zavvi has built over time and people now just accept their BS and have two choices;
a) venting on this forum about them
b) not caring anymore and saying nothing / making light of it all

Regarding general complaints about various things, there is a third option but I'm not sure how happy people have been with their experiences of option 3 and that would be contacting via other social media platforms
to get more of a 'human' interaction.

Regarding this Star Wars situation their hands are firmly tied I imagine.

Zavvi have for a long time been incompetent with customer service.
There is no contact number for a reason. Even many other (maybe not all) online retail outlets have a switchboard contact number, however frustrating, the options are there to eventually get through to somebody somewhere.
Unless I am mistaken I don't believe Zavvi have any telephone number to contact any office to discuss a customer issue?
Zavvi are smart but aren't to blame for everything (and again, for those who overlook it - they don't choose the artwork).
Look at their responses to damaged items via the website function. Most of the time it's generic replies. They don't care as long as they make their money but it's difficult even today for people to still accept that.
Do you honestly think their staff have the answers to our questions regarding this artwork or getting the artwork changed or feel obliged to be polite instead of ignorant?

Reactions: DMD4k
I think the issue for me is that the posters for these films are so iconic that we should have had steelbooks of them years ago, but we ended up with below average steelbooks where the classic poster artwork was put on the back, and even then it wasn't in its original form.

You have places like this where everyday users share epic fan concepts which are always better than what's officially announced.

It just seems like stupidity because people like Zavvi or Disney, whoever you want to blame, SOMEONE is paying a person to create lacklustre steelbook art while another perso is being paid to sign them off. Who the f*** are these people? I don't think I've never came across someone on here or other places online where they've said "Oh hey guys, I'm such a big fan of this community, I was an artist for steelbook X, Y and Z most people seem to love" or "Being someone who's in this field and done steelbook art, this is the process on how we do things". Then you have the lack of community interaction when someone like Zavvi had an account on here, yet hardly said a word, I mean we have a poll system for threads, why can't some company use it and give people the choice on the art. The whole thing is just made to look like a pipe dream that we all wish COULD happen but really it isn't.

Planetary alignment for this sort of stuff should not be hard, it shouldn't be rocket science, it should be a fairly straight forward process where the paying consumer comes out with something he's mostly happy with but when you get such silly mistakes like epic poster artwork for this film, a crappy floating disco head for the second film and then back to the epic original poster art for the last film, I mean it's mind boggling. It's a huge franchise, be smart with it.

So when are you opening up your own SteelBook creating empire? When you do then you can negotiate with Disney for the rights to the posters that you want. Then you, and only you, can find out why they aren't available.

Last edited:
Not to Zavvi, of course not. But in instances like this, Zavvi’s blatant disregard to all the questions being asked speaks absolute volumes. They literally couldn’t give a damn less about all the negativity.

Wow I guess Zavvi must have been awesome with their customers before this week.

• Haha
Reactions: DMD4k
So when are you opening up your own SteelBook creating empire? When you do then you can negotiate with Disney for the rights to the posters that you want. The you, and only you, can find out why they aren't available.
No need for snarky replies, is there? Think the general consensus is one of disdain - as stated, the original posters are extremely iconic. Not to mention they've used it for A New Hope and looks likely they'll revert back to the style for Return Of The Jedi, so this one stands out like a sore thumb. There has to be a reason why, and we're hearing nothing in terms of answers.

So when are you opening up your own SteelBook creating empire? When you do then you can negotiate with Disney for the rights to the posters that you want. The you, and only you, can find out why they aren't available.

Don't have to be assy about it, anyone here would do their own Steelbook stuff if they could.

They aren't available because they are idiots, simple as and have no idea what consumers want.

Don't worry, you can buy floaty disco head Vader if you want.

Wow I guess Zavvi must have been awesome with their customers before this week.
Don't remember a backlash as big as this for a steelbook in recent times, so I'm none too familiar with how active, or ignorant they are with relation to answering customer queries.

So you’re essentially advocating the ignorant approach from their team on this one?

I mean, common politeness and not being ignorant goes a long way...

Well I sure hope that you never plan to buy anything from Zavvi again or this attitude of theirs will have not had any effect on you.

Don't have to be assy about it, anyone here would do their own Steelbook stuff if they could.

They aren't available because they are idiots, simple as and have no idea what consumers want.

Don't worry, you can buy floaty disco head Vader if you want.

Thank you and I did.