Star Wars: Episode V - The Empire Strikes Back (4K+2D Blu-ray SteelBook) (Zavvi Exclusive) [UK]

Noodles

Super Moderator
Premium Supporter
Feb 28, 2011
UK
Release date: August 3, 2020
Purchase link: Zavvi (Pre-order on May 21, around 9 AM for Red Carpet , at 12 PM general sale - UK time)
Price: £29.99
Note: 3 discs

12584863-1924769381743461.jpg

12584863-1244769382074100.jpg 12584863-1434769381918943.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
When it's all done A New Hope and Return of the Jedi could be the titles that don't match.
In which case, why bother releasing the films in this format at all if there's going to be such a haphazard, hodge-podge approach to it??

I mean, I wouldn't pay top money for a new car that was painted jet black on the roof, bumper, bonnet and left hand side if the right hand side was painted a different colour as it would stick out a huge amount. Nor would you pay good money for a new pair of trainers if one was green and the other one was red.

As odd as the above anaologies were, I think you can understand where I'm coming from.

Last edited:
I mean, what good is paying a premium price, for a premium product as part of a set if there's no consistency involved? Does that make any kind of sense to you??

If you consider these to be a "premium product" at a "premium price" then I can understand why you don't want to purchase these when, to you, they aren't a matching set.

I don't consider individual steelbooks from major retailers (Zavvi, Best Buy, Amazon) "premium products" but I know that some do. Now if Blufans came along and released all 11 titles in 4K with the original poster art (a matching set) I would not buy them. Too rich for my blood.

In which case, why bother releasing the films in this format at all if there's going to be such a haphazard, hodge-podge approach to it??

I mean, I wouldn't pay top money for a new car that was painted jet black on the roof, bumper, bonnet and left hand side if the right hand side was painted a different colour as it would stick out a huge amount.

As odd an anology as that was, I think you can understand where I'm coming from.
If you consider these to be a "premium product" at a "premium price" then I can understand why you don't want to purchase these when, to you, they aren't a matching set.

I don't consider individual steelbooks from major retailers (Zavvi, Best Buy, Amazon) "premium products" but I know that some do. Now if Blufans came along and released all 11 titles in 4K with the original poster art (a matching set) I would not buy them. Too rich for my blood.
Of course they're premium products - if not, we wouldn't be in the business of collecting steelbooks and would settle for the standard amaray cases.

As collectors, we pay above the normal price for films for the whole presentation. While companies like Blufans go above and beyond the typical Zavvi/HMV release, standard steelbooks can still be considered 'premium', compared to standard cases.

At least that's my own opinion.

Reactions: BluSteel2012
Which brings me to my question..... Why didn't Zavvi start at the beginning with Episode 1? Why start in the middle of a series? :p
I’m fairly impressed, with the manner of the artwork as it is, that they didn’t release the films in a completely out of sync sequence either. Or, if they‘d have gone the way of the Disney collection in that they released the majority of the films in the series on steelbook, and stopped at one or two short of the whole collection.

At least I’d be able to see some humour in it if they released the films in a totally random manner...

• Haha
Reactions: DMD4k
Of course they're premium products - if not, we wouldn't be in the business of collecting steelbooks and would settle for the standard amaray cases.

As collectors, we pay above the normal price for films for the whole presentation. While companies like Blufans go above and beyond the typical Zavvi/HMV release, standard steelbooks can still be considered 'premium', compared to standard cases.

At least that's my own opinion.

Agreed that a WWA steel is considered premium when compared to an amaray case. But on a steelbook forum like HDN “premium” tends to refer to the WEA steels from the likes of Manta, Blufans etc

Agreed that a WWA steel is considered premium when compared to an amaray case. But on a steelbook forum like HDN “premium” tends to refer to the WEA steels from the likes of Manta, Blufans etc
I agree that WEA steelbooks from the aforementioned are ‘more’ premium (if thats such a thing!), but I also believe that paying a premium price for a product over what most people would pay for a standard edition makes all steelbooks premium products. Interesting to hear other takes on it though!

Which brings me to my question..... Why didn't Zavvi start at the beginning with Episode 1? Why start in the middle of a series? :p
Well BBC on Doctor Who started with Nine, then Ten, then One, then Two, then Three, then Eleven, then Four, then Twelve, and currently on Five... keeping up....good, I'm not because I missed The Specials :thumbs:
But get this right, Eleven looks nothing like the rest and they gone back to the art style that worked for Twelve. I ask you, what the Ecclefechan is that about...?
Madness, my bud, just madness, and I feel the same corporate logic is being applied to beloved loathed Star Wars...

• Haha
Reactions: DMD4k
Well BBC on Doctor Who started with Nine, then Ten, then One, then Two, then Three, then Eleven, then Four, then Twelve, and currently on Five... keeping up....good, I'm not because I missed The Specials :thumbs:
But get this right, Eleven looks nothing like the rest and they gone back to the art style that worked for Twelve. I ask you, what the Ecclefechan is that about...?
Madness, my bud, just madness, and I feel the same corporate logic is being applied to beloved loathed Star Wars...

This doctor who issue is driving me up the wall. xD

Reactions: GeoRattray
This doctor who issue is driving me up the wall. xD
Me as well, I'm now waiting the the last three Studio Ghibli steelbooks to be issued in UK and one of them will be a different art style by Studio Canal... that will be the last straw :rofl: