Star Wars: Episode V - The Empire Strikes Back (4K+2D Blu-ray SteelBook) (Zavvi Exclusive) [UK]

Noodles

Super Moderator
Premium Supporter
Feb 28, 2011
UK
Release date: August 3, 2020
Purchase link: Zavvi (Pre-order on May 21, around 9 AM for Red Carpet , at 12 PM general sale - UK time)
Price: £29.99
Note: 3 discs

12584863-1924769381743461.jpg

12584863-1244769382074100.jpg 12584863-1434769381918943.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the point is that the art has driven down demand. I bet they could have sold hundreds if not a thousand more copies of ANH (so long as that art doesn’t change, which it may)
Print run is 3,500
The reason why a new hope sold out fast was because of high demand and was limited to 3,500

Zavvi cancelled lot of bulk orders and then limited to 2 per order

Empire strikes back will take longer to sell out but it does not matter to a retailer if it takes a few days or a few weeks longer

Reactions: Stygian
It does not matter if it takes a few days or a few weeks to sell out
Print run is 3,500
The reason why a new hope sold out fast was because of high demand and was limited to 3,500

Zavvi cancelled lot of bulk orders and then limited to 2 per order

Empire strikes back will take longer to sell out but it does not matter if it takes a few days or a few weeks longer

I agree with you in that if it’s still a Sell-out eventually- Zavvi will consider it a win.

However, speaking as someone who helps their friend run a small retail store- we DO take notice when one character sells and another doesn’t.

Say for instance we straight-up don’t sell villain characters as quickly as heroes, then we won’t (or will highly consider not) ever again consider even stocking villain characters. So I highly doubt that you saying that it just “does not matter” really truly means that no one has taken notice to how slowly this is selling in comparison.

But then again, we’re not a big store. Zavvi is.
But I just thought I’d give my two cents.

Reactions: jailbird_joey
I agree with you in that if it’s still a Sell-out eventually- Zavvi will consider it a win.

However, speaking as someone who helps their friend run a small retail store- we DO take notice when one character sells and another doesn’t.

Say for instance we straight-up don’t sell villain characters as quickly as heroes, then we won’t (or will highly consider not) ever again consider even stocking villain characters. So I highly doubt that you saying that it just “does not matter” really truly means that no one has taken notice to how slowly this is selling in comparison.

But then again, we’re not a big store. Zavvi is.
But I just thought I’d give my two cents.
When you have 2 items with same print run each if both sell out quickly it does not matter if one sold out quicker than the other.

What you dont want to be doing as a buyer is be left with lot of unsold stock months after release date and having to drop price to get rid of stock.

If it's a release that sold out and you can reorder more stock that's when you look at how many you reorder and need to be careful not to over order or under order

Reactions: FN-2187
You can’t stick up for them ignoring questions on social media and not doing their job by providing a customer service. You can’t. It’s bad customers service regardless if they are known for that anyway. I’ve worked in customer service for my last few jobs over the past decade and no other retailer company would simply ignore that many questions. Even if they just answered one of the “will you be changing the art to keep in line with the other 2” with the truth that they can’t and it’s out of their hands. But for some reason zavvi in particular don’t like to be honest in those situations. They’d rather hide behind a rock and pretend they can’t see the comments and reviews. They’d rather not answer to make more sales. I know drug dealers that are more honest with better customer service!!! Lol

Okay they will get sh!t for it online but at least it gives some clarity on the issue with the art and where they stand with it. Even if they are trying to get it changed behind the scenes which they might be then say it. It’s terrible customer service, terrible communication and even worse when they are ignoring hundreds of social media posts but answering the odd “when is this out” “how many discs” questions. If they were honest and just addressed the situation then the constant questions about the art would die down. They do NOT make it easy for themselves

it’s embarrassing. Makes them look so small and unprofessional

Thats exactly what they've always done. Hide behind a rock lol

Reactions: Flloydo
I'd wish this would be the final Steelbook cover......

Attachments

• the-empire-strikes-back-vintage-movie-poster-original-1-sheet-27x41-7424.jpg
    the-empire-strikes-back-vintage-movie-poster-original-1-sheet-27x41-7424.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 105
The clue is in the title. The EMPIRE Strikes Back......

This film the spotlight is on the villian(s)

Oh I know. I was just referring to the fact that so many people are upset with the Vader head steelbook for Empire.

I've read in a few places now that even George Lucas wanted the emphasis to be on Vader on the posters.

Reactions: BluSteel2012
Oh I know. I was just referring to the fact that so many people are upset with the Vader head steelbook for Empire.

I've read in a few places now that even George Lucas wanted the emphasis to be on Vader on the posters.
Also, I guess Vader was more prevalent in the marketing in the lead up to this film, because this is the film where its revealed that he's Lukes father.

You can’t stick up for them ignoring questions on social media and not doing their job by providing a customer service. You can’t. It’s bad customers service regardless if they are known for that anyway. I’ve worked in customer service for my last few jobs over the past decade and no other retailer company would simply ignore that many questions. Even if they just answered one of the “will you be changing the art to keep in line with the other 2” with the truth that they can’t and it’s out of their hands. But for some reason zavvi in particular don’t like to be honest in those situations. They’d rather hide behind a rock and pretend they can’t see the comments and reviews. They’d rather not answer to make more sales. I know drug dealers that are more honest with better customer service!!! Lol

Okay they will get sh!t for it online but at least it gives some clarity on the issue with the art and where they stand with it. Even if they are trying to get it changed behind the scenes which they might be then say it. It’s terrible customer service, terrible communication and even worse when they are ignoring hundreds of social media posts but answering the odd “when is this out” “how many discs” questions. If they were honest and just addressed the situation then the constant questions about the art would die down. They do NOT make it easy for themselves

it’s embarrassing. Makes them look so small and unprofessional

Them answering other people’s questions in the sea of complaints is the most annoying thing they’re doing. They know the backlash is there they just come off ignorant

@FN-2187 It is is saying SOLD OUT.

Not sure if its zavvis scare tactics. Was hoping for it to not sell out on the off chance of changing it
Hmm yes, sold out (for now). If this is a tactic for buyers to get them whilst stocks last as it comes available again, I think given their manual stock system & what has happened to to other steelbooks that should have limited stocks return - it isn't happening in this day and age at release date.. they're going to be sitting on a stockpile of steelbooks regardless of title for a long time..

Reactions: djjez83
Hmm yes, sold out (for now). If this is a tactic for buyers to get them whilst stocks last as it comes available again, I think given their manual stock system & what has happened to to other steelbooks that should have limited stocks return - it isn't happening in this day and age at release date.. they're going to be sitting on a stockpile of steelbooks regardless of title for a long time..
If they have stock available after cancellations they will sell them and the stock will be purchased.

This was always going to sell out it just took a few hours longer than a new hope

I disagree with the notion that it doesn't matter to a retailer if an item sells out in 3 weeks or 3 months. If the item hasn't sold out in 3 months it would likely be put in the sales to try and get rid of the stock. That means less profit margin for the retailer.

Zavvi would clearly like products to be sold out sooner rather than later, who wouldn't?

I do agree its bad customer service to not respond to customer complaints, especially when the complaints are in such large amount- it means that are actively avoiding addressing the issue. The exact opposite of customer service!

Zavvi could simply confirm the artwork is final and end the discussion.