Star Wars: Episode V - The Empire Strikes Back (4K+2D Blu-ray SteelBook) (Zavvi Exclusive) [UK]

Noodles

Super Moderator
Premium Supporter
Feb 28, 2011
UK
Release date: August 3, 2020
Purchase link: Zavvi (Pre-order on May 21, around 9 AM for Red Carpet , at 12 PM general sale - UK time)
Price: £29.99
Note: 3 discs

12584863-1924769381743461.jpg

12584863-1244769382074100.jpg 12584863-1434769381918943.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Not a poster, but the cover of the programme:
1596142953712.png

Not that I'm defending the choice made for the steelbook cover, BTW - I also would have preferred an image to match the rest of the set.

Yup and It's still based on the 'Teaser Poster' Art
I'm not saying it isn't, and I'm not saying it was the right choice for the steelbook cover (because it isn't in my opinion either, so I agree with the other 99.9% on here). But some people were disputing it's use when the film actually came out...

I'm not saying it isn't, and I'm not saying it was the right choice for the steelbook cover (because it isn't in my opinion either, so I agree with the other 99.9% on here). But some people were disputing it's use when the film actually came out...

And all I said was that it was still clear Zavvi's steelbook was using a 'teaser poster' for artwork rather than a 'theatrical poster'

The steelbook artwork representing movie #5 was chosen for a reason and not just to annoy potential customers . . . Lucasfilm mandated Darth Vader be the focus of the piece and it would be hard to argue that this image doesn't fulfil that singular criteria.

The importance of the Vader character to Lucasfilm can also be seen in Matt Ferguson's official 40th Anniversary poster:-

1596156066011.png
1596156209009.png

The steelbook artwork representing movie #5 was chosen for a reason and not just to annoy potential customers . . . Lucasfilm mandated Darth Vader be the focus of the piece and it would be hard to argue that this image doesn't fulfil that singular criteria.

Do you have any factual justification to assert that or is it just your opinion?

The 40th Anniversary artwork is great...

In fact many of the art works across the series are great - teaser art, theatrical poster art, reissue art; are great...

I suspect its the lack of continuity across the steelbook set that ''annoyed' customers and Star Wars Fans and the failure of Zavvi to respond to it that really upset them.

Reactions: Leafs17
If ESB is all about Vader and that is what they wanted to put on the cover, then why didn't they go full hog and release this on Father's day. Another Disney missed opportunity.

That still doesn’t explain why they went with the advance version rather than the revised theatrical release poster of Vader. People probably still wouldn’t have liked it, but at least it would have been consistent in theme, if not style. I am wondering if the artwork selector just made a mistake.

There will forever be a hole in my heart that this wasn't changed. We almost had a perfect set of not just Steelbooks for the trilogy but cases in general.
There is no logic to using this poster and keeping the others for the saga. It feels like someone had a missing piece in their jigsaw puzzle and decided to borrow one from another set just to complete the picture.

Do you have any factual justification to assert that or is it just your opinion?

The 40th Anniversary artwork is great...

In fact many of the art works across the series are great - teaser art, theatrical poster art, reissue art; are great...

I suspect its the lack of continuity across the steelbook set that ''annoyed' customers and Star Wars Fans and the failure of Zavvi to respond to it that really upset them.
Even though the Vader big head is different to the others announced in this steelbook collection it's still the first poster anyone ever saw publicising the film and the only one sent to cinemas in 1979 so it's indelibly linked ...
... and after the quickly withdrawn "Gone With the Wind" error poster was replaced by the Tom Jung (and others, including this one for Japan by Noriyoshi Ohrai) which all included the Llando character as they should ...
... leaving the choice of two design options for the steelbook front - option A: Big Head Vader or option B: Jung/Ohrai . . . looks like the power-that-be went for option A

1596194887376.png1596194850925.png1596194614553.png 1596196438698.png

Dispatch message received @12:30

Even though the Vader big head is different to the others announced in this steelbook collection it's still the first poster anyone ever saw publicising the film and the only one sent to cinemas in 1979 so it's indelibly linked ...
... and after the quickly withdrawn "Gone With the Wind" error poster was replaced by the Tom Jung (and others, including this one for Japan by Noriyoshi Ohrai) which all included the Llando character as they should ...
... leaving the choice of two design options for the steelbook front - option A: Big Head Vader or option B: Jung/Ohrai . . . looks like the power-that-be went for option A

The fact remains its is a teaser poster not a theatrical poster that has been used for the artwork.

(Made all the more unintelligible by the fact there are many theatrical posters to choose from. All of which would have fit better with a set of steelbooks, otherwise entirely using theatrical posters for their artwork.)

Reactions: Leafs17