Star Wars merchandise event here

11216153-1764371078453306.jpg 11216153-5174371078496032.jpg

How to get 10% off:
1) Add it to your basket by CLICK HERE
2) Click here to activate the offer
3) Go back to your basket and apply discount code ZAVWEL54 into your basket
4) Voià! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
im getting the impression some of the defensive review are written by zavvi themselves lol

they wont even publish my reviews lol

I agree Levi! Some of them are decidedly snarky and snipey, to the point where it's beyond someone even being objective, it's like they're taking it as a personal insult others don't like it?! Really odd.

I posted two reviews now on it, neither were rude or abusive, just honest about the dissapointment over the art, and the annoyance that the prelim mock up art we always get and make our decision to buy on is always stunning, then shortly before release they always reveal some lacklustre final design with no titles, it's a bait and switch (not that I even worded it that way) and neither of them have been published.

It leave a rather bitter taste in the mouth about the way zavvi value their customers and feedback, so I will be taking my business elsewhere I'm future. I'd rather pay ten quid extra to buy from a decent retailer like kimchi than deal with these monkeys, and their customer service is appalling.

I agree Levi! Some of them are decidedly snarky and snipey, to the point where it's beyond someone even being objective, it's like they're taking it as a personal insult others don't like it?! Really odd.

I posted two reviews now on it, neither were rude or abusive, just honest about the dissapointment over the art, and the annoyance that the prelim mock up art we always get and make our decision to buy on is always stunning, then shortly before release they always reveal some lacklustre final design with no titles, it's a bait and switch (not that I even worded it that way) and neither of them have been published.

It leave a rather bitter taste in the mouth about the way zavvi value their customers and feedback, so I will be taking my business elsewhere I'm future. I'd rather pay ten quid extra to buy from a decent retailer like kimchi than deal with these monkeys, and their customer service is appalling.

Completely agree with you.

Sick of Zavvis antics to be honest.

Best Buy managed to get STAR WARS debossed on the front so at least it matches the other sets of steelbooks recently released. But yet Zavvi has no front title and no spine. Why they thought that was a good idea is beyond belief.

same with me, a totally inoffensive review, merely expressing my dislike for no title on the steel. i dont know why they offer the ability to leave reviews with 1 star if they are going to manipulate the amount of 1 star reviews a product they carry can receive. its dishonest. they should appreciate the feedback so they can improve in future, instead of trying to deceive customers by manipulating reviews.

as you said, it leaves a very bad taste

Last edited:
Completely agree with you.

Sick of Zavvis antics to be honest.

Best Buy managed to get STAR WARS debossed on the front so at least it matches the other sets of steelbooks recently released. But yet Zavvi has no front title and no spine. Why they thought that was a good idea is beyond belief.

Same WWA for rest of the world. So you can't blame Zavvi.

Maybe if UK gets out EU we may not see these title less spines !

Same WWA for rest of the world. So you can't blame Zavvi.

Maybe if UK gets out EU we may not see these title less spines !
Even if the UK left the EU it would still be Disney UK getting stock from Disney Europe and be the same release
Disney Europe supply Europe and Asia markets regardless if a country is a member of the EU
The same steelbook is been released in other european countries not part of the European Union.

It's down to where scanavo plant is and the countries release is produced for that market
Scanavo Europe and Asia
Scanavo USA/Canada

If Scanavo setup manufacturing in the UK and produced steelbooks just for the UK then you could have steelbooks been made exclusive to the UK
Disney though would choose the Europe plant as it saves money to use one location for multiple countries especially for a same film release that is been released in multiples countries.

Disney Europe and Disney USA/Canada are a separate setup

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: InAFalsetto
The american release looks awesome. But I just did the math. Are we really talking about $60-$70 shipped to Europe? Like a premium steelbook from Asian? And we don't even know if it's region free?

Reactions: harry
The american release looks awesome. But I just did the math. Are we really talking about $60-$70 shipped to Europe? Like a premium steelbook from Asian? And we don't even know if it's region free?
It's because the shipping costs are high
If you have other releases from USA you are interested in you can save money by combining if with the same group buy host
I have requests for 3 different releases and the postage cost you pay for 1 steelbook covers the 3 of them
If you don't have other releases you are interested in then yes it works out expensive it you only ordering 1 Steelbook

Why are shipping costs from the US so high? I'm not talking about group buys, just generally.

It's the main reason I wont order from the US (that and customs charges), no matter how much I might like a steelbook's design. There's no denying the FS and BB (neither of whom ship to the UK) versions are better than the European one, but getting hold of one at a reasonable overall price is impossible unless you're willing to wait.

At this point, ordering from Zavvi is just so much easier for me. I'm not a fan of title-less steelbooks, and I'm just as annoyed by Disney's approach to it as everyone else, but it'll never change. Flooding Zavvi's comments section isn't going to change anything, and to be fair, Zavvi have no control over the design. If I were them, I'd delete them too.

Unfortunately perhaps, whether we like it or not, Disney titles still sell out regardless of having titles on them. There's no lesson for them to learn. Keep it cheap and sell them anyway. Let the die-hards spend twice as much and order from the US where Disney US get the money. It's a win-win for them.

Reactions: lgans316
Flooding Zavvi's comments section isn't going to change anything, and to be fair, Zavvi have no control over the design. If I were them, I'd delete them too.
Why?
You give people the option to give their opinion on items through a review section (which can be very helpful for customers considering to buy a certain item). But if many people don't like a certain item you delete their reviews? That completely destroys the worth of the whole review option in the first place. I don't only want to see positive comments on an item. That has no value for me when considering buying an item. I want to know all opinions. Otherwise all that remains is propaganda.

Doesn't look like Zavvi will be publishing my review - apparently they don't appreciate honest feedback. As with other people here they've censored, I was not rude in the slightest : merely listing the elements I do not like about this release.

In the meantime they've published this 5-star review :

I have a huge steelbook collection and I can confirm that the majority of them do not have titled artwork. Oh and for those of you moaning about it not even matching the other six - steelbooks are a unique design. They always have been so why does it need to match? The amount of ignorant people on here leaving reviews on something that they do not even physically own yet is amusing. The Kylo Ren design looks awesome. If you want titled artwork then simply purchase an alternate edition. No one is making you purchase this!

How many steelbooks in your collection don't have the title on the spine, you genius? Also complaining about reviews from people who don't own an as-yet unreleased product in your own review seems somewhat hypocritical.

WILL NOT purchase a steelbook without title on spine : this moronic practice is happening far too often of late.

Shipping from US and Canada has always been expensive than shipping from the UK and some parts of EU. UK / EU retailers have been very kind to the rest of the world with cheap postage and low priced Steelbooks and bixsets Lots of UK retailers ship overseas unlike US retailers who don't. Yet the Americans complain about being ripped off and lecture us to pay customs duty which is a measly £15.

Continue to poo in every UK thread and expect the same in the Asian threads who get excused despite releasing exactly the same Steelbook for double the price.. :)

Last edited:
Why?
You give people the option to give their opinion on items through a review section (which can be very helpful for customers considering to buy a certain item). But if many people don't like a certain item you delete their reviews? That completely destroys the worth of the whole review option in the first place. I don't only want to see positive comments on an item. That has no value for me when considering buying an item. I want to know all opinions. Otherwise all that remains is propaganda.

I'd leave some of them.

In all honesty, I'd have an automated comments system like Amazon where everything is published unless it fails on pre-set grounds. That said, even Amazon's reviews are fairly worthless most of the time. If every single comment is about a title-less design, and, if Zavvi comments are moderated, then they might as well delete some. You don't need 100 the same when it's clear from their own picture there's no title on it and 10 comments will cover it.

I really don't care for Zavvi's comments section (or customer service), but I get a bit bored with all the negativity towards them when it comes to Disney titles. Every single time, the same voices crop up complaining about it and the same few explain why it is what it is. It's always the Zavvi Star Wars/The Good Dinosaur/Frozen/Ant-Man/Age of Ultron thread that gets filled with 'why Zavvi why?', 'come on Zavvi, stop with the lack of titles', 'Zavvi must have some say' comments whereas the Amazon.de/MediaMarkt/JB Hi-Fi don't even though the steelbook is identical.

When it comes to initial releases, Zavvi have no say over anything (short of a bonus disc occasionally), all they are, are retailers. They sell (or try to) only what they're sent. Sure, they wanted The Force Awakens, it's a huge title, but I'll bet you anything, they'd rather have one that looks like the BB or FS version (so as to avoid comments and to please collectors), but they've got what they've got. You know, like France, Germany, Australia, Czech, Spain, Denmark... And so on, and so forth.

Simple solution although I know it would not be liked by a lot especially the zavvi haters :LOL: is a review can only be posted by customers that is a confirmed purchase and has been delivered

A lot of reviews that get posted on both Amazon and Zavvi the customer not even got delivery yet and I find most of the time of no use to me to consider if I purchase or not

I like to read reviews of a confirmed purchase by a customer who has paid and received delivery of their order especially the ones with actual photos of the item for sale

Amazon UK website is a shambles in regarding reviews it's all over the place with older releases reviews appearing in a new updated better releases and people use it to review a movie and not an actual product review they ordered and received

None of the reviews on Zavvi right now are reviews of an item ordered and delivered

I prefer to read a review that is about the item for sale and is by a customer who has got delivery and that applies to both positive and negative reviews

Zavvi should have a comments section like amazon have for customers to ask questions about a release and use that for opinions what they like to see a release be but be separate from the reviews
It can also be used to reply about a release by customers to provide info another customer asked about
What extras are on a release etc

Last edited:
Reactions: Obi Wan Dandobi
Just a couple of points in response to your comments:

I'd leave some of them.

Every single time, the same voices crop up complaining about it and the same few explain why it is what it is. It's always the Zavvi Star Wars/The Good Dinosaur/Frozen/Ant-Man/Age of Ultron thread that gets filled with 'why Zavvi why?', 'come on Zavvi, stop with the lack of titles'.

When it comes to initial releases, Zavvi have no say over anything (short of a bonus disc occasionally), all they are, are retailers. They sell (or try to) only what they're sent. but they've got what they've got. You know, like France, Germany, Australia, Czech, Spain, Denmark... And so on, and so forth.

This is a forum though, for a niche market of collectors who pay a higher premium to collect these steels. When a retailer is charging £10+ more for the exact same disc but in a metal case, customers are naturally going to have strong opinions on those cases, especially when it's clear that little thought or effort has gone into their design, or they've been lured into a preorder with stunning artwork they got excited for, only to have it replaced with some subpar later on. We are here to discuss steelbooks after all are we not? I wouldn't join a forum just to blow smoke up companies ar**s over every release. Surely we're here to comment on the good and the bad and offer praise where deserved and constructive criticism where needed. Where's the conversation in a thread of 40 people all saying 'it's nice'. Why would we even bother.

I get you may not like seeing those comments, but the very fact that they continually happen at all is testimony to the fact it highly irritates a lot of collectors. That's not good for any of us, it's a really really small market that collect these, so when you get max exodus on a title it tells them it's not worth them producing them in the first place.

With respect, complaining about others complaining is just as bad. If customers are buying something, they have a right to comment on it. No one is forcing anyone to read a thread, if those people who 'crop up' irritate so much then I'd suggest putting them (and me) on ignore, because the whole time I'm signing up to buy a £25 steelbook with beautiful art and spine title only to have it switched on me for something dire with no title - I'm darn well gonna complain, as we all should.

You wouldn't order a sizzling juicy steak from the restaurant menu for £25 and then be happy when a frozen Asda beef burger comes out would you?!

As for zavvi putting up with whatever theyre sent. Not quite true. Film Arena, who I believe are Czech, are advertising the same steel as the Best Buy edition. Even if they weren't, it's not a case of Zavvi accepting whatever's flung st them, they have buyers just like any retailer. If they aren't sure they can sell something and turn a profit worth their time, they simply won't buy and offer it.

Now sure, a Star Wars steel is a no brainier, but the crux of it is, people like myself speak up on this spineless title issue, because theres absolutely nothing stopping their buyers requesting stock from the title batch that Best Buy receive as they know their target market will be unhappy to receive it without titles. Once zavvi realise this issue is seriously affecting not only their sales, but also their er...reputation (self claimed) as the 'home of steelbooks' then perhaps their buyers will be less willing to accept any old steel put their way without looking at the quality of it a little closer.

Last edited:
Disney and Zavvi think were all going to be conditioned to their poor efforts and they won't hear the disapproval on one of the most anticipated movie releases.

3o7abtF7JmnWS5itaw.gif

This is a forum though, for a niche market of collectors who pay a higher premium to collect these steels. When a retailer is charging £10+ more for the exact same disc but in a metal case, customers are naturally going to have strong opinions on those cases, especially when it's clear that little thought or effort has gone into their design, or they've been lured into a preorder with stunning artwork they got excited for, only to have it replaced with some subpar later on. We are here to discuss steelbooks after all are we not? I wouldn't join a forum just to blow smoke up companies ar**s over every release. Surely we're here to comment on the good and the bad and offer praise where deserved and constructive criticism where needed. Where's the conversation in a thread of 40 people all saying 'it's nice'. Why would we even bother.

I get you may not like seeing those comments, but the very fact that they continually happen at all is testimony to the fact it highly irritates a lot of collectors. That's not good for any of us, it's a really really small market that collect these, so when you get max exodus on a title it tells them it's not worth them producing them in the first place.

With respect, complaining about others complaining is just as bad. If customers are buying something, they have a right to comment on it. No one is forcing anyone to read a thread, if those people who 'crop up' irritate so much then I'd suggest putting them (and me) on ignore, because the whole time I'm signing up to buy a £25 steelbook with beautiful art and spine title only to have it switched on me for something dire with no title - I'm darn well gonna complain, as we all should.

You wouldn't order a sizzling juicy steak from the restaurant menu for £25 and then be happy when a frozen Asda beef burger comes out would you?!

As for zavvi putting up with whatever theyre sent. Not quite true. Film Arena, who I believe are Czech, are advertising the same steel as the Best Buy edition. Even if they weren't, it's not a case of Zavvi accepting whatever's flung st them, they have buyers just like any retailer. If they aren't sure they can sell something and turn a profit worth their time, they simply won't buy and offer it.

Now sure, a Star Wars steel is a no brainier, but the crux of it is, people like myself speak up on this spineless title issue, because theres absolutely nothing stopping their buyers requesting stock from the title batch that Best Buy receive as they know their target market will be unhappy to receive it without titles. Once zavvi realise this issue is seriously affecting not only their sales, but also their er...reputation (self claimed) as the 'home of steelbooks' then perhaps their buyers will be less willing to accept any old steel put their way without looking at the quality of it a little closer.
Zavvi and other European and Asia retailers have to get their stock from Disney Distributor that is for that region which is Disney Europe/Asia

Disney USA/Canada is licenced for that market and is separate to the European Market this is why you see different steelbook differences and also disc content been different
Disney USA/Canada steelbooks are not made in the Europe Scanaco plant and is why you see them have titles on their marvel/disney steelbooks

Zavvi can only sell the Disney UK version that is from Disney Europe Division
Amazon Germany/Italy/France and all other Europe steelbook is the same one as will be the Asia release

You will most likely see in 6 months or later another steelbook release with Zavvi and most likely Blufans but not until later towards the end of this year or next year

Zavvi can't just bypass the Disney European Distribution and import the USA or Canada release it dont work like that and the same applies to the other european retailers like AmazonGermany/Italy/France etc they all have the same steelbook as Zavvi with only the Jcard going to be different

Film Arena thread has been updated to show its the same steelbook as the rest of Europe/Asia and a note that the previous image provided showing a title on front and spine might not be correct
It's been noted that Magic box have previously provided mock up images that was different to the actual release Karel is awaiting proper confirmation as to what the artwork is for the Czech release

Last edited:

As you say, it's a niche market. Steelbook sales are tiny compared to the regular amaray versions, especially on big blockbuster type movies. Even with that, Blu-ray sales figures are generally low here in the UK. It's just not performing the way studios would have liked, with many consumers going straight from DVD to streaming.

I'm not complaining per se. If every title-less steelbook thread was pages of people berating the respective retailer (Amazon, JB Hi-Fi or whoever) then I'd be fine with it (even though it's not the retailers fault), it's just unfortunate that Zavvi bring out the worst in collectors. The same dissenters come out with their vitriol, and the same defenders explain the reasons. It's tiresome.

Zavvi do have to put up with title-less steelbooks from Disney if they want the title. Sure, they can go without, but that's the only 2 options available. They seem to get first-refusal, if they say no, you can bet Disney will just offer it to Amazon and probably cut all future steelbooks from Zavvi too. Zavvi are well aware I'm sure of the situation with customers, they'd rather we got what we wanted so that they can get our money. What they can't do, is go over Disney EU's head and order a load from the US.