PS3 System Software Updates

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 29, 2009
Please use this thread for all console updates from now on.

Attachments

• sonyps3.jpg
    sonyps3.jpg
    9.3 KB · Views: 2,125
Last edited by a moderator:
maybe they'll finally add the other game company store fronts. We have a very basic Capcom one... They need to drop those classics on us and set those stores up.

I would like to know more about this flat fee... BUT i'll be annoyed if it's a monthly fee and I don't get some sort of kick back for buying up over half the PSN trophy games...

I'd rather see PS3 BC than a PS3 Slim, but that's just me. The PS3 can't move forward until the PS2 is phased out. I've said it for months... I realize they're making a ton off each unit sold, but it's time to phase it out.

the ps2 will never phaze out man it's still getting alot of exclusive games,hell i seen a new dreamcast game.as long ass it is selling more then ps3 and psp i think it should keep going you shouldn't force people to upgrade if they cant there not ms.

the ps2 will never phaze out man it's still getting alot of exclusive games,hell i seen a new dreamcast game.as long ass it is selling more then ps3 and psp i think it should keep going you shouldn't force people to upgrade if they cant there not ms.

I've been around and around with that argument before. Sony is in no way like MS because MS dropped the xbox day 1. Sony, however, has drug the PS2 on way long enough.

They need to PHASE out the ps2 and put BC into an affordable PS3. They can still make all the PS3 games they want, they'll just be played on the PS3 and those people that have a PS2.

PS2 is dated and taking steam from the PS3. Yes it's crappy how MS dumped the xbox, but look at the attach rate to the 360.

I've been around and around with that argument before. Sony is in no way like MS because MS dropped the xbox day 1. Sony, however, has drug the PS2 on way long enough.

They need to PHASE out the ps2 and put BC into an affordable PS3. They can still make all the PS3 games they want, they'll just be played on the PS3 and those people that have a PS2.

PS2 is dated and taking steam from the PS3. Yes it's crappy how MS dumped the xbox, but look at the attach rate to the 360.

dont get me wrong i understand what your saying but they say there using the the ps2 basicaly as i guess an open platform when they cancell the ps2 most of those games will become psn games anyway. an affordable ps3 everytime they drop the price people complain it's not enough i dont think people will consider it affordable till it's 99 bucks this system is young and full of potential unlike the other brand, it's good now but i can see it selling really well at 250.bc is a must though

Firmware 3.0 unleashed on September 1st

Sony has today revealed that Firmware 3.0 for PlayStation 3 will be rolled out on September 1, 2009.

According to the chaps at CVG, this latest update adds a plethroa of features, among which include animated XMB themes (one such example was illustrated during Sony's GamesCom press conference earlier today, which had LittleBigPlanet's SackBoy running around a globe behind the PS3's menu items)

In addition, Firmware 3.0 also adds a 'Whats New' section, BBC iPlayer, along with various "other great interface changes." That's all the info we have available at present, though we hope to bring you more on the update later this week.

i'm interested to see the animated backgrounds though I think they might get distracting... I still have the stock BG on my PS3.

that was the main future i was interested with the animated background. i dont think they are gonna give the tools to make those kinda themes.

idk. I think it sounds neat but I doubt I'll use it. I was more excited that they finally moved the battery meter.

you know i never even noticed that till they said something about it.but i seen the video did he say we could use like the new interface thing when we log in like the last game you played and so on.

Yeah. I X'ed off those forums. I was selling over there but kept posting there. lol. I read that you said it's supposed to work with the new themes, but I don't plan on buying them... so... lol. I'll just hate on them and keep playing.

We should get a list of all the new features up and added as they're found... I think we have most...

Additional highlights from update 3.00 include:

* “What’s New” – The “Information Board” will be replaced with a “What’s New” section, which allows you to enjoy interactive PlayStation news every time you start the PS3 system. Located under the PlayStation Network icon, “What’s New” displays the latest and greatest game, video, PlayStation Network and PlayStation news and releases, as well as your recently played games, in a sleek, new animated format.
* Status Indicator – In the top right corner we’ve added an indicator bar, which displays your user icon, friend icon, the number of friends you have online and a small message icon to let you know if you have any new messages. The indicator also includes a scrolling ticker that features the latest news from PlayStation Network. In addition, when you press the PS button, the battery life indicator will no longer cover up the clock.
* Friends List – Now your PlayStation Network friends will appear in a slightly redesigned format on your Friends List. Also, messages will now be viewable from each of your friends’ respective profiles.
* PlayStation Store Shortcuts – We’ve added a handy shortcut icon to the PlayStation Store under both the Game and Video categories so you can access the latest content quickly and easily.
* Personalization – Personalize your PS3 with new dynamic custom themes and avatars. Dynamic themes as well as free and premium avatars will be available through PlayStation Store. A dynamic theme takes your screen to a whole new level as it incorporates animated objects into the background.
* Trophies – Showcasing your hard earned trophies just got better. Update 3.00 gives game developers the ability to modify how they display trophies for add-on content. Base and add-on game trophies will continue to be combined into a single list so you can see where you stand in a game as a whole. Within that list, trophies will be broken out into subcategories—base trophies and add-on trophies—that way, you can easily view the percentage of your base game trophy collection, and separately track your trophy progress in add-on packs. Look for this enhancement to be included in upcoming games.

More System Software 3.0 Features:

GENERAL

* Access the latest PlayStation Store contents directly from the Games and Videos sections of the XMB interface
* Areas where the on-screen keyboard is shown will now allow for the ability to copy text.
* When you create folders on your media, the folders can be of the photo, music and video type.

SETTINGS

* The sound settings area let you select simultaneous audio output, which makes the system output sound simultaneously through HDMI, optical, and AV Multi. However, everything except for the connection specified in the main audio output setting outputs in 2ch only.
* Video settings adds HDD audio language and HDD subtitle language options. Using these, you view videos using language tracks and subtitles from your hard disk. Some content does not allow for these settings to be used.
* System settings adds the the ability to activate DTCP-IP. This lets you undergo internet based authorization that's required for viewing copy protected videos on a media server.

VIDEO

* When playing back video content, you can use the right stick on your wireless controller for forward and reverse

NETWORK

* "Print this page" added to the internet browser menu
* "Save screenshot" added to the internet browser menu

FRIEND

* Can view message history between friends in the profile screen.

* Version 3.0 of the the firmware will add the ability to upconvert audio from hard disc and USB sources to 88.2KHz or 176.4KHz. This is something that was added with version 1.8 exclusively for CDs.
* The right analogue stick functionality during video playback looks like it will be pretty powerful. When you push the stick in any direction, the video will pause You can then rotate the stick for speeds ranging between slow motion and four times. Rotate clockwise, and you'll advance the video. Counterclockwise will backtrack. The speed can be adjusted at a precision of 0.01 times. Let go of the stick, and the playback will continue at normal speed.
* The web browser's print screen functionality can output to a printer connected via USB and over LAN. Only certain printers are compatible though.
* This is something you might have not noticed before (I certainly never gave much thought to it). Currently, when you start up your PS3, the XMB interface begins by pointing at the games section. Starting with firmware 3.0, the interface will default to pointing at the newly added What's New section of the network column. This is true even if you have a disc in the system. You can go into the settings menu to switch back to the original behavior if you like.
* The analogue clock display in the upper right side corner of the screen has been switched to a busy indicator. When the system is working, you'll see the clock spinning.
* The font size and icon size for the main interface have become a bit bigger. This was implemented in order to better show what area is in focus.
* From version 3.0, all versions of the PS3 -- old and new -- will have a change to their startup sequences. When booting up the system for the firts time, PlayStation family logo, PS3 logo, and PlayStation 3 logo will all display simultaneously. When you start up a game, the PS3 logo will no longer be shown, giving a slight boost in speed to startup time. Note that this does not apply to original PlayStation games, as they run on an emulator.
* Version 3.0 adds support for more dynamic themes using videos and other elements. The system's base "wave" theme has also been changed to a display of fine particles. Backgrounds for such themes are created by the same SDK that's used to make games. There's a slight bit of interaction with the particle effects. If you're scrolling down, the particles will flow down. If you're scrolling left, the particles will flow left.
* I'm certain some people have figured this out already, but the slimline PS3 does not ship with System 3.0. This was due to circumstances during manufacturing. Slim buyers will have to update like the rest of us.

Status
Not open for further replies.