Release date: November 23, 2021
Purchase link: Best Buy
Price: $19.99
Group buy: hosted by apsmith21

D4F70DAB-BCE7-4DA0-92D7-A5896814A841.jpeg

Last edited:
I got the official press release from Lionsgate and can confirm @Lenny Nero

BLU-RAY™ / DIGITAL HD SPECIAL FEATURES
  • *NEW* 55 minute T2 documentary featuring Arnold Schwarzenegger, James Cameron, Edward Furlong, and more.
  • 2 Deleted Scenes with Audio Commentary
  • 2 Feature Commentaries
  • “The Making of T2” 30-Minute Featurette
  • View 3 Different Versions of the Film
  • Trailers

Subtitles: English, Spanish, French, and German subtitles
Feature Run Time: 137 minutes
4K Format: 2160p Ultra High Definition, 16x9 (2.40:1) Presentation
4K Audio: English 5.1 DTS-HD Master Audio™, French 5.1 DTS-HD Master Audio™, German 7.1 DTS-HD Master Audio™

the steelbook itself was supervised and approved by James Cameron , fyi (not in the press release)

It's the same transfer as the 2017 release
The 55 minute T2 documentary (T2: Reprogramming the Terminator) is not new as that was included in the 2017 release

Literally the only reason I can see to buy this is the cool slip over the steel. But if you're new to the steelbook game, there have been worse versions of this movie on steel, so there is that. Plus the price is appealing.

Other 'news' sites keep writing it's a new documentary, and a transfer supervised by Cameron.
Seeing all that, and what @Wreck wrote up there about the press release, it's the company themselves outright lying and misinforming everyone.
Was the 2017 transfer 'supervised' by the director, anyone know?

Other 'news' sites keep writing it's a new documentary, and a transfer supervised by Cameron.
Seeing all that, and what @Wreck wrote up there about the press release, it's the company themselves outright lying and misinforming everyone.
Was the 2017 transfer 'supervised' by the director, anyone know?
Yes and press release back in 2017 was listed as overseen by James Cameron

It's already been confirmed by StudioCanal the 30th Anniversay release is the previous restoration from 2017

The only difference if there going to be any will be the encoding of the discs between Lionsgate and StudioCanal
StudioCanal provide the 2017 transfer to Lionsgate

The main purpose of the restoration done was so it could then be converted into 3D for a release in cinemas and for home media release

James Cameron wanted fans to watch in 3D and it looks fantastic in 3D IMO

Bill Hunt also confirmed about the USA new 4K release
For those wondering at the studio's claim that it was "stunningly restored for modern viewers by Cameron himself," that accurately refers to the 3D presentation

Last edited:
It was known from moment when they announced on Twitter that 4K is old release, but yet people still don't wanna believe it.
I'm amazed by people loyality or stu*idity. Don't know which to tell the truth...
Like you know since like on every major forum - that 4K release of T2 is House of Wax terror, that this release would also be since moment SC tweeted that and i'm glad that i'll throw money into other releases. :)
I'd just like to know like literaly how many ppl will watch this in 3D and how many in 2D... If there would be no 3D this wouldn't happen, but clearly dying format fuc*ed release of one of the greatest sci-fi movies of all time. More fu*kups like this please :D.

Damn, another one that I have to buy even if not that great. But T2... Instant buy :)
Can never understand the mindset of ‘I love the film, so even if I don’t like the artwork I HAVE to own it’.

Isn’t that buying for the sake of buying, which is (and excuse me for saying this) a pointless obsession? How many copies of the same film does anyone need to own, especially if they don’t like the steelbook they’re paying a premium to own?

Haha. I love movies to the point of near obsession, but personally feel buying 3, 4 or even more versions of the exact same film is crazy & often falls to bragging rights on this site of 'look how many steelbook I own'.

Not to offend anyone by the way, as this community is genuinely wonderful, but each to their own!!

Reactions: apsmith21
It was known from moment when they announced on Twitter that 4K is old release, but yet people still don't wanna believe it.
I'm amazed by people loyality or stu*idity. Don't know which to tell the truth...

Do you mean people on this forum, or those reading all those 'news' sites?
Because noone here believed it, I was angry at some guy writing it was new, then I understood it's the studio misleading them.

Can never understand the mindset of ‘I love the film, so even if I don’t like the artwork I HAVE to own it’.

Isn’t that buying for the sake of buying, which is (and excuse me for saying this) a pointless obsession? How many copies of the same film does anyone need to own, especially if they don’t like the steelbook they’re paying a premium to own?
Yeah, at first, in 2002-07, I used to rebuy only if a new special edition came out, which back then actually meant it, had like an hour long new documentary.
Then I started gathering releases ftom other countries, when I found out they sometimes have different extras, provoked by The Fifth Element, which in the US was barebones for years, while Germany, France, had packed 2-disc SEs.
There were also two format changes, which inherently meant more rebuys. I'm actually rather glad UHD (2k) is not that good on some releases, killed by a 1080p (1k) transfer, or bad HDR.
Later, have to admit, reached the final 'stage' of buying just for the package, steelbook, booklet and/or postcards and such. But still never, if I don't like the artwork - otherwise there is no point at all. That other level beyond is a mystery to me, so as also not to offend. :smuggrin:

I like the whole SteelBook presentation but the UHD disc still has one of the worst UHD transfers the format has seen so it’s not really worth it.

Okay, I just got my copy of this 4K Steelbook and I LOVE IT!! Although I was sad to find out its based off the same WAX OF HORROR 2017 transfer... therefore, what is the best 4K/Blu-ray version to own so I can import it and just stick it in my new Steelbook? If memory serves me, I believe it was the German T2 version on standard Blu-ray that (to this date) is the best version to get, with minimal DNR. Is this still the case?? Thanks in advance.

Reactions: Shark
Okay, I just got my copy of this 4K Steelbook and I LOVE IT!! Although I was sad to find out its based off the same WAX OF HORROR 2017 transfer... therefore, what is the best 4K/Blu-ray version to own so I can import it and just stick it in my new Steelbook? If memory serves me, I believe it was the German T2 version on standard Blu-ray that (to this date) is the best version to get, with minimal DNR. Is this still the case?? Thanks in advance.
i vaguely remember that the disc inside the japanese steelbook had the best PQ for many years at least.. but that might have changed