Release date: March 12, 2024
Purchase links: Amazon - Walmart - Target
Price: $24.99
Notes; 2 cuts, slipcover in the original pressing
Group buy: posted by apsmith21

191855_front.jpg

81crdwPYQJL._SL1500_.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
except Titanic - which can go straight to graveyard of ships!
battlefield 1 time GIF

What did Titanic do to you, you're so irritable towards it?
I hated DiCaprio at the time, and that Dion song, that was playing from every kettle, worse than Imbruglia's Torn or Brooks' *****, yet I was still crying by the end, loved it, and went three more times...
They don't make such movies anymore - that tired phrase is more about Titanic, than anything ever. Look at all the green screen puke all over streaming 'product'.
Even Cameron himself went bonkers, worse than Zemeckis.

Supposedly this is true, until confirmed otherwise - from thedigitalbits on X:

Here are some quick answers for the questions you might have:
1. Both versions of The Abyss will be included on both 4K UHD and Blu-ray.
2. Both versions of Aliens will be included on both 4K UHD and Blu-ray.
3. ALL THREE VERSIONS of Avatar will be included on both 4K UHD and Blu-ray.
4. The Blu-ray versions of The Abyss and True Lies are mastered from the new 4K scans.
5. The Blu-ray versions may eventually be available separately, but for now they’re exclusive to these 4K UHD + Blu-ray Combos.
6. All 4K presentations will include Dolby Vision HDR and Dolby Atmos audio on 100 GB discs.
7. All titles except Aliens will include new special features.
8. All titles will include the legacy special features.
9. The Aliens Blu-ray is mastered from the new 4K scan as well.
10. True Lies is rated R, not PG-13 as indicated in the press release. (This was an error on the release.)

Dolby Vision :angel:

Special Features list, need to compare, but they themselves marked new ones, like with True Lies:

Theatrical Version Run Time: Approx. 145 Minutes
Special Edition Run Time: Approx. 171 minutes
Rating: U.S. Rated PG-13 Aspect Ratio
  • Digital: 2:39:1Physical: 2.39:1
Disc Size
  • 4K UHD: 100GB Blu-ray: 50GB
U.S. Audio
  • Digital: English Dolby Atmos (UHD only, some platforms), English 5.1 & 2.0 Dolby Digital, Spanish 5.1 & 2.0 Dolby Digital, French 5.1 & 2.0 Dolby Digital, English 2.0 Dolby Digital Descriptive Audio (some platforms)4K UHD Theatrical Version & Special Edition: English Dolby Atmos, English 2.0 DTS-HDMA, English 2.0 Dolby Digital Descriptive Audio, French 5.1 DTS-HDHR, Spanish 5.1 Dolby DigitalBlu-ray Theatrical Version & Special Edition: English 5.1 DTS-HDMA, English 2.0 Dolby Digital, English 2.0 Dolby Digital Descriptive Audio, French 5.1 DTS-HDHR, Spanish 5.1 Dolby Digital
U.S. Subtitles
  • Digital: English SDH, Spanish, French (some platforms)Physical: English SDH, Spanish, French
BONUS FEATURES (NEW):
Deep Dive: A Conversation with James Cameron
– An exclusive new sit-down with James Cameron as he revisits the origin of the project and addresses some of the myths behind the production.

The Legacy of The Abyss– Discover the lasting legacy of The Abyss with stories from James Cameron and the crew about how and why the film continues to have an impact on filmmaking today.

ADDITIONAL BONUS:Under Pressure: Making The Abyss
  • – The original documentary about the infamous production of
The Abyss, with candid commentary by the actors and crew.

Archives:
  • Deepcore Timelapse– Watch this production timelapse of the Deepcore set being created.
  • Videomatics Montage– Watch a montage of behind-the-scenes production videomatics.
  • Montana Bridge Flooding– See behind-the-scenes footage of the Montana bridge flooding.
  • Engine Room Flooding– See behind-the-scenes footage of the engine room flooding.
  • Surface Shoot Montage– Watch a behind-the-scenes montage of the surface shoot.
  • Crane Crash Shoot– Check out behind-the-scenes footage of the crane crashing sequence.
  • Visual Effects Reel– Watch a reel of visual effects progressions to see how they were developed for the film.
  • Miniature Rear-Projection– Watch behind-the-scenes footage of how production used rear-projection techniques on miniatures.
  • Motion Control Timelapse– Watch this production timelapse of the motion control technology being used.
  • Teaser Trailer
  • Main Trailer
  • Reviews Trailer
Still Gallery– Presented here are extras as they appeared in the “Imaging Station" on the Special Edition DVD release of The Abyss, along with the trailers. Since their original presentation has been preserved, resolution and clarity will vary from element to element.

Looks like UK will not be getting a release of The Abyss on Blu-ray or 4K UHD

Reported on The Digital Bits Webstie

The Abyss (1989) in the UK has been cancelled, and for exactly the reason you think—the scene in which the rat is made to breath underwater. UK censors asked for the scene to be cut, Disney apparently wanted to comply, but Lightstorm vetoed it. So if you want this title in 4K and you live in the UK, you’ll have to import it from elsewhere.

USA and other Countries are not affected they will be getting the release

The Abyss (1989) in the UK has been cancelled, and for exactly the reason you think—the scene in which the rat is made to breath underwater. UK censors asked for the scene to be cut, Disney apparently wanted to comply, but Lightstorm vetoed it. So if you want this title in 4K and you live in the UK, you’ll have to import it from elsewhere.

That’s a weird request And a dumb reason to ban a movie.

That’s a weird request And a dumb reason to ban a movie.
UK DVD and VHS releases of The Abyss was cut for same reason

Reason is UK 1937 Cinematograph Films (Animals) Act
BBFC are strict on this

Exceptions are
Example a documentary showing animals in distress or be killed or get injured is something that would have taken place regardless of whether or not it had been filmed.

Another example where the act did not apply
Apocalypse Now
The animal slaughter scene in that film (a water buffalo, or carabao) was killed - but not for the film. The tribe in the film was a real indigenous tribe that lived in the area, and they had already decided to slaughter it. Coppola merely decided to film the event and edit it into the film
This latter point of the act largely applies to documentary producers, though scenes such as the climactic sacrifice in Apocalypse Now (US, d. Francis Coppola, 1979) have also benefited.

The Abyss is different because it was a film that deliberately shows causing distress to a animal and not a natural event that's not allowed under the act

The Abyss rat scene it's not something that would have taken place regardless of whether or not it had been filmed.
It's not a natural event it was done deliberately for the film

The rat demonstration scene in The Abyss was unsimulated and used real-life oxygenated breathing fluid

Lightstorm should have allowed Disney release cut version on Blu-ray and UHD in UK

Hang on.
My old UK DVD and VHS both had this scene in. I'm sure they did. I've watched it many times and know the sequence. I swear it's in there. Or was it cut by a few seconds as the rat struggles? If it's been cut before and release, why can't they agree to it now. Bloody stupid.
So, would this be a new request for the cuts to be made for a new print?

Hang on.
My old UK DVD and VHS both had this scene in. I'm sure they did. I've watched it many times and know the sequence. I swear it's in there. Or was it cut by a few seconds as the rat struggles? If it's been cut before and release, why can't they agree to it now. Bloody stupid.
So, would this be a new request for the cuts to be made for a new print?
The Abyss Special Edition UK DVD and VHS releases was cut

It was not a new request by BBFC
Same cut as previous

Disney agreed with BBFC to comply but Lightstorm Entertainment the production company (founded by James Cameron) vetoed doing the same cut again for a UK 4K release

Reactions: hoppusdelonge
Good... I've just put the link here too, so whomever read this thread (as I did) to immediately can go and order this GREAT MOVIE (and also greatly miss regarded). Now we'll also have the link to the HDN thread, for those that want to read more about that specific edition, therefore, thanks for the link here! :thanks:

EDIT: Also, 18 December doesn't feel like „few weeks ago”, Paul.... :naughty: :rofl:;)