Purchase links: Amazon - Walmart - Target
Price: $24.99
Notes; 2 cuts, slipcover in the original pressing
Group buy: posted by apsmith21

191855_front.jpg

81crdwPYQJL._SL1500_.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hang on.
My old UK DVD and VHS both had this scene in. I'm sure they did. I've watched it many times and know the sequence. I swear it's in there. Or was it cut by a few seconds as the rat struggles? If it's been cut before and release, why can't they agree to it now. Bloody stupid.
So, would this be a new request for the cuts to be made for a new print?

i remember this scene well in the cinema on initial release because you could see the fluid actually worked :wow:, which made the later descent sequence much more believable :thumbs: , and was always surprised to see it was cut in the home DVD release. if i remember right, they cut it so the rat is put in the water, but then the rest of the scene is the actors talking, and you don't see the rat again until it's out of the water,

The Abyss Special Edition UK DVD and VHS releases was cut

It was not a new request by BBFC
Same cut as previous

Disney agreed with BBFC to comply but Lightstorm Entertainment the production company (founded by James Cameron) vetoed doing the same cut again for a UK 4K release

if i am right about the prior home dvd cut, Lightstorm refusing to do the same for 4K for about 5 seconds of film is one of the more stupid decisions i have heard for a while. :facepalm: not just for how easy and relatively cheap (?) it would be to do it, but they are losing a lot of potential UK revenue as a result. arse backwards decisions. :asshat:

Hang on.
My old UK DVD and VHS both had this scene in. I'm sure they did. I've watched it many times and know the sequence. I swear it's in there. Or was it cut by a few seconds as the rat struggles? If it's been cut before and release, why can't they agree to it now. Bloody stupid.
So, would this be a new request for the cuts to be made for a new print?
Every UK release including in cinemas has been cut by around 45 seconds, they partially achieved this by reframing the image so the rat struggling was not shown on screen, but you could see people reacting to it. I think a lot of people's brains are filling in the blanks and they swear they saw stuff that wasn't there, like the shower scene in Psycho.

Reactions: TheWildEye
Channel 4 in UK years ago by mistake broadcast the uncut version of the Abyss Special Edition
BBFC gave Channel 4 a warning not to repeat that mistake if they plan to broadcast again

Note
What happened in regards to the Abyss when film was released in UK
British Veterinary Association made a complaint
BBFC checked the rat scene after consultation with RSPCA then later applied the UK 1937 Cinematograph Films (Animals) Act to have that scene cut

The original UK Cinema release and VHS release was uncut version that how some saw the rat scene uncut in UK previously this was the theatrical version
What happened was British Veterinary Association made a complaint after the original release of the theatrical cut

The BBFC after the complaint was made then applied to have the film checked in regards to the rat scene in the Film
BBFC are required to check films after a complaint is made and then make a decision if that complaint is upheld or not

When the Theatrical Cut was released on (UK DVD and also the VHS had a re-release) and when the Special Edition Cut was released on UK DVD and VHS that was when the rat scene cut was applied to both Theatrical and Special Edition cuts due to BBFC applying the cut under the UK 1937 Cinematograph Films (Animals) Act

UK cinema screenings of the Abyss special edition also was the cut version

The rat scene cut also applied to the Under Pressure: Making the Abyss" 1993 documentary on UK DVD releases of the Abyss

Note in 2017
BBFC in UK was considering change to have the film available as uncut
After consultation again with RSPCA it was decided that they could not

The issue for consideration was whether in the Board's view, the sequence
contravened The Cinematograph Films (Animals) Act 1937. Specifically
whether it was "organised or directed" for the purpose of the film in a way that
involved cruelty to the rats (five of which were used in the sequence). The
RSPCA's advice was that it did contravene the act.

7. The Board considered the legal test and concluded that it could not waive the
entirety of the 1989 cut, but that the extent of the cuts could be reduced.

Reactions: K1SK1S
Apple USA has messed up iTunes version of The Abyss for those that purchased 4K Dolby Vision digital release from the store

The Abyss 4K version of the Theatrical Cut has reverted to HD today or yesterday
Was 4K when I previously checked it a few days ago

Both Theatrical Cut and Special Edition playback now is in HD
It's listed as 4K HDR in my library but not when you click play

When I purchased a few weeks ago the Theatrical Cut playback was 4K Dolby Vision + Dolby Atmos it's now changed to HD
Special Edition listed in extras also still is HD and not changed

Channel 4 in UK years ago by mistake broadcast the uncut version of the Abyss Special Edition
BBFC gave Channel 4 a warning not to repeat that mistake if they plan to broadcast again

Note
What happened in regards to the Abyss when film was released in UK
British Veterinary Association made a complaint
BBFC checked the rat scene after consultation with RSPCA then later applied the UK 1937 Cinematograph Films (Animals) Act to have that scene cut

The original UK Cinema release and VHS release was uncut version that how some saw the rat scene uncut in UK previously this was the theatrical version
What happened was British Veterinary Association made a complaint after the original release of the theatrical cut

The BBFC after the complaint was made then applied to have the film checked in regards to the rat scene in the Film
BBFC are required to check films after a complaint is made and then make a decision if that complaint is upheld or not

When the Theatrical Cut was released on (UK DVD and also the VHS had a re-release) and when the Special Edition Cut was released on UK DVD and VHS that was when the rat scene cut was applied to both Theatrical and Special Edition cuts due to BBFC applying the cut under the UK 1937 Cinematograph Films (Animals) Act

UK cinema screenings of the Abyss special edition also was the cut version

The rat scene cut also applied to the Under Pressure: Making the Abyss" 1993 documentary on UK DVD releases of the Abyss

Note in 2017
BBFC in UK was considering change to have the film available as uncut
After consultation again with RSPCA it was decided that they could not

The issue for consideration was whether in the Board's view, the sequence
contravened The Cinematograph Films (Animals) Act 1937. Specifically
whether it was "organised or directed" for the purpose of the film in a way that
involved cruelty to the rats (five of which were used in the sequence). The
RSPCA's advice was that it did contravene the act.

7. The Board considered the legal test and concluded that it could not waive the
entirety of the 1989 cut, but that the extent of the cuts could be reduced.
Appreciate this explanation, thank you. Good decision. No room for animal cruelty within art

Reactions: Space Cadet
Appreciate this explanation, thank you. Good decision. No room for animal cruelty within art
I hear you. Not anymore, that's understandable.
Yet, this already happened. Decades ago. It's now a forgone, past legacy. Should we cancel the whole release because of something that has already happened? Filmmaking ethics and morality has evolved. No need to cancel this.
Daft if you ask me.

Yet, this already happened. Decades ago. It's now a forgone, past legacy. Should we cancel the whole release because of something that has already happened? Filmmaking ethics and morality has evolved. No need to cancel this.
Daft if you ask me.

This too.

And then there's issue of animal cruelty behind the scenes like in original Ben Hur. Over 100 horses were killed. Do not wanna see that movie ever again.

quote "According to reports, over 100 horses were killed making gladiator epic Ben Hur, with the second-unit director reportedly ordered horses be shot and killed “if they limped,” without seeking veterinary care."

Daft if you ask me.
Daft if you ask me.
If "Filmmaking ethics and morality has evolved", then clearly some within the filmmaking industry haven't evolved enough to understand that what was offensive to people who care about animal cruelty in previous years, is equally, if not more offensive, to people that care about animal cruelty now. The fact that the act happened decades ago is a mute point. Time passing by, does not relieve or detract from atrocities within history.

The BBFC didn't completely ban the movie, they just continued to be guided by principles and the moral stance that they had previously. They asked for a few seconds of visual to be cut. I believe it was Lightstorm that decided seeing the rat suffer visually was utterly necessary for the viewer (even though the scenes dialogue still covers what's happening off camera) and therefore the movie cannot possibly be seen without it. I find their decision rather bizarre once you view it for what is. You're right there was "No need to cancel this" for such a small request indeed. Perhaps they thought they were making some artistic stance... in which case, I would then refer you back to my original point. No room for animal cruelty in art... even for the sake of an enhanced viewing format like 4k.

Last edited:
If "Filmmaking ethics and morality has evolved", then clearly some within the filmmaking industry haven't evolved enough to understand that what was offensive to people who care about animal cruelty in previous years, is equally, if not more offensive, to people that care about animal cruelty now. The fact that the act happened decades ago is a mute point. Time passing by, does not relieve or detract from atrocities within history.

The BBFC didn't completely ban the movie, they just continued to be guided by principles and the moral stance that they had previously. They asked for a few seconds of visual to be cut. I believe it was Lightstorm that decided seeing the rat suffer visually was utterly necessary for the viewer (even though the scenes dialogue still covers what's happening off camera) and therefore the movie cannot possibly be seen without it. I find their decision rather bizarre once you view it for what is. You're right there was "No need to cancel this" for such a small request indeed. Perhaps they thought they were making some artistic stance... in which case, I would then refer you back to my original point. No room for animal cruelty in art... even for the sake of an enhanced viewing format like 4k.
Whilst I respect your opinion. I don't agree with you on your views of historical cancel culture. There's no need. We've learnt from it. What's done is done. End of story. By holding onto the past angers only begets more anger for the future. At some point what has been learnt is good enough.
Allowing the erasure of the past, would certainly call for the loss of many countless works of art. Are we supposed to wipe all that learnt history of the face of the earth?
History has been written in blood, pain and human misery. It's also given way to the most beautiful, awe-inspiring gifts of art and culture. Themselves stained with the same brush.

Enlightenment. You got to forgive not hold onto fear and anger.

Anyway. I don't agree but hey, that's life. One day we'll all move forward together.
Otherwise we're f**ked
:LOL:

Last edited:
Whilst I respect your opinion. I don't agree with you on your views of historical cancel culture. There's no need. We've learnt from it. What's done is done. End of story. By holding onto the past angers only begets more anger for the future. At some point what has been learnt is good enough.
Allowing the erasure of the past, would certainly call for the loss of many countless works of art. Are we supposed to wipe all that learnt history of the face of the earth?
History has been written in blood, pain and human misery. It's also given way to the most beautiful, awe-inspiring gifts of art and culture. Themselves stained with the same brush.

Anyway. I don't agree but hey, that's life. One day we'll all move forward together.
Otherwise we're f**ked
You've moved away from discussion on the movie.

Otherwise we're f**ked
It isn't that I disagree with your point on history and erasure, especially regarding learning from it, but not sure it's directly comparable. What we probably haven't visited enough in the discussion is actually in making this art the EXISTING law at the time was broken to facilitate making the scene, the consequence of breaking that law was a request to change the scene which is probably reasonable and should be considered a 'slap on the wrist', it isn't as if the BBFC enforced cancellation of the movie.

If anyone wants me to throw a copy of this in with your GB order give me a shout
Yes Andy, if you please...
And as I believe I've said it before, maybe also the „other” Collector's Editions please (Aliens, True Lies, Titanic [if there's one], the two Avatars, etc.).
Would be very much appreciated!

Reactions: milky
Yes Andy, if you please...
And as I believe I've said it before, maybe also the „other” Collector's Editions please (Aliens, True Lies, Titanic [if there's one], the two Avatars, etc.).
Would be very much appreciated!

Would you be able to pay for these in advance?