Premium Supporter
Nov 4, 2010
Vancouver Canada
4.00 star(s) Rating: 4.00/5 4 Votes
Title: The Creator

Tagline: Humanity evolves.

Genre: Science Fiction, Action, Thriller

Director: Gareth Edwards

Cast: John David Washington, Gemma Chan, Sturgill Simpson, Allison Janney, Marc Menchaca, Ken Watanabe, Amar Chadha-Patel

Release: 2023-09-29

Plot: Described as a post-apocalyptic thriller involving a future impacted by a war between humans and AI.

creator_ver8.jpeg

Just got back from the cinema, I really really enjoyed this. Shame though, I did want to see the Screen X, but the cinema didn't get the extra's so watched the first 5 minutes in silence in 2D, until they rebooted it and started it again. Some AI must have been playing up. Plus I got a £20 refund for it, so a (near) free night out :thumbs:

Also what was also off, before the main event, I saw this short silent technicolor movie lasting 15 minutes, I think it may have been called... Barbie. You can tell it was a bit surreal the whole experience :rofl:

Really want to see it again.

Early reviews are not that good, it does look like a Kubrick's AI and Blompkamp's Elysium mix / rip-off, not that I mind having more big budget movies like that.

It pains me to say it but I didn't like it. I wish I could praise it because it's nice to have an original (albeit derivative) midbudget scifi film with incredible, seamless CG. But the story is muddled, confused, and hollow with a poor, deer in headlights performance from John David Washington. I thought this was going to be a deep, existential emotional journey and it was far from it with very surface level AI plotlines.

Reactions: Lenny Nero
Just got back from seeing it, I don't know what some of you guys are talking about. I thought it was Fantastic!
I thought the actress who plays the little girl was amazing. JDW was also great. This film was visually stunning. We need more films like this. Its insane hearing they made it for only 80 Mil and it looks Better then most 200-300 Mil dollar movies.

I was also disappointed. I don't like to say it.
A film that thinks it's grander than it actually is.

My quick and crap review.

The echoes of Star Wars A New Hope, Blade Runner, Apocalypse Now and Artificial Intelligence are clear, so clear it felt like several traced paper copies on top of each other with few small plot and character changes.
Death Star - Nomad anyone?

That's not to say it's a bad film, it's not, blending incredible special effects and integrating them almost seamlessly into locations so beautiful they take your breath away. The music is stellar, with a wonderful mix of existing music from the likes of Radiohead and Zero 7 encompassed with rousing walls of sound from Hans Zimmer. The production design is a gorgeous mix of retro futurism and cyberpunk steel & neon, exploding metal high rises evoking Blade Runner or Judge Dredd.
I actually loved the anti colonialist themes, it was refreshing ,even if they felt a tiny bit forced at times, but the central themes were justified for the most part. Heck, I'd love to live in an integrated society without such aggressors. West, East, North or South. We should all just get the **** along.

The cinematography and sound design are great, even if the image early on lacked brightness and had an incredibly frustrating lack of detail in the shadows - maybe it was my screen but I struggled to see anything really in the first 30 minutes, it was so dark and the image was a touch too soft throughout for my liking.

The big issues I have were: number 1; the lack of character depth; number 2, main lead motivation was super one dimensional and number 3; the gaping plot holes. It felt like major scenes were missing, removed or not even shot at all.
The distinct lack of character connection between the two leads - I wanted more dialogue. I just didn't feel like I cared for their cause or for them.

I wasn't expecting to be sold emotionally by the movie but I genuinely got upset in some scenes. I can't see children in distress. It breaks me.
This I found a little cheap and undeserved; the character writing wasn't so deep that it had connected with me enough to elicit such a response.

Maybe I'll enjoy it more a second time on home release. Was good but not great.

7 out of 10 for me.

Definitely go see it at the cinema.

Last edited:
For me he did. What it could have been with Kubric ... Oh well ...
Yeah, it definitely became too sappy and sentimental, but to Spielberg's credit he tried to emulate Kubrick's style, and used many of his story ideas, especially in the beginning and partially in the middle.

I actually loved the anti colonialist themes, it was refreshing
I thought the exact opposite. With every single celebrity, every talkshow and every movie talking about the same things nowadays: 'bad western colonialism'. I still really loved the movie, but that specitic aspect felt anything but refreshing to me.

I thought the exact opposite. With every single celebrity, every talkshow and every movie talking about the same things nowadays: 'bad western colonialism'. I still really loved the movie, but that specitic aspect felt anything but refreshing to me.
Living as I do in a colonialist country with a utterly shocking ethical and moral history, I must say, I don't see anything like you suggested on the talkshows or in the movies that I'm privy too here and if it does show up it's never a heavy handed as it is in The Creator.
I'm glad it was upright and centre. I'm sick of aggressive, imperialist governments. Change will only come from enlightenment my friend. I love my country but for my kids sake and their kids sake, my need to evolve as a race.

Political hat now removed :LOL:

Reactions: Space Cadet