The Ebay Seller/Policies Discussion Thread

Apr 26, 2012
UK,south yorkshire
Q) What is the purpose of this thread?
A) To discuss Ebay policies/issues

Q) Where can i find the Ebay Presale Policy?
A) Click HERE

Q) Can a HDN Trade mod help me with an Ebay sale/trade issue? Also why is there no 'ebay bad traders' list?
A) Simply put, no. To find out why, ensure you read the following spoiler:
please use this thread as a RESOURCE to ask your fellow members about problems you've had with a reseller or questions about e-bay.

do NOT use this thread to attack or refute other members. if you an e-bay dispute with a member here, perhaps it's best to approach a trading mod before posting? we don't police e-bay, but maybe we can give you a tip or two.

if members ignore these suggestions, then the thread might be locked for a couple of weeks.

thank you.

hey folks,

as a reminder what myself (and other mods) have continued to mention via private message, e-mail and other areas. we do NOT police other trading marketplaces like ebay, youtube, amazon and the rest.

there is ONLY a certain amount of information at our disposal and we do not have the resources in these other locations as we do on this forum - things that we can look at and evaluate.

having said that, there are trading rules on this forum that have been instituted for your own protection for trading transactions that happen HERE.

this includes the pending / active sales threads, the requirement of feedback posted for any new traders, our support ticketing system, the active investigations held by trading moderators and many other things we do not discuss openly.

we have long held that problems occurring on these other forums and marketplaces should be taken the appropriate authorities on THOSE websites.

many of you are established traders here on this forum and you should know all about the guidelines that are stickied in this section - including having new traders send first, getting tracking from the other party and proof of shipment, and what other precautions can be taken to protect your trading safety.

trading via ebay and their messaging system is against their stated policy and should not occur - and there are reasons why they have created that policy. you don't have protection of paypal or their listing system as a buyer or seller.

having said that, if there is trouble with an ebay seller or buyer, you should go to their website and report it there. if you are not aware of this process, follow the below link for more information.

http://pages.ebay.co.uk/help/buy/report-trading.html

so folks can feel free to chat about a seller or buyer that they are having problems with, but I can tell you right now - there will not be a "witch hunt" by moderators or staff based on one person's account of the problems or trouble they are having - and we limit the action taken for or against members here to transactions that occurred on this forum.

as stated in the thread title of our bad traders list - that list is for FORUM MEMBERS ONLY.

thank you.
Q) Where can i find the HDN Buyer Beware / Bad Traders list?
A) You can find the thread HERE

Last edited by a moderator:
The reason they do that is because of people selling stuff at a huge loss and then charging way too high on shipping. I don't see how they can even allow that.

The reason they do that is because of people selling stuff at a huge loss and then charging way too high on shipping. I don't see how they can even allow that.

I've always wondered how they did that. I do hate the fact that EBay tries to regular the shipping charges, but allowing huge amounts was always a little annoying.

There are limits on how much one can charge for shipping now right? I don't get why they should get a cut of the shipping especially if I charge exact cost, or cost plus materials.

They can do what they want, it's for the user to decide if they want to use Ebay or not.

Put it as collection only, and then put in the description that you will contact the buyer after the listing ends with postage costs, should they wish you to post it to them instead !

i apologize for placing this here, didn't know where else to place it:

---

I need some advice here people..

I have been selling on Play.com for a while, I don't sell much, just sometimes a few steelbooks. I pack each steelbook by myself and pay a lot of attention to packaging the steelbooks correctly. Few people leave feedback, but those who leave feedback, always leave positive feedback. Until now.

Someone claims that he received ''an unsealed'' Iron Man steelbook. He claims that it was damaged and send in a ''simple plain bubble wrap envelope''.

I know for a fact, I am actually 1000% confident, that this is not true. I don't sell a lot of those steelbooks (because of its price). I pack each steelbook with a lot of bubble wrap + tape and then ship it in a bubble wrapped envelope. I check each steelbook at least 2 times for scratches, dents, etc. before I package them. And I am 1000% sure this steelbook was sealed.

Now this guy wants a full refund immediately (around 70 GBP)... He has also left negative feedback, so I have only 75% positive now (I had only 3 feedback before this one).

How do I deal with this? I think this is unfair, he just wants to score a free steelbook and doesn't care that this effects me very negatively, especially with the holiday season coming up.

I have replied and asked him to return the steelbook and I will then issue a full refund.

But what do I do about the negative feedback?
I am afraid to contact Play.com because they might think I am unprofessional for not dealing with this by myself.

I spend like at least 10 minutes checking and packaging each steelbook I sell, and now this happens :(.

Do you have pictures to proove what you say? The IM sealed before you packed it? Also pictures of the box you used?

Those could be usefull if you contact Play.

Reactions: Marina Blue
HELP!!

I sold an item to a buyer in France, 5199digiacomo , back in September. Fast forward to the end of Sept and he claims it was lost in the mail.. Fine. I refund his money and just put a claim in for insurance.

Now the buyer won't help me out by filling out the buyer affidavit. So it got me thinking that he is lying and actually received it.

Over the past few weeks I've been checking to see if said steelbook was up for sale by him, but I can't seem to view any of his listings. I know he is listing and selling items based on feedback, but I can't seem to see what ITEMS he has sold or is selling.

It just comes up with NO items.

Fast forward to today. I was checking again, clicked on his user name and his "My ebay" page came up and showed 5 titles that were for sale, but also showed (60) more. Yet I click on that link, and then up comes the page that has no titles for sale.

I am not sure what is going on. I figured maybe he "blocked" me, but I logged out and get the same thing.

HELP!!

FYI.. the steelbook in question is the Blufans Elite Squad. I do have a picture with the # card too, in case he does happen to have sold one.

i just looked him up. he has some steelbooks and crystals (not meth) for sale. no elite squad though. hope this helps.

What about sold listings?

You need to go to the eBay.fr site.
there you will see all of his listings.

I thought of that before posting on here. No success.

I did boot up an EU proxy, and I was able to view his items currently selling. However, I can't view what he has sold recently. I do know he's sold steelbooks recently.

Thanks for the assistance guys.

I am looking for some advice . I recently sold something on ebay about a week ago. It has now been 7 days I believe since the item was won. I finally opened a unpaid item against the buyer. I had sent a total of 4 emails over the 7 days with nothing heard from the buyer. I feel a little bad but if he did not have the money ready ir whatever he should not have bid. He has not replied to any of my messages I sent.I feel bad having to open the unpaid item but I take it as disrespectful that he has not paid . Said item is over $100. Should I have given him more time?

Thanks in advance for any replies. :thumbs:

HELP!!

I sold an item to a buyer in France, 5199digiacomo , back in September. Fast forward to the end of Sept and he claims it was lost in the mail.. Fine. I refund his money and just put a claim in for insurance.

Now the buyer won't help me out by filling out the buyer affidavit. So it got me thinking that he is lying and actually received it.

I dealt with this guy a couple of months ago. I sent an item unrecorded and he also said he never received it. I also refunded him since he got quite a lot pos. feedback. Now I am pretty sure this guy just abuses the buyer protection. Another one to block IMO. You should always send high value items recorded with tracking.

I dealt with this guy a couple of months ago. I sent an item unrecorded and he also said he never received it. I also refunded him since he got quite a lot pos. feedback. Now I am pretty sure this guy just abuses the buyer protection. Another one to block IMO. You should always send high value items recorded with tracking.

bummer. He's def going on the block list. Thanks for sharing your experience! I don't think the USPS has figured out a cheap way to have the item tracked all the way.

I'm not shipping overseas via ebay anymore unless it's specifically through Ebay's international shipping program.

Unless I actually know the person!

---------- Post added at 11:36 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:35 AM ----------

I am looking for some advice . I recently sold something on ebay about a week ago. It has now been 7 days I believe since the item was won. I finally opened a unpaid item against the buyer. I had sent a total of 4 emails over the 7 days with nothing heard from the buyer. I feel a little bad but if he did not have the money ready ir whatever he should not have bid. He has not replied to any of my messages I sent.I feel bad having to open the unpaid item but I take it as disrespectful that he has not paid . Said item is over $100. Should I have given him more time?

Thanks in advance for any replies. :thumbs:

I have my account set to automatically open a Did not pay case after 4 days of auction end. A week is generous.

Last edited:
Reactions: Xavier