The Ebay Seller/Policies Discussion Thread

Apr 26, 2012
UK,south yorkshire
Q) What is the purpose of this thread?
A) To discuss Ebay policies/issues

Q) Where can i find the Ebay Presale Policy?
A) Click HERE

Q) Can a HDN Trade mod help me with an Ebay sale/trade issue? Also why is there no 'ebay bad traders' list?
A) Simply put, no. To find out why, ensure you read the following spoiler:
please use this thread as a RESOURCE to ask your fellow members about problems you've had with a reseller or questions about e-bay.

do NOT use this thread to attack or refute other members. if you an e-bay dispute with a member here, perhaps it's best to approach a trading mod before posting? we don't police e-bay, but maybe we can give you a tip or two.

if members ignore these suggestions, then the thread might be locked for a couple of weeks.

thank you.

hey folks,

as a reminder what myself (and other mods) have continued to mention via private message, e-mail and other areas. we do NOT police other trading marketplaces like ebay, youtube, amazon and the rest.

there is ONLY a certain amount of information at our disposal and we do not have the resources in these other locations as we do on this forum - things that we can look at and evaluate.

having said that, there are trading rules on this forum that have been instituted for your own protection for trading transactions that happen HERE.

this includes the pending / active sales threads, the requirement of feedback posted for any new traders, our support ticketing system, the active investigations held by trading moderators and many other things we do not discuss openly.

we have long held that problems occurring on these other forums and marketplaces should be taken the appropriate authorities on THOSE websites.

many of you are established traders here on this forum and you should know all about the guidelines that are stickied in this section - including having new traders send first, getting tracking from the other party and proof of shipment, and what other precautions can be taken to protect your trading safety.

trading via ebay and their messaging system is against their stated policy and should not occur - and there are reasons why they have created that policy. you don't have protection of paypal or their listing system as a buyer or seller.

having said that, if there is trouble with an ebay seller or buyer, you should go to their website and report it there. if you are not aware of this process, follow the below link for more information.

http://pages.ebay.co.uk/help/buy/report-trading.html

so folks can feel free to chat about a seller or buyer that they are having problems with, but I can tell you right now - there will not be a "witch hunt" by moderators or staff based on one person's account of the problems or trouble they are having - and we limit the action taken for or against members here to transactions that occurred on this forum.

as stated in the thread title of our bad traders list - that list is for FORUM MEMBERS ONLY.

thank you.
Q) Where can i find the HDN Buyer Beware / Bad Traders list?
A) You can find the thread HERE

Last edited by a moderator:
The way ebay works it is helping scammers. Ebay needs to adopt the amazon way and not work with anyone. Its up to the buyer and seller to work it out on amazon.

Reactions: unam9
I am on guard with eBay and that's from a buyers perspective. To cut a long story short, when it came out, I pre ordered Thor 2 Future shop. The seller sent it to me with a big scratch across the front. Initially, he ignored me, but then said he would send me a replacement. (I emailed him a photo of the damage too)

I told the seller that I would send it back and I would pay £5 on top for the £7 postage back to Canada, so it could be tracked.

After a few days, he told me to wrap the box back up and write on the box "return to sender" this seemed way too risky, with only his word he received it back (I did not trust this guy now, anyway)

To test the water, I asked him to refund me and I would do that, as he would then need to trust me. He declined. Then ignored me for 3 more days. I sent it back, costing me £12. At this point, I had opened up an eBay case.

As it was tracked, I could see he received it back 5 days later, but no refund. I called PayPal, who hade said he had claimed there was no damage (they had the pics to see on the open case / this guy was trying it on)

I got a refund, but lost my £12 postage. PayPal said to leave negative feedback, but not to be rude, or post anything personal. I wrote "damaged item sent, poor communication, never again"

Anyhow, 5 days later I received an email from eBay, threatening my account status, removing ALL negative and neutral feedback for the last 12 months and all non 5 star ratings. they also said some bull crap about I had opened too many cases - which was bull crap- I had not!

The SELLER reported ME for leaving bad feedback!

So this Mo fo sells a dud, gets it posted back for free, gets his negative feedback removed and then sells the steel again! Needless to say, I called EBay and they could not explain why they had sent me the email and had no answer for me. They would not escalate my complaint and basically said they do not need to justify themselves.

Sorry for the life story, but just wanted to get my own story out there. eBay are a law to themselves. I have 1080 feedback from 2005 and it don't mean jack!

Every cloud has a silver lining.. I managed to get a mint copy through a HDN group buy. You live and you learn.

Sticking with HDN, from now on!

Last edited:
I use eBay as a last resort. It's too easy for either the buyer or seller to get scammed, and if the shipper(s) damage a properly packaged steelbook, everyone gets it.

Reactions: cooey
GOt a guy from France who is trying to scam me. Has anyone ever delt with manuetmagda59 ?

He got his steelbook 3 weeks ago and now opened a case on paypal. I feel he is using the system to scam me. He has never once tried to get ahold of me. He said in his claim it is damaged. What can I do? Its obvious he knows the 2 week rule on returns on ebay and went directly to paypal.

In the meantime I asked him for photos so I can see if it matches up.

Can anyone give me advice on what to do with the guy from France who opened a claim on paypal and has never once tried to contact me on ebay? He has had the item since April 20th and is just now filing a claim. I feel he is scamming me.

Reactions: Marina Blue
Can anyone give me advice on what to do with the guy from France who opened a claim on paypal and has never once tried to contact me on ebay? He has had the item since April 20th and is just now filing a claim. I feel he is scamming me.

Chip,

It's frustrating when these F****krs use the system to scam honest sellers[emoji35].

I would first work with him on resolution centre asking him probing questions as to "why you contacting me after X amount of days" "Can you please upload pics for proof" etc. If he is willing to show you proof of the damage then you will have to make the decision if it is genuine. I would also check his previous feedback to see what he's like.

Good luck mate[emoji106]

Reactions: blu-steel

Hmmm... So you have a cowardly con man to deal with! Like you have already suggested, you need photos from this dude, as the proof is in the pudding!

And an explanation as to why it has taken so long to file a claim, without speaking to you.

You should try and locate a free phone PayPal contact number and speak to an advisor there. Let them know your feelings and I hope there is someone there that actually gives a ****!

I am sure you can even report a buyer on eBay, so what the heck, do that too. eBay and PayPal are the same company. So you would think all that would leave a foot print.

In the short term, crack open a beer and try not to let this guy get you down.

:thumbs:

Last edited:
Reactions: blu-steel
Hmmm... So you have a cowardly con man to deal with! Like you have already suggested, you need photos from this dude, as the proof is in the pudding!

And an explanation as to why it has taken so long to file a claim, without speaking to you.

You should try and locate a free phone PayPal contact number and speak to an advisor there. Let them know your feelings and I hope there is someone there that actually gives a ****!

I am sure you can even report a buyer on eBay, so what the heck, do that too. eBay and PayPal are the same company. So you would think all that would leave a foot print.

In the short term, crack open a beer and try not to let this guy get you down.

:thumbs:

So is there a way in ebay where if a buyer has one or more negative feedback then he can't bid on your item...just as a pre-caution, I've been hearing a lot of bad buyers doing false claims and it makes selling and buying
in ebay (more) scary than a fe years ago!EEK!

So is there a way in ebay where if a buyer has one or more negative feedback then he can't bid on your item...just as a pre-caution, I've been hearing a lot of bad buyers doing false claims and it makes selling and buying

Nope the best you can do is add some ground rules in your description such as stating that new members or the like should contact you before bidding/buying your item so you can screen them and try to make sure they're legit. Just accept purchases at your own discretion.

Although honestly I've dealt with plenty of people with some negative feedback with no hassle. Its relative to their total feedback score - buyers who have hundreds or thousands of purchases/sales will probably run into some screw ups now and again so try not to be too harsh in your judgement. In my experience its the 'new' members you hafta watch out for more often than not as they're often scammers that have had older accounts rumbled and unfortunately ebay just seems to let them keep worming their way back in with no resistance.

Attention for every ebay seller: Feel free to put the member silverstarvids from US on your ban list! This guy bought a valuable Blu-Ray Mediabook from me which I shipped on 7th April. On 25th April, he opened an ebay case without ever having contacted me. He told ebay that the item wouldn't match description, because the package arrived empty. I immediately responded that it cannot be, then he wrote that there was just an empty black Keepcase in the package (with no damages to it). I never heard such a bad story. He even uploaded a picture with the package and just a black case next to it. I told several times that I don't believe him and if he tells truth, he has to check back with his post office and customs. Of course, some days later he told me he called them and they haven't found any suspicious on the package. I made my calls and got a letter from German PO, telling me that he has to make a reclamation with USPS (I shipped with registered airmail). Days passed and no reply came back. Then, that guy escalated the case to ebay on 5h May without any reason. Now, I really felt scammed by that pig and had given up all hope already (because ebay almost always sides with the buyer and doesn't protect the seller)...But on 13th May, I got the good news that ebay decided this case in my favour and the buyer didn't receive his money back for his fiction. I'm just happy about that. Obviously, there must have been going on something faulty with him before already or the ebay customer service checked our discussion in the resolution center. He immediately got on my ban list - I advise everybody to do the same if you don't want to get in the same situation I got in...

Last edited:

Yes you can set it as a rule in your listing.

Here's how: go to edit your listing and once on that page, scroll down till you see at the bottom "add other details" and below that section "buyer requirements", it should look like the screenshot below. Then click on "change buyer requirements" and do the needful then save your listing as you normally would. :thumbs:

Screen Shot 2014-05-15 at 13.19.03.png

Last edited by a moderator: