The Ebay Seller/Policies Discussion Thread

Apr 26, 2012
UK,south yorkshire
Q) What is the purpose of this thread?
A) To discuss Ebay policies/issues

Q) Where can i find the Ebay Presale Policy?
A) Click HERE

Q) Can a HDN Trade mod help me with an Ebay sale/trade issue? Also why is there no 'ebay bad traders' list?
A) Simply put, no. To find out why, ensure you read the following spoiler:
please use this thread as a RESOURCE to ask your fellow members about problems you've had with a reseller or questions about e-bay.

do NOT use this thread to attack or refute other members. if you an e-bay dispute with a member here, perhaps it's best to approach a trading mod before posting? we don't police e-bay, but maybe we can give you a tip or two.

if members ignore these suggestions, then the thread might be locked for a couple of weeks.

thank you.

hey folks,

as a reminder what myself (and other mods) have continued to mention via private message, e-mail and other areas. we do NOT police other trading marketplaces like ebay, youtube, amazon and the rest.

there is ONLY a certain amount of information at our disposal and we do not have the resources in these other locations as we do on this forum - things that we can look at and evaluate.

having said that, there are trading rules on this forum that have been instituted for your own protection for trading transactions that happen HERE.

this includes the pending / active sales threads, the requirement of feedback posted for any new traders, our support ticketing system, the active investigations held by trading moderators and many other things we do not discuss openly.

we have long held that problems occurring on these other forums and marketplaces should be taken the appropriate authorities on THOSE websites.

many of you are established traders here on this forum and you should know all about the guidelines that are stickied in this section - including having new traders send first, getting tracking from the other party and proof of shipment, and what other precautions can be taken to protect your trading safety.

trading via ebay and their messaging system is against their stated policy and should not occur - and there are reasons why they have created that policy. you don't have protection of paypal or their listing system as a buyer or seller.

having said that, if there is trouble with an ebay seller or buyer, you should go to their website and report it there. if you are not aware of this process, follow the below link for more information.

http://pages.ebay.co.uk/help/buy/report-trading.html

so folks can feel free to chat about a seller or buyer that they are having problems with, but I can tell you right now - there will not be a "witch hunt" by moderators or staff based on one person's account of the problems or trouble they are having - and we limit the action taken for or against members here to transactions that occurred on this forum.

as stated in the thread title of our bad traders list - that list is for FORUM MEMBERS ONLY.

thank you.
Q) Where can i find the HDN Buyer Beware / Bad Traders list?
A) You can find the thread HERE

Last edited by a moderator:
is that a scratch or the plastic wrap?

no. 100% scratch ;)

EDIT :
Spoke to seller. He excused himself and promised that he never saw the scratch. Offers me a total refund if i send it back. But i wont. Wont be report at paypal. I thing the damage is soo low its no problem.
In the end i am happy that i got this steel

Last edited:
Here's one to add to the blocked bidders list: 3-dranch

I sold a can of spray paint that I bought for glossing steelbooks. Turns out it was the wrong kind, but Amazon wouldn't let me return it. I hadn't used it so I listed it on eBay. Here's the first message I got:

3-dranch said:
Hi ! You falsely advertised the clear enamel spray paint ! You said it was semi gloss and it is a high gloss ! I did not want high gloss ! I had to have semi gloss for my project ! I build high end electric guitars and if it calls for semi gloss or satin finish then its got to be that . I do not make any of my guitars with a high gloss finish . What are you going to do about this mess up ? Thank you .

lolwut said:
Sorry about that, my mistake. Please begin the process for sending it back for a full refund. Or I can offer you a partial refund of ___. Sorry again.

3-dranch said:
Man! You are costing me time and money ! you should give me a full refund without me having to go through the trouble and money to send that mistake of yours back to you ! I don't have the time to do that ! My customer is waiting on this guitar ! I will have to make a trip into _____ to get me a can of semi gloss clear enamel I think I will leave you a negative feedback to let other E-Bayers know how dysfunctional you are !

• Informative
Reactions: adrenaline78
Not sure if this right place to post this.
I nearly actually cried today after i opened a package that i got from a ebay purchase :tear: :tear:

I bought an Iron Man FutureShop exclusive, a steel that i've always wanted to own. It was minty sealed with all stickers, absolute perfect.

Received it today only to find:
1) it was opened, not shrink w*****
2) no shrinkwrap meaning no stickers
3) few marks/scratches on case and j-card.
4) One corner of J-card was bent

Everyday i checked the tracking number to see where the steel is, i was that excited only to receive it like this.

In the listing, he clearly stated sealed, Mint with stickers. :tear: :tear:

I've opened a case against him, not sure if that will do any good in case he argue that i opened it
YES! Open a case and have a solid argument. I hate frauds like these.
Provide pictures of the item and everything.

What is the name of the seller so I can add him to my ignore list.

Here's one to add to the blocked bidders list: 3-dranch

I sold a can of spray paint that I bought for glossing steelbooks. Turns out it was the wrong kind, but Amazon wouldn't let me return it. I hadn't used it so I listed it on eBay. Here's the first message I got:

So it got much crazier:

lolwut said:
Threatening to leave negative feedback if I don't agree to your demands is feedback extortion. On top of that you've been rude from the start, even after I apologized twice. If you want a partial refund of the shipping cost ($4.99) and to keep the item, you have to start the refund process on the item listing.

3-dranch said:
I see now that I am dealing with a stonch liberal from Maryland ! I used to live in Maryland and that is why I moved back to Oklahoma which is 86% Conservative ! you have made up my mind to give you a negative feedback !

lolwut said:
I'm not from Maryland...

3-dranch said:
I paid you before you shipped the wrong item so you pay me before I ship it back !

lolwut said:
That's not how returns work.

3-dranch said:
Well I tried to let you off cheap but now it is going to cost you ! I am sending it back ! I hope you leaned a lesson from this ? Not everyone out there is stupid ! So why try ? It is not worth the risk !

lolwut said:
You've assumed from the beginning malicious intent where there was none. It was an honest mistake, I apologized multiple times and offered a full refund like any business would have. You rejected my apologies and continue to insult and threaten because you wanted a refund in addition to keeping the item. I never called you stupid or treated you rudely in return. This is the exact same solution that I offered from the beginning. As soon as I saw that I accidentally put High Gloss in the title I was willing to give you a full refund. I really don't see why you have to be so malicious.

3-dranch said:
You admitted right off that you messed up ! And you put semi gloss in the add not high gloss . semi gloss is what I wanted . You did not even question my claim that is was high gloss not semi gloss ? So you knew from the start ! That is why I believe you were trying to make trouble . And trying to get by with selling the wrong item hoping that I would not do any thing . I have dealt with people like that a lot on E-bay . So I don't trust nobody when buying on E-bay . A lot of people will not do anything and just right it off . But I will not ! I believe in righting a wrong !

lolwut said:
I don't know how you came to that conclusion. When you said that it was high gloss, I checked the photo and saw that it was indeed high gloss. I had copied and pasted the title from the Amazon page that I ordered it from. What would I have gained by lying about that in the listing? Again you're assuming that I'm out to get you, as if I didn't immediately admit my mistake, apologize, and offer a full refund. You yourself admit you distrust eBay sellers, which would explain why you think I'm trying to somehow trick you when I'm obviously not.

3-dranch said:
You said in you last letter that in your add you stated is was high gloss and did not state it was high gloss you said it was semi gloss . Get your facts straight . You just don't know when to stop do you ! You are just so upset that it is going to cost you money now and that you are going to get that damn can of paint back which you don't really want and you have to list it again , which will cost you more money ! I do not want to hear from you again about this ! Suck it up !

lolwut said:
As soon as I saw that I accidentally put SEMI Gloss in the title I was willing to give you a full refund. When you said that it was high gloss, I checked the photo and saw that it was indeed high gloss. I had copied and pasted the title from the Amazon page that I ordered it from.

I've been rational and reasonable this whole time. You're the one who's been upset (and incredibly rude and hostile) since the first message. You're hoping that I'm upset, for some evil reason. As I've explained a number of times, I offered you a full refund immediately with the knowledge that I would have to pay for return shipping. That's just how returns work when the seller is at fault. Telling me to suck it up implies that I didn't intend to from the very beginning, but you turned it down.

3-dranch said:
Wow ! You just don't get it ! I tried to save everybody time and money from the start but your little bitty liberal mind cant see the big picture ! If you would of took my offer to give me $5 I would be compensated for your screw up .and that is all the more it would have cost you , but now it will cost you $15 and the cost of reselling the item ,and no telling how much it is costing E-bay to get involved ? And the labor the USPS is putting into this ,when all you had to do is give $5 for my trouble .But no your mind set is that I was trying to screw you when you caused this mess yourself .You just can not see the big picture !It is because you think like a liberal and you guys are destroying our wonderful country !If I here from you again I will leave a feed back that will make you mouth drop !

Does anyone here get a lot of messages on their items such as "Hey, I want to get this, but the price is a little too steep for me, can you mark it down to $xx.xx for me?" or this recent gem "I am also trying to buy _____ and _____ from different sellers but want to buy your item as well. Since I am spending so much, can you cut me a deal on the shipping? Maybe without the tracking charge?"

If you guys get this, how do you respond without sounding like a jerk?

If that happens and I don't want to go any lower then I just tell them: 'Unfortunately I can't go any lower than the price it's listed at....' I don't usually give a reason. If I've dealt with the person before then I might cut a deal but otherwise list price is list price.

I never do deals with non-tracked shipping though. Some people on eBay (as evidenced on this thread) are pure scam artists and will look for a deal with no tracking just so they can say the item never turned up and have eBay rule in their favour when they open a case. Just tell them tracked shipping is a way of covering both of you if the item goes missing as any mail service will always ask for proof of posting/tracking for lost items. Plus with tracking, most of the time, you know if it's been delivered. I say most of the time because sometimes it doesn't register online. I always send via tracked postage. Here's a good example of why. This happened to me in June:

I never update tracking info anymore for any of my sold items as Royal Mail don't always update the online system so it sometimes shows as being processed and not delivered even though it has been. In my experience it's rare but can happen. I sent something to Germany and didn't update the tracking on eBay. 20 days passed and I didn't hear anything back from the buyer, then I get a message saying he hasn't received it so it must be lost in the post and he would like a refund. I dig out the tracking and it shows it was delivered 2 weeks ago. I tell him this and he can check it himself. I then get a message back saying 'oh yes, it arrived yesterday'. Sounds so dodgy!

• Helpful Post
Reactions: dv8mad and Lutzo
You can lose an ebay or amazon marketplace case by using tracking too. Just because the item was "delivered" , it doesn't mean that it made it to the correct buyer. (could be a PO screw up, could be handed to wrong person, or just dumped and someone stole it).. The only way to be 100%, (and i've learned the hard way) is to make sure you're using SIGNATURE tracking. If they have to sign for it, it's sufficient proof that they've received it.

Help please ninjas

I sold a Steelbook to a buyer in Belgium a month ago. Sent it Royal Mail tracked & signed.

2 weeks ago I received this message from buyer:

Hello,

I see that after 1 delivery attempt they returned the package... did you recieve anything?

kind regards

I emailed back that I haven't received the Steelbook and he should contact his post depot. Never got a reply back.

Today the Steelbook was posted back to me in the UK and online tracking shows it was delivered to me.

What's the best way forward with the buyer ??

Any advice or help appreciated [emoji106]

Tough one this. Sounds like a international postage nightmare gbdragon.

Dose the buyer still want it ?. If thay do see what you can work out re posting out to them.

Or re list and them re buy ?.

I hope someone can help you more with better advise than me. Hoping you work it out :sorry:.

Reactions: gbdragon
csikilaz

Block them. He opened a chargeback on paypal. I showed proof of shipment and the screenshot of the purchase. Do these people really think they can beat the system like this? He is now banned on ebay right now, but for how long I don't know. I believe he has another alias as well and is a member on this forum. He is from FL and Laszlo Csiki is name.

Hi guys.
Today as usual I log in into my ebay account and I notice straight away someone change my address( now I live in Indonesia ) and is not funny at all . I change back my address and password but i wish to know how this happened and if you guys have same problem before.

Reactions: Marina Blue
Hi guys.
Today as usual I log in into my ebay account and I notice straight away someone change my address( now I live in Indonesia ) and is not funny at all . I change back my address and password but i wish to know how this happened and if you guys have same problem before.

Damn! That is some serious security breach buddy. I hope you got onto PayPal ASAP to report it. I've never experienced or heard of anything like this.

Damn! That is some serious security breach buddy. I hope you got onto PayPal ASAP to report it. I've never experienced or heard of anything like this.

here is another situation. I go straight into my paypal account and they ask me to change password and some details before I log in . Also sent proof of identity . on ready i do everything ( i try give them a call but they closed now) . its weird all this happen in same day :/