The Ebay Seller/Policies Discussion Thread

Apr 26, 2012
UK,south yorkshire
Q) What is the purpose of this thread?
A) To discuss Ebay policies/issues

Q) Where can i find the Ebay Presale Policy?
A) Click HERE

Q) Can a HDN Trade mod help me with an Ebay sale/trade issue? Also why is there no 'ebay bad traders' list?
A) Simply put, no. To find out why, ensure you read the following spoiler:
please use this thread as a RESOURCE to ask your fellow members about problems you've had with a reseller or questions about e-bay.

do NOT use this thread to attack or refute other members. if you an e-bay dispute with a member here, perhaps it's best to approach a trading mod before posting? we don't police e-bay, but maybe we can give you a tip or two.

if members ignore these suggestions, then the thread might be locked for a couple of weeks.

thank you.

hey folks,

as a reminder what myself (and other mods) have continued to mention via private message, e-mail and other areas. we do NOT police other trading marketplaces like ebay, youtube, amazon and the rest.

there is ONLY a certain amount of information at our disposal and we do not have the resources in these other locations as we do on this forum - things that we can look at and evaluate.

having said that, there are trading rules on this forum that have been instituted for your own protection for trading transactions that happen HERE.

this includes the pending / active sales threads, the requirement of feedback posted for any new traders, our support ticketing system, the active investigations held by trading moderators and many other things we do not discuss openly.

we have long held that problems occurring on these other forums and marketplaces should be taken the appropriate authorities on THOSE websites.

many of you are established traders here on this forum and you should know all about the guidelines that are stickied in this section - including having new traders send first, getting tracking from the other party and proof of shipment, and what other precautions can be taken to protect your trading safety.

trading via ebay and their messaging system is against their stated policy and should not occur - and there are reasons why they have created that policy. you don't have protection of paypal or their listing system as a buyer or seller.

having said that, if there is trouble with an ebay seller or buyer, you should go to their website and report it there. if you are not aware of this process, follow the below link for more information.

http://pages.ebay.co.uk/help/buy/report-trading.html

so folks can feel free to chat about a seller or buyer that they are having problems with, but I can tell you right now - there will not be a "witch hunt" by moderators or staff based on one person's account of the problems or trouble they are having - and we limit the action taken for or against members here to transactions that occurred on this forum.

as stated in the thread title of our bad traders list - that list is for FORUM MEMBERS ONLY.

thank you.
Q) Where can i find the HDN Buyer Beware / Bad Traders list?
A) You can find the thread HERE

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmm, I didn't know it was allowed to do that (state that postage is not 4.50 and to wait for an invoice).

I just added a note to his order which will make it clear to him/her :p.

Could you maybe post the ebay user id (if that is allowed??). I have had some cases with buyers claiming for unreceived items. I usually block these buyers just in case. If you've sent it unrecorded that is a risk, that's why I would only post items below EUR 10 unrecorded, so your loss would be limited to EUR 16.
Like gbdragon said, post clearly in your description that your not sending the items from the UK so postage is not GBP 4.5 and ask them to wait for your invoice.
Regarding that buyer who re-ordered the smae item.... I'd personally end the auction early (if possible) or else contact him whether he is willing to pay for the recorded shipping. If not then cancel the transaction.

You need to offer international postage on the listing-usually signed for to Europe is about £10-11. This protects you up to £50 but if need be ask the post office to add additional insurance-it's usually £2 more up to £100+ but does protect you from loss & you can track the item. As to blocking bidders you can block their ebay name on the help tab (just type in block bidder) & it will give you a box to add their name to-did this last week as a guy who bought a cd from me complained it had a tiny scratch then asked for a partial refund (meaning he felt he overspent on it & wanted some money back)-he is now blocked...

Need some advice around an item lost on ebay and claiming compensation from Royal Mail.

I recently sold an item on ebay 1st class recorded. The tracking constantly shows "item received and being processed through our delivery network". After a month the buyer was refunded due to not receiving the package and i decided to file a claim with Royal Mail.

One of the documents you have to provide with the compensation form is a receipt showing the actual cost of the item. If thats the case i sold my item on ebay for £80 however i originaly purchased it cheaper via a GB years ago.

How do i go about getting the full £80 from Royal Mail ??

Need some advice around an item lost on ebay and claiming compensation from Royal Mail.

I recently sold an item on ebay 1st class recorded. The tracking constantly shows "item received and being processed through our delivery network". After a month the buyer was refunded due to not receiving the package and i decided to file a claim with Royal Mail.

One of the documents you have to provide with the compensation form is a receipt showing the actual cost of the item. If thats the case i sold my item on ebay for £80 however i originaly purchased it cheaper via a GB years ago.

For signed for items the maximum compensation pay out is £50 see here...
http://www.royalmail.com/personal/help-and-support/available-compensation-for-lost-items

Not sure whether it would work but I would just make a printscreen of the auction stating the ended auction price, plus print the order details page on eBay where the name and address is stated of the buyer. Believe this is the best option to prove the value of that item..... Good luck.

I'm aware of that you can only claim up to £50 but was wondering on how to supply them a receipt if item was traded or purchased via GB?
So if you are aware you can only claim £50 in compensation why would you put this?....

How do i go about getting the full £80 from Royal Mail ??[/QUOTE]

So if you are aware you can only claim £50 in compensation why would you put this?....

[/QUOTE]

May be I'm not being clear. When you post packages via recorded I'm aware the amount covered is £50.

In my case I sold my item for £80. I'm putting it out there for advice if any members been in a similar situation and was able to get the full amount back from Royal Mail with a receipt or something ?

Not sure whether it would work but I would just make a printscreen of the auction stating the ended auction price, plus print the order details page on eBay where the name and address is stated of the buyer. Believe this is the best option to prove the value of that item..... Good luck.

These information you mentioned you have to supply mandatory to support your claim. What I can't provide is the receipt of the item as they are saying they need this with the claim form.

These information you mentioned you have to supply mandatory to support your claim. What I can't provide is the receipt of the item as they are saying they need this with the claim form.

You don't necessarily need the receipt. I wrote a covering letter with my form so they knew the situation and that I had purchased it long ago and no longer had the receipt. My claim was was £50 plus recorded postage. I got back £53.65 (as £3.65 was the cost of 2nd class recorded at the time).

• Helpful Post
Reactions: IRON MAN
You don't necessarily need the receipt. I wrote a covering letter with my form so they knew the situation and that I had purchased it long ago and no longer had the receipt. My claim was was £50 plus recorded postage. I got back £53.65 (as £3.65 was the cost of 2nd class recorded at the time).

Thanks mate il give it a go. Personally I think they are going to mug me off as the items over £50 and no receipt to prove[emoji106]

Or like me when I sold a Xbox 360 game on a different forum for £35 which got lost (sent 1st class recorded), gave them proof of where I bought it from and how much, etc... I got 1 book of 12 1st class stamps as compensation!!

Reactions: gbdragon
Alert !
Bad Buyer ! Maybe some ninjas know him from ebay.

sunshine-live-4-ever
- sold some rare steelbook titles in the last month! But as i know by a friend of mine he high bidding his own titles!

Bought a steel from me. Total costs was above 110€ ! Now 2 weeks later , i received no payment. He promised to transfer the money 3 times!! Nothing!!
After giving him a little warning he wrote total bullshit in his mails!

I set him on my blacklist - i advise you the same!

Too bad i need that money :(

Sorry to hear that mate.

I have a policy, which is if the buyer doesn't have the decency to email within 3 days why they haven't checked out, I open a non payment case. That way you get your fees refunded by eBay/paypal when the case closes and the buyer gets a strike against their account. Then they go on my block list.

Reactions: Lutzo and mlmaier84