The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey (Ext. Ed.) (3D Blu-ray SteelBook) (FS Exc) [Canada]

Drum18

Super Moderator
Premium Supporter
May 3, 2011
Montreal
Release date: November 5, 2013
Price: {param} 29.99$
Purchase link: The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey - Extended Edition
Notes: G2 Standard Steelbook - 4 discs (2x 3D BD + 2x BD for special features)

m2207417.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Just received the Future Shop edition and on the back of the J-card it says "This pack also includes the 2D version, playable on your standard Blu-ray player." :LOL:

It's a slim G2 SteelBook :D

I can now cancel the UK Jumbo version.

Can't take pics, I'm working.

That gives me hope that the Best Buy version will have the same thing.

Can't wait for you to open this and see what it really has inside :D

3D is on 2 discs, Appendices are on 2 discs. How can they add 2D disc? Must be Gandalf's magic :hilarious:

But the US standard edition (same as the UK is gonna be) is 5 discs, with the 3D and 2D being on separate discs. I would be very surprised if they have made the 3D and 2D onto the same disc as that would've meant pressing new discs just for this release?

Reactions: wjasoncul
2D version is on the 3D discs.

So it'll ask you which one you want to watch?

Not disbelieving, but I've seen an unboxing of the normal 3D release and it has 5 discs - 2 for 3D, 1 for 2D and 2 for special features. Just seems weird they would pack some sets with a 2D disc if you can play it from the 3D version...

It's two BD 3D discs for the movie (Includes in 2D version) and two BD 2D for the Appendices.
= Four (4) discs inside the case. I opened it so that's why I know.
A slim G2 SteelBook can't hold 5 discs.

Nobody's arguing that it doesn't really have 4 discs. We are just wondering if the 3D discs will really play on a system that's not setup for 3D. That's based on the normal 3D release that includes a 2D disc. Why would they include a 2D disc to make it 5 discs total, if you can play 2D from the 3D discs? That's all I was asking :D

Reactions: cooey
image_zps8de4f62e.jpg

Here is the back of the US Best Buy version. It mentions it includes 2D extended version of the film but that is under the Ultraviolet Offer

Main Feature: Presented in 3D

Last edited by a moderator:
So it'll ask you which one you want to watch?

Not disbelieving, but I've seen an unboxing of the normal 3D release and it has 5 discs - 2 for 3D, 1 for 2D and 2 for special features. Just seems weird they would pack some sets with a 2D disc if you can play it from the 3D version...

Many 3D discs will give you the option to play in either 2D or 3D, similar to the option to play theatrical version or unrated / directors cut

Many 3D discs will give you the option to play in either 2D or 3D, similar to the option to play theatrical version or unrated / directors cut

I hope you guys are right about that for other people's sake. I'm getting the SteelBook from BBY and the standard 2D version from Amazon (10% off offer and I like the way the slipbox looks) so I'm set. It just seemed like there was some clarification that needed to be done. I can only imagine the posts we're going to see if the 3D version doesn't really play in 2D.

Ok, I've just tested all four discs. Discs 1 and 2 are 3D only. Discs 3 and 4 are 2D for the special features only. So NO 2D VERSION INCLUDED.

So forget what I've previously said. :emb:

Although the J-card clearly mentions " This pack also includes the 2D version, playable on your standard Blu-ray player." :angry:

Some 3D Blu-ray discs do play 2D for some movies, but not this one.

Ok, I've just tested all four discs. Discs 1 and 2 are 3D only. Discs 3 and 4 are 2D for the special features only. So NO 2D VERSION INCLUDED.

So forget what I've previously said. :emb:

Although the J-card clearly mentions " This pack also includes the 2D version, playable on your standard Blu-ray player." :angry:

Some 3D Blu-ray discs do play 2D for some movies, but not this one.
:(
Gotta say I'm not surprised... I'll try in my PS3 (soon PS4)... and I'll hope for the best... :ohno: