The Lord of the Rings Trilogy (4K Blu-ray SteelBooks) (Best Buy Exclusive) [USA]

Oct 18, 2018
Release date: December 1, 2020
Purchase link: Best Buy
Price: $119.99
Note: Includes Theatrical and Extended cuts
Group buy: hosted by apsmith21

350F345E-5107-480E-B3BB-658B65338DEB.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Wait, so the release in Q4 next year is 1080p Blu or 4K? And if 4K, how is that different to the one we’re getting this December? So confusing :rofl:
Pretty sure same 4k discs from this year, will be in that next year. He wont be remastering that twice.

But yeah def a lot of confusing jargon ... almost makes you wonder if the plans were 2021 (ie got postponed due to manufacturing cuz of covid) then 2020 became possible and they forgot to edit some press release stuff. ha.

I think some bullet points breaking the two down would have been better then lumping all in a paragraph.

Reactions: therealrobbo
Got charged for both this and the Hobbit set very early this morning, as usual the Thursday before a Tuesday release from BestBuy, though I’m not sure they’ll ship out today seeing as it’s a holiday.

I just realized that I have both on one order, they’re going to ship bouncing off each other in the same box with just a single useless air pouch thrown in, aren’t they... :facepalm:

• Haha
Reactions: djjez83
I cancelled both of my orders for the UK editions

I decided I will get the 4K middle earth box set that is been released next year instead as that will have previous and new disc extras.

These 4K steelbooks editions not having the extras I was not going to spend money buying all 6 films twice on 4K

I decided I will get the 4K middle earth box set that is been released next year instead as that will have previous and new disc extras.
The OneRingNet reported that WB said there will be one new piece of extra content and that not all the previous Appendices will be included.

Perhaps the new extra will be on the 4K remastering process.

Costa Botes has said there would be no point remastering his documentaries as they were only shot in SD.

Last edited:
The OneRingNet reported that WB said there will be one new piece of extra content and that not all the previous Appendices will be included.

Perhaps the new extra will be on the 4K remastering process.

Costa Botes has said there would be no point remastering his documentaries as they were only shot in SD.
The middle earth 4K box set been released in summer 2021 will have both cuts of the films on both 4K UHD and Blu-ray
The Lord of the Rings Blu-ray discs will be using the new 4K scan remaster
The Hobbit will be using previous Blu-ray discs.

You can expect the middle earth 4K ultimate box set release very likey will include booklets and other items

A single new extra can be a few min or a few hours Hint

Those that just want Lord of the rings 4K scan remaster on Blu-ray on its own that will be released in fall of 2021 to celebrate 20th Anniversary
There will also be a 4K UHD release to celebrate the 20th Anniversary in fall 2021

The 20th Anniversary editions of Lord of the Rings been released in fall of 2021 will have new extras