The Lord of the Rings Trilogy (4K Blu-ray SteelBooks) [UK]

paulboland

Contributor Steels/Arrow
Contributor
Premium Supporter
Sep 10, 2012
Navan/Ireland
Release date: November 30, 2020 - January 23, 2023 (Re print)
Purchase links: WB Shop - Zavvi - Amazon UK - HMV
Price: £99.99
Finish: Matte w/ no 'bossing (steelbook & case)
Notes: WB Shop includes Artcards - UHD Discs only does not include Blu-ray discs

81Q8mRHYcAL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Last edited:
These types of sets aren't being packaged any better anywhere else in the world and never will be.
Shipped in a box is the best you're going to get. Same with Best Buy U.S.

People should know this by now. Best Buy, Zavvi, Amazon and other companies that sell thousands of various products
will always ship this way.

I know there are still a lot of steelbook buyers out there that consider steelbooks a "premium" product because they pay more for them than an amaray case but to the retailers that sell them they are just another product that they sell. Nothing premium about them. Less significant than a computer, or cell phone or a refrigerator and so on.

If you want tons of bubble-wrap or foam blocks and items protected and shipped with care then you will need to stick with so called "premium" steelbook retailers such as Blufans, HDZeta, Novamedia, Filmarena and so on.

I know there are still a lot of steelbook buyers out there that consider steelbooks a "premium" product because they pay more for them than an amaray case but to the retailers that sell them they are just another product that they sell. Nothing premium about them. Less significant than a computer, or cell phone or a refrigerator and so on.

This is true, but for a set like this we're not necessarily looking at chump change, and if items are likely to get dinked and arrive damaged the buck comes back to the seller for replacement/refund, so we'll either see less of these large metal sets made or the retailers will start padding more if they start losing money and stock, as unlikely as that does sound given their track record so far... :sweat:

Side thought, does anyone actually know what these stores do with returned damaged sets like these? Do they get flogged to Cex or something, cos they obviously can't get sold again as new to someone else, but surely haven't lost ALL their value...

I had these sets ordered but canceled, as nice and cool as they and be nice if arrived mint but are after getting a similar one from zavvi a few yesrs back that was a mess and they hassle and carry on i had with zavvi i had them pay for its return.
Took another go and same again. There packing was pathetic. I had order these lotr and hobbit sets from amazon but they are just as bad these days.
Its nice to have these sets in the collection but not messed up so did not want the hassle and
Settled for the local sets which had 30% off over the weekend and I used cards which had 15% off so bog standard 4k editions non steels was $69 and $62 au thats not including the 15% so like $58 and $52 au.
Will just get the collectors set next year.

If only there was retailer or the place that supplied these packed it in foam and special boxes as i just see to many issues with this sort of item.

I had my experience with a zavvi one few years back that was enough for me.

Reactions: Punker76
Got mine from Zavvi, just in a small, thin box, no packing, sadly one small dent that spoils it..

Got mine from Zavvi, just in a small, thin box, no packing, sadly one small dent that spoils it..
Yes and that's just within uk imagine what its like other side of planet two attempts and both was badly damaged not this but one zavvi did previously.
There was no way i would try again with zavvi, but did place order with amazon, but knowing my luck would be same.
Maybe not as bad as the zavvi ones but with these sets its crap they can't improve packing.
Premuims come in foam boxes and then a box so cant see why similiar cant be done with these items.

Yes and that's just within uk imagine what its like other side of planet two attempts and both was badly damaged not this but one zavvi did previously.
There was no way i would try again with zavvi, but did place order with amazon, but knowing my luck would be same.
Maybe not as bad as the zavvi ones but with these sets its crap they can't improve packing.
Premuims come in foam boxes and then a box so cant see why similiar cant be done with these items.
Yes think people would be happy to pay a small increase for proper packing. I have been generally really lucky with Zavvi and Amazon stuff, and have spoken to Zavvi about the packing issue. I think its a numbers game and many arrive undamaged, so the knock 10% off or whatever for small damage, or for those really bothered exchange or refund. Just the way the cookie crumbles. I don't think I could chance it if they were coming from abroad.

Looking at the transfer of these UHDs, I'm kind of glad I avoided them. DNR'ed to crazy in a lot of scenes. They did get rid of the green tint though, which I suppose is a plus....
Hoping they do a proper remaster at 4K, even if the CGI was rendered at 2K.

I don't think you guys understand that the outer metal case is the protective casing to protect your 3 steelbooks during shipping. You're already paying for better packaging, you're paying for that outer metal box.

What do you want now? Do you want your protective metal box that hold the 3 steelbooks shipped inside another protective metal box? What if that metal box gets dented? Ship it inside a cement block?

I think you guys should really think about going back to buying amarays. Not box sets or amarays with slips because I know how you get when the cardboard box or paper thin slips get damaged during shipping.

• Haha
Reactions: Masta Norris
At £100 for each of the two box sets, I think better packing would not go a miss. It shouldn't be hit or miss. These companies make huge amounts of profits.... enough to secure better packaging or a layer of bubble wrap. The outer case is part of the whole package, including the steelbooks, so why shouldn't it be delivered dent free? If I was paying that amount, I'd want it in the condition that it was supposed to be in, I'm afraid.

It's interesting how many people are reporting multiple dents in these sets yet nobody is mentioning anything about dented, crushed or caved in boxes they are shipped in. Just that there aren't enough air bags inside the boxes.

So what's causing the damage? Do you really think it's from sliding around inside the cardboard box? it slides against the inside of the cardboard box and that causes massive dents or buckling?

People seriously believe that? Give your heads a shake and put some thought into it.

If they are damaged during shipping to the customers then why are so many of the sets for in-store pick-ups for Best Buy customers in the U.S. dented in the same way as well? Check out the threads for Lord Of The Rings, Rambo, Harry Potter and the Avengers sets on the "other" site and you'll see that they are already damaged before reaching the retailer.

Side thought, does anyone actually know what these stores do with returned damaged sets like these? Do they get flogged to Cex or something, cos they obviously can't get sold again as new to someone else, but surely haven't lost ALL their value...
I don't actually know but, just a thought, these could be individually shrinkwrapped and added to a (hopefully) future release of the steelbooks without the bulky shelf unit.

• Helpful Post
Reactions: crib79 and spookz
Yes think people would be happy to pay a small increase for proper packing. I have been generally really lucky with Zavvi and Amazon stuff, and have spoken to Zavvi about the packing issue. I think its a numbers game and many arrive undamaged, so the knock 10% off or whatever for small damage, or for those really bothered exchange or refund. Just the way the cookie crumbles. I don't think I could chance it if they were coming from abroad.
If only Zavvi were to roll out a premium service where you pay, I don't know a yearly fee or something, and you get upgraded shipping or better packaging, they could advertise it like you're a VIP or a celebrity at a premiere event... :banghead:

If only Zavvi were to roll out a premium service where you pay, I don't know a yearly fee or something, and you get upgraded shipping or better packaging, they could advertise it like you're a VIP or a celebrity at a premiere event... :banghead:
An extra £10 a year for 10% off etc, is hardly also going to pay for proper packing.

Same here, it's on the back so I might just try and get something off from Zavvi since I won't see it on the shelf. Not going to risk waiting on a replacement, but I do hope The Hobbit set fares better.

I don't think you guys understand that the outer metal case is the protective casing to protect your 3 steelbooks during shipping. You're already paying for better packaging, you're paying for that outer metal box.

What do you want now? Do you want your protective metal box that hold the 3 steelbooks shipped inside another protective metal box? What if that metal box gets dented? Ship it inside a cement block?

I think you guys should really think about going back to buying amarays. Not box sets or amarays with slips because I know how you get when the cardboard box or paper thin slips get damaged during shipping.

I think you should quit the ludicrous trolling, actually. The case is a presentation case not a ******* flight case for Steelbooks.

So.. after receiving this on Monday dented and I planned to return... I realized I was f***ed as my account is so old it was bound to an old work email. I terminated that email address a month ago. As my computer was replaced two months ago, Amazon was going to send information to my old email address when I log in. So now I cannot log in, so I cannot return it. Bejesus, what a numpty I am...

I'm going to chalk this down to (expensive) experience :eggonface:

Could someone please share what the subtitle languages are for all films from this UK release?