The Lord of the Rings Trilogy (4K Blu-ray SteelBooks) [UK]

paulboland

Contributor Steels/Arrow
Contributor
Premium Supporter
Sep 10, 2012
Navan/Ireland
Release date: November 30, 2020 - January 23, 2023 (Re print)
Purchase links: WB Shop - Zavvi - Amazon UK - HMV
Price: £99.99
Finish: Matte w/ no 'bossing (steelbook & case)
Notes: WB Shop includes Artcards - UHD Discs only does not include Blu-ray discs

81Q8mRHYcAL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Last edited:
It’s just a design choice, like ink blots? I don’t mind it. All in all I like these steels but fully anticipate a superior alternative later down the line.

View attachment 494549
I think that's fair, I understand that's it's a design choice but IMO it looks awful, it's like noticing something wrong in a picture and you not being able to unsee it afterwards.

After looking at them a few times now I've realised why it erks me so much, there are black ink blotches throughout the artwork that look fine but these most prominent ones are just bare metal, if they were black I wouldn't mind, if you look at the artwork at the top of the outer tin of the map with the black blotches, it looks lovely, i just wish they had done that for the whole set.

It makes me think of when the gentlemen or karate kid steelbooks got announced and they looked like they had a white back ground In the prerelease images but where bare metal in-hand.
Its just a little disappointing IMO.

I hope one day we get a better set of premium steels for LOTR, from manta, EB or kimchi, and not HDzeta but a man can dream haha.

Reactions: Punker76
I preordered this on Amazon.co.uk and got it dispatched soon after release there. However because of delays in postal office - high traffic and covid thing i got it literally 2 days before New Year.
What i had luck is that - i got refunded total price because i didn't get it on time as it should come - 11th of December and more importantly - there wa no dent nor scratch or anything similar nor to discs, nor to case or steelbooks. So i was extremely lucky. Especially considering how Amazon packs this things.
My order for Hobbit didn't had luck like that - pretty moderate dent to outer case.

expect to get hit by customs :(

If you ordered it before 1/1/21 you won't get affected in any way!
At least in mine country that is. I don't know about you. But if you bought it after New Year then it's different story.

If you ordered it before 1/1/21 you won't get affected in any way!
At least in mine country that is. I don't know about you. But if you bought it after New Year then it's different story.
Zavvi is different only those with a UK delivery address Vat was included in price even before brexit

Will I be charged VAT?

Orders placed, which are delivered within the UK, are inclusive of VAT.

Deliveries outside of the UK may be subject to an import duties and taxes, including VAT, which are levied once the order reaches the destination country.

We recommend that you contact your local customs office for information regarding customs polices as these can vary from country to country.

Zavvi is based in Guernsey
Most of their steelbooks are shipped from Guernsey warehouse
A few rare occasions some items was shipped from The Hut Warehouse based in Warrington.

Guernsey is not part of the EU or UK but its a British crown dependency

As Guernsey is not a EU country customs in some EU countries have often looked for Vat to be paid especially in Germany
Vat is not included in price for those with a delivery address based outside UK
This is also why CN 22 customs label has been on Zavvi parcels since they first setup their online shop.
As items are shipped from location based outside UK and EU

Some EU countries was not a strict as others and that is why you was lucky customs did not look for Vat be paid.
From January 1st 2021 though you won't be lucky anymore to avoid Vat collection by Customs in EU countries as with UK leaving customs union postal providers won't anymore assume was item shipped from EU even though most was shipped from Guernsey.

Customers with a delivery address based outside UK Zavvi don't remove UK vat from price and use lame excuse its to cover insurance costs instead.

From July 1st 2021 Zavvi will have to apply delivery address local EU country vat rate at checkout

From July 1st 2021 Zavvi really should remove UK 20% Vat from price before they apply EU delivery country Vat rate
Don't be surprised if they don't remove the 20% UK vat from price and if that happens their releases will be lot more expensive than previous.

Last edited:
why then price is same for UK and EU customers if one has VAT while EU doesnt?
Zavvi don't remove the Vat from price for delivery address based outside UK and have given the excuse it covers insurance costs instead.
There are a small number of other retailers in UK that only have vat included in price if shipped to a UK address but don't remove vat from price if shipping to a address based outside UK.
These are UK retailers that ship goods from Channel Islands
Channel Islands are British Crown dependencies but not part of UK or EU.

All that changes from July 1st 2021 in regards to EU
All ecommerce websites (online marketplace (OMP)) based outside EU that facilitate purchases (A Website that takes an order and takes payment) and those goods purchased are then shipping to EU address must apply vat at checkout.
The online website will have to register for a Vat ID with revenue in delivery country.

For example Everything Blu already updated their site. And they run simply shopify store. I guess ALL Indie can do this but they simply don't care. But soon I expect too see more and more releases that are not Sold Out if they continue doing that way.

Who else besides Zavvi ship from the VAT Scam islands?

Zavvi don't remove the Vat from price for delivery address based outside UK and have given the excuse it covers insurance costs instead.
There are a small number of other retailers in UK that only have vat included in price if shipped to a UK address but don't remove vat from price if shipping to a address based outside UK.
These are UK retailers that ship goods from Channel Islands
Channel Islands are British Crown dependencies but not part of UK or EU.

All that changes from July 1st 2021 in regards to EU
All ecommerce websites (online marketplace (OMP)) based outside EU that facilitate purchases (A Website that takes an order and takes payment) and those goods purchased are then shipping to EU address must apply vat at checkout.
The online website will have to register for a Vat ID with revenue in delivery country.
also re Zavvi it is problem that on the invoice there is no TAX amount even though they charge us all. Thats what bothers me. A classic VAT scam they are playing for years

Zavvi is different only those with a UK delivery address Vat was included in price even before brexit

Will I be charged VAT?

Orders placed, which are delivered within the UK, are inclusive of VAT.

Deliveries outside of the UK may be subject to an import duties and taxes, including VAT, which are levied once the order reaches the destination country.

We recommend that you contact your local customs office for information regarding customs polices as these can vary from country to country.

Zavvi is based in Guernsey
Most of their steelbooks are shipped from Guernsey warehouse
A few rare occasions some items was shipped from The Hut Warehouse based in Warrington.

Guernsey is not part of the EU or UK but its a British crown dependency

As Guernsey is not a EU country customs in some EU countries have often looked for Vat to be paid especially in Germany
Vat is not included in price for those with a delivery address based outside UK
This is also why CN 22 customs label has been on Zavvi parcels since they first setup their online shop.
As items are shipped from location based outside UK and EU

Some EU countries was not a strict as others and that is why you was lucky customs did not look for Vat be paid.
From January 1st 2021 though you won't be lucky anymore to avoid Vat collection by Customs in EU countries as with UK leaving customs union postal providers won't anymore assume was item shipped from EU even though most was shipped from Guernsey.

Customers with a delivery address based outside UK Zavvi don't remove UK vat from price and use lame excuse its to cover insurance costs instead.

From July 1st 2021 Zavvi will have to apply delivery address local EU country vat rate at checkout

From July 1st 2021 Zavvi really should remove UK 20% Vat from price before they apply EU delivery country Vat rate
Don't be surprised if they don't remove the 20% UK vat from price and if that happens their releases will be lot more expensive than previous.

Our post was explicit - if customer placed order before 1/1/21 they won't be charged VAT. If order will be placed 1/1/21 or later you'll be charged.

I got lucky cause i placed 1 order of 6 steels n 31/12/20 :D so that was it.

Our post was explicit - if customer placed order before 1/1/21 they won't be charged VAT. If order will be placed 1/1/21 or later you'll be charged.

I got lucky cause i placed 1 order of 6 steels n 31/12/20 :D so that was it.
You originaly replied to a member who ordered Lord of the Rings from Zavvi

Customers based in EU can be charged Vat by custums for orders done from Zavvi before 1/1/2021 and have been before in some EU countries
Zavvi warehouse is based in Guernsey
Guernsey is not part of UK or EU

With Zavvi Vat is only included if delivery address is in UK due to Guernsey been a british crown dependency
Did you not ever wonder why your Zavvi parcels has CN 22 custums label even before brexit happened
On a few rare occasions some Zavvi orders are shipped the Hut Warehouse based in Warrington
The hut group own Zavvi

How long have you been ordering from Zavvi

Most Zavvi orders are not shipped from UK or EU

Some customers based in EU previously got lucky and avoided custums looking for Vat payment on Zavvi orders but not all as custums in a few EU countries if value of goods was over €22 customers had to pay vat to postal courier when delivering orders
A good few HDN members from Germany and some other EU countries will confirm this

In regards to Zavvi Vat is only included for those with a delivery address based in UK
Zavvi though will have to apply EU local country Vat rate at checkout from July 1st 2021 for orders been shipped to EU countries as will all retailers based outside EU

Zavvi orders have always been considered imports from outside EU/UK in regards to customers based in EU even before brexit happened
Customers with a delivery address based outside UK the only reason some previously avoided custums not looking for Vat be paid on goods with a value over €22 was luck
Officially custums in all EU countries was supposed to look for Vat payment from customers on those Zavvi orders with value over €22 as vat was not included in purchase.
Main reason some EU customers got lucky was some postal carriers thinking was it was a item shipped from EU or UK or just let it avoid customs check on purpose

Reactions: 5t33lb0y
paulboland, i've been ordering for quite some time from them but then it came time when i didn't order nothing. Was quite some time.
I just know that what i ordered so far i didn't get hit by customs - so so far no delay by customs in my country.