Release date: May 23, 2016
Purchase link: The Mist
Price: £14.99
Notes: Limited to 2,000 copies.

11243880-8494363308095367.jpg

11243880-1234363308586173.jpg

11243880-1754363308401841.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't understand why people keep saying this, Amelie, and Bronson look like Pop Art. They don't look like Pop Art releases at all. Do you all think that anything drawn/painted/etc.--anything other than a photograph or film still, basically--is Pop Art? Do you think Mondo's stuff is Pop Art?

I don't understand why people keep saying this, Amelie, and Bronson look like Pop Art. They don't look like Pop Art releases at all. Do you all think that anything drawn/painted/etc.--anything other than a photograph or film still, basically--is Pop Art? Do you think Mondo's stuff is Pop Art?
I said something similar in another thread, but still keep seeing people refer to them as "pop art". Not that it's really their fault though... even the Pop Art wave of steelbooks weren't exactly pop art, so no wonder people are confused.

Reactions: Flloydo
I said something similar in another thread, but still keep seeing people refer to them as "pop art". Not that it's really their fault though... even the Pop Art wave of steelbooks weren't exactly pop art, so no wonder people are confused.

It's a massive step above apparent "Pop art"

I agree noodles. I don't own them but i think the equaliser steel looks awesome and I like the evil dead one too. Just cool art.
Big fan of drive, Kung fu hustle, desperado and dr strangelove too but I understand why people might think it (plus the stickers do say pop art lol)

But I'm loving the mist, Bronson and Amelie art - defo not pop art

Reactions: Noodles
It's a massive step above apparent "Pop art"

I agree noodles. I don't own them but i think the equaliser steel looks awesome and I like the evil dead one too. Just cool art.
Big fan of drive, Kung fu hustle, desperado and dr strangelove too but I understand why people might think it (plus the stickers do say pop art lol)

But I'm loving the mist, Bronson and Amelie art - defo not pop art
Yep, that was my point bud... even the studio called the line of steels Pop Art, so the blame is on them lol. I did really like the majority of those steels though, so I'm not complaining about the art itself, just the misuse of the name. Can't say I'm a huge fan of pop art in all honesty. :p

But, yeah... I'd say the art on The Mist, Amelie and Bronson is closer to vector than pop art. I absolutely love the art on these steels anyway. Would really like to know who the artist is (I'm assuming it's just one person). Hopefully we see more in this wave. :)

Given that the Thomas Jane character is based on movie poster artist Drew Struzan they could have gone for this:
002a.jpg

as this is the poster Jane's character is working on at the beginning of the movie;
002.jpg

Obviously it wouldn't appeal to those who prefer the original poster artwork, but it would make a neat touch. Or maybe use for the back cover art...

Anyways, I kind of like this new artwork, but inclined to see finish and wait for a price drop before committing.

Given that the Thomas Jane character is based on movie poster artist Drew Struzan they could have gone for this:
View attachment 217390
as this is the poster Jane's character is working on at the beginning of the movie;
View attachment 217391
Obviously it wouldn't appeal to those who prefer the original poster artwork, but it would make a neat touch. Or maybe use for the back cover art...

Anyways, I kind of like this new artwork, but inclined to see finish and wait for a price drop before committing.

I'm not sure a picture of what is essentially "The Dark Tower" would be the best cover for "The Mist".
Other than a nod to Stephen King, it has nothing to do with the plot. It wouldn't really make any sense.

Reactions: BluSteel2012
For anyone who is interested, we used an agency called Oink for the four upcoming steelbook releases. (Amelie, The Mist, Bronson and Ghost Rider) The spec was to create something different and fresh for the titles, and not be lazy and use a straight theatrical adapt. They are all hand drawn pieces of art, specifically created to compliment the steel. Hopefully if these prove successful there will be more steel books in production using similar styles of artwork. We (Entertainment One) are personally very happy with the results. As a studio we have a lot more planned... (Walking Dead's are planned next)

The spec was to create something different and fresh for the titles, and not be lazy and use a straight theatrical adapt.

I'll think you'll find 9 times out of 10 that most collectors prefer the original poster artworks used on steelbooks instead of hand drawn comic style stuff. Unless it's something really special.

Personally I fall into that category myself. Never buy these 'pop art' style nonsense as they always look far removed from anything associated with the content of their respective movies.

Just thought I'd relay that feedback to you from myself........

Can you tell me what finish these steelbooks will have? Any embossing or gloss?

Last edited:
I've nothing against pop art expect I hate it and I do wish they would do 2 versions of the steelbooks. One with pop art and one with proper art. There are at least 6 steelbooks I would love to buy but they are pop art only. Shame.

For anyone who is interested, we used an agency called Oink for the four upcoming steelbook releases. (Amelie, The Mist, Bronson and Ghost Rider) The spec was to create something different and fresh for the titles, and not be lazy and use a straight theatrical adapt. They are all hand drawn pieces of art, specifically created to compliment the steel. Hopefully if these prove successful there will be more steel books in production using similar styles of artwork. We (Entertainment One) are personally very happy with the results. As a studio we have a lot more planned... (Walking Dead's are planned next)

Interesting.

my wish is you would make steels for movies that does not have steel release yet.

amelie, the mist, ghost rider and walking dead have those already.

Reactions: Scary Hair
I'll think you'll find 9 times out of 10 that most collectors prefer the original poster artworks used on steelbooks instead of hand drawn comic style stuff. Unless it's something really special.

Personally I fall into that category myself. Never buy these 'pop art' style nonsense as they always look far removed from anything associated with the content of their respective movies.

Just said I relay that feedback to you from myself........

Can you tell me what finish these steelbooks will have? Any embossing or gloss?

All 4 are matte mate. Eone already confirmed in the other threads

I wouldn't call these pop art either personally. A massive step above

I'm just annoyed these are not spot glossed or full gloss (but this one might suit matte in honesty)

And I also think the art for this p*sses over the German version IMO

@eonedirect what ever happened to the plans for lost in translation? That's one a lot of us collectors want and I remember you teasing us

Last edited:
"Pop art" :facepalm:

Personally, I love the art on these and from most of the comments I've seen (both on here and social media) it seems many others do too... it'd be nice to see sales prove this, but at £15 each, I don't expect them to sell too well. Obviously I'd love to proven wrong though! Either way, I hope these are the first of many in this new "art" line from @eonedirect.

P.S. As @Flloydo mentioned... Lost in Translation seriously needs a steelbook! Something with similar art to these would be awesome IMO. ;)

"Pop art" :facepalm:

Personally, I love the art on these and from most of the comments I've seen (both on here and social media) it seems many others do too... it'd be nice to see sales prove this, but at £15 each, I don't expect them to sell too well. Obviously I'd love to proven wrong though! Either way, I hope these are the first of many in this new "art" line from @eonedirect.

P.S. As @Flloydo mentioned... Lost in Translation seriously needs a steelbook! Something with similar art to these would be awesome IMO. ;)

I know, here we go again with the "anything drawn equals Pop Art" crap. These are nothing of the sort.

I don't believe this is true. Why, then, are Mondo releases so popular? And personally, unless the original movie poster is something really special, I nearly always prefer unique art and design. Using original poster art just seems so typical and lazy to me.

Hello,
What are the chances of you making Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind and Lost in Translation steelbooks?

I've pre-ordered The Mist and I'm looking forward to finally watching the black and white version.

Thanks

Hello,
What are the chances of you making Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind and Lost in Translation steelbooks?

I've pre-ordered The Mist and I'm looking forward to finally watching the black and white version.

Thanks

There is a beautiful kimchi Enternal sunshine package but it prob is rather expensive now.

I swear I remember Eone mentioning feedback on a lost in translation Steelbook but it was about a year ago and it had a huge positive response.
Am I right @Noodles? Was it Eone? (If you remember)
Or anyone else remember?

There is a beautiful kimchi Enternal sunshine package but it prob is rather expensive now.

I swear I remember Eone mentioning feedback on a lost in translation Steelbook but it was about a year ago and it had a huge positive response.
Or anyone else remember?

Thank you but I only collect British steelbook releases so will only buy Eternal Sunshine if e one release it here.

• Informative

Or anyone else remember?

They did a poll and Lost in Translation won by a landslide. I remember Football Factory was another one in the poll - it got about 4 votes.

They did a poll and Lost in Translation won by a landslide. I remember Football Factory was another one in the poll - it got about 4 votes.

Ahh yes i remember the poll now

Lol don't remember football factory on it though. Haven't seen it in years but I like that film
I remember the original version with the oasis soundtrack was better

For everyone asking about Lost In Translation and Eternal Sunshine, we couldn't get the artwork approved. We mocked these up in the same style artwork which looked amazing, sadly the production company would not approve it....we tried several times we different concepts, including a straight theatrical adapt and they wouldn't let us produce it. We are gutted! :(

I think I've finally realized why I dislike this art. It all comes down to the title and I think it's the biggest single problem I have with most hand drawn art like this. Why oh why do they have to shoehorn the title in somewhere into the artwork??? It looks so pretentious and it puts me off immediately. If they had used this art with the original title font overlaying the image then this would work SO much better. For me it creates entirely the wrong tone that clashes with the rest of the design. I also don't like the fact that they basically said that they fancy doing the next 4 steelbooks with hand drawn art. I strongly believe that each film should have individual art considerations rather than being lumped into a "wave" of similar designs because it's the trend to do so.

@eonedirect is there ANY chance at all that this could be changed if there is enough feedback from people to do so, maybe via a poll or something? PS - I appreciate the way you have taken the time to come onto the HDN forum to answer questions and listen to feedback :thumbs: