Horror-Theatrical The Neon Demon - In theaters June, 2016

Jan 31, 2012
[CONTAINER][MOVIE1]Title: The Neon Demon (2016)

Genre: [GENRE]Drama[/GENRE], [GENRE]Horror[/GENRE], [GENRE]Mystery[/GENRE]

Director: [DIRECTOR]Nicolas Winding Refn[/DIRECTOR]

Cast: [ACTOR]Elle Fanning[/ACTOR], [ACTOR]Abbey Lee[/ACTOR], [ACTOR]Jena Malone[/ACTOR], [ACTOR]Keanu Reeves[/ACTOR], [ACTOR]Christina Hendricks[/ACTOR], [ACTOR]Bella Heathcote[/ACTOR]

Release Date: [RELEASE]2016-01-01[/RELEASE]

Runtime: [RUNTIME]0[/RUNTIME]

Plot: An aspiring model finds herself in a terrifying predicament with her survival hanging in the balance.[/MOVIE1][POSTER1]
6ihkIMgK3wfOpS9yT9oVUPXSTiZ.jpg
[/POSTER1][/CONTAINER]

There isn't all too much info at this point but I figured with so many Drive fans floating around in here, people would be interested to hear a scant few details and check out the first poster (or concept?) image for Nicolas Winding Refn's all-female horror flick.

Credit goes to http://twitchfilm.com/ for the info:

GAUMONT & WILD BUNCH encounter THE NEON DEMON...

After Only God Forgives (in competition at Cannes Film Festival 2013), Gaumont and Wild Bunch team up again to co-finance and co-distribute the next film by Nicolas Winding Refn.

The Neon Demon reveals a horror tale with a young female driven cast, written by NWR and Mary Laws.

About the origin of the movie, Refn said, "One morning I woke and realized I was both surrounded and dominated by women. Strangely, a sudden urge was planted in me to make a horror film about vicious beauty. After making DRIVE and falling madly in love with the electricity of Los Angeles, I knew I had to return to tell the story of THE NEON DEMON."

Refn's partner, Lene Borglum (Valhalla Rising, Only God Forgives) will be producing under their joint company, Space Rocket.

Principal photography is set to begin in the first quarter of 2015 and will be filmed in Los Angeles, CA. The cast will be announced later this year. Refn's regular collaborators, editor Matthew Newman (Bronson, Drive, Only God Forgives) and composter Cliff Martinez (Drive, Only God Forgives) will be joined by director of photography, Philippe Le Sourd (The Grand Master) on the production of NWR's film.

Gaumont and Wild Bunch will be selling the movie at the upcoming AFM for a 2016 release.

"I'm very excited to continue my wonderful relationship with Wild Bunch and Gaumont on my next film, THE NEON DEMON. This movie is a manifestation of the strong ties between us and will lead to many more adventures," said Nicolas Winding Refn.

-------

I just hope this one will get NWR back on track after Only God Forgives. :emb:

Attachments

• neon.jpg
    neon.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 313
Last edited by a moderator:
The soundtrack and visuals are probably the best thing about it, so you're all set there! The pace is pretty slow IMO... it all kicks off quite late in, which was one of my main criticisms.
Thanks Nick, I will lower my expectations and hopefully I will enjoy it!:thumbs:

• Thanks
Reactions: Noodles
@Noodles

Okay so I finally see this.

Wow, I can't stop thinking of it. This film was f*cking amazing and everything I wanted. I actually think I prefer this to drive :OMG:!!! And for me it p*ssed over OGF.

There's a few points we discussed well before we see it that I will adress in a spoiler

Going back to a point you made about vampires (just read you messages) I honestly thought that when she lunges for her and licks her face and then another moment a little later (cant remember what it was) but then I realised we had seen the other girls in the day time)

Elle was incredible and so was Keanu

Sarah was awesome, and sooo f*cking hot and I can't believe the last 15 mins. I was wondering why is this a horror and then it turns into a occult film!!!

Now my theory is Gigi has never done this before hence why she f*cks up at the end and screams she wants her out of her also she has had work on her body and I think the ritual the 3 girls perform goes against her as she isn't natural. but I get the feeling Sarah has done it before but not in a while hence why she looks a little Ill and dead when she does the catwalk and jesse gets the part (after they have eaten her and bathed in her blood Sarah goes to that shoot to wait for Gigi and she looks outstanding and glowing like a different girl and the photographer who has met her before and pretty sure worked with here don't recognise her and wants to work with her- all adds up with the other girl asking if she's ever been cheated out of a role etc plus the ritual of eating a natural beauty is working on her now.

Also with ruby after they have eaten her she's laying in the grave like nothing's wrong, she has all those tattoos which I think are to do with the occult, plus she menstruates in the moonlight after th ritual - I think she's the ring leader and possibly got Sarah into it a few years back, ruby is basically a witch.

Oh it was the bathing in the blood that brought back the vampire thing but then it was obvious at the end it was a occult thing.

I liked the change in her on the catwalk shoot when we see the blue triangle got to red, it was obvious her darker side was coming out and embrasing this evil world of vanity. Then she was changed at the sit down with her BF and at the end on the diving board accepting she is gorgeous and everyone lusts her

I found this film a bit more obvious than say OGF which I really didn't have a clue what was going on.

The film is hugely about lust, paranoia and envy for me.
The bit where she dreams Keanu throat f*cking her with a knife was mental but when he goes next door (to the 13 year old) she said to ruby he was killing her, that's the huge paranoia bit becaue of what she's dreaming and visualising.
He wasn't killing her, he was doing you know what.

Truly loved the film and the moment they attack her my jaw was dropped till the end.

I wonder what the house was all about, she acts weird when she says it's hers but ruby pauses and says she's looking after it, now I think that's the house they do all the rituals in due to that room with the large window so the moon can shine through when she bleeds everywhere. Like in one of the paranormal activities and the witches all meet up in that one house

I also wonder if that cougar thing that trashes her room was the stuffed big cat we see in Ruby's place. Like she set it on her but Jesse was out and didn't kill her. Maybe it was another spell or witchcraft in a first attempt to kill her. Jesse was obviously the biggest competition to these other girls in quite a few years

But that ending, first of all I couldn't take my eyes off Sarah, that outfit with the leather jacket is so hot and then what she's wearing when she eats the eyeball. Damn, and that snarl she does with her top lip sent me over the edge lol. Amazing

Also another reason why I think 2 of the 3 girls have been doing this for a while is when Sarah's licks her blood it's like she was jumping ahead of the ritual to taste her blood and beauty (making it look like she's a vamp but really forgetting they need to do something to make the blood tasting work on them), ruby works with dead bodies - found it ironic she makes dead bodies look alive and alive models look a bit dead in certain shoots) but she's comfortable with the dead kind of thing - possibly does stuff like the spitting before but to get her witch craft, and then like I say it affected Gigi differently because she's never done that, she's always paid to get work by paying for work on her body and this is the first time with Jesse coming along that she's not getting work plus how sick she felt when Sarah said "I ate her" and then wants her out of her and kills herself for that reason.

It wasn't really a horror until the end but it reminded me of the ending of the witch. The ending of that is fantastic (last 2 mins) and I wouldn't really call the witch a horror until the last 20/30 mins.

My two letters H & F meant horror or fantasy - like in her mind but this was before I knew it was even labelled as a horror.
I knew it would be psychological though,

I'm guessing your letter was V for vampire?

Now I need to pick the vinyl up at some point - the music was very horror esque

This seriously left an impression on me and I feel like it's the first film of his I saw really clearly without all the hidden messages and understood what was really going on. Mind you drive is a bit like that if you don't look too deep. But looking deep into this and OGF works better - like with enemy even though OGF went over my head

I'll be watching this again very soon

@Noodles

Okay so I finally see this.

Wow, I can't stop thinking of it. This film was f*cking amazing and everything I wanted. I actually think I prefer this to drive :OMG:!!! And for me it p*ssed over OGF.

There's a few points we discussed well before we see it that I will adress in a spoiler

Going back to a point you made about vampires (just read you messages) I honestly thought that when she lunges for her and licks her face and then another moment a little later (cant remember what it was) but then I realised we had seen the other girls in the day time)

Elle was incredible and so was Keanu

Sarah was awesome, and sooo f*cking hot and I can't believe the last 15 mins. I was wondering why is this a horror and then it turns into a occult film!!!

Now my theory is Gigi has never done this before hence why she f*cks up at the end and screams she wants her out of her also she has had work on her body and I think the ritual the 3 girls perform goes against her as she isn't natural. but I get the feeling Sarah has done it before but not in a while hence why she looks a little Ill and dead when she does the catwalk and jesse gets the part (after they have eaten her and bathed in her blood Sarah goes to that shoot to wait for Gigi and she looks outstanding and glowing like a different girl and the photographer who has met her before and pretty sure worked with here don't recognise her and wants to work with her- all adds up with the other girl asking if she's ever been cheated out of a role etc plus the ritual of eating a natural beauty is working on her now.

Also with ruby after they have eaten her she's laying in the grave like nothing's wrong, she has all those tattoos which I think are to do with the occult, plus she menstruates in the moonlight after th ritual - I think she's the ring leader and possibly got Sarah into it a few years back, ruby is basically a witch.

Oh it was the bathing in the blood that brought back the vampire thing but then it was obvious at the end it was a occult thing.

I liked the change in her on the catwalk shoot when we see the blue triangle got to red, it was obvious her darker side was coming out and embrasing this evil world of vanity. Then she was changed at the sit down with her BF and at the end on the diving board accepting she is gorgeous and everyone lusts her

I found this film a bit more obvious than say OGF which I really didn't have a clue what was going on.

The film is hugely about lust, paranoia and envy for me.
The bit where she dreams Keanu throat f*cking her with a knife was mental but when he goes next door (to the 13 year old) she said to ruby he was killing her, that's the huge paranoia bit becaue of what she's dreaming and visualising.
He wasn't killing her, he was doing you know what.

Truly loved the film and the moment they attack her my jaw was dropped till the end.

I wonder what the house was all about, she acts weird when she says it's hers but ruby pauses and says she's looking after it, now I think that's the house they do all the rituals in due to that room with the large window so the moon can shine through when she bleeds everywhere. Like in one of the paranormal activities and the witches all meet up in that one house

I also wonder if that cougar thing that trashes her room was the stuffed big cat we see in Ruby's place. Like she set it on her but Jesse was out and didn't kill her. Maybe it was another spell or witchcraft in a first attempt to kill her. Jesse was obviously the biggest competition to these other girls in quite a few years

But that ending, first of all I couldn't take my eyes off Sarah, that outfit with the leather jacket is so hot and then what she's wearing when she eats the eyeball. Damn, and that snarl she does with her top lip sent me over the edge lol. Amazing

Also another reason why I think 2 of the 3 girls have been doing this for a while is when Sarah's licks her blood it's like she was jumping ahead of the ritual to taste her blood and beauty (making it look like she's a vamp but really forgetting they need to do something to make the blood tasting work on them), ruby works with dead bodies - found it ironic she makes dead bodies look alive and alive models look a bit dead in certain shoots) but she's comfortable with the dead kind of thing - possibly does stuff like the spitting before but to get her witch craft, and then like I say it affected Gigi differently because she's never done that, she's always paid to get work by paying for work on her body and this is the first time with Jesse coming along that she's not getting work plus how sick she felt when Sarah said "I ate her" and then wants her out of her and kills herself for that reason.

It wasn't really a horror until the end but it reminded me of the ending of the witch. The ending of that is fantastic (last 2 mins) and I wouldn't really call the witch a horror until the last 20/30 mins.

My two letters H & F meant horror or fantasy - like in her mind but this was before I knew it was even labelled as a horror.
I knew it would be psychological though,

I'm guessing your letter was V for vampire?

Now I need to pick the vinyl up at some point - the music was very horror esque

This seriously left an impression on me and I feel like it's the first film of his I saw really clearly without all the hidden messages and understood what was really going on. Mind you drive is a bit like that if you don't look too deep. But looking deep into this and OGF works better - like with enemy even though OGF went over my head

I'll be watching this again very soon

Glad you enjoyed it mate. :thumbs:

I'm not familiar with occult stuff (probably because I avoid most horror films), but that definitely seems to be what was going on now that you've pointed it out. And yes, V (for vampires) was my letter. ;)

I think the main reason I found it to be a little underwhelming is because it was pretty different to what I expected... not that I still didn't enjoy it though! I'm pretty certain I'll fall in love with it on rewatch. :)

And yeah... you definitely need to pick up the vinyl! I love listening to it at night... it's pretty dreamlike. What editions of the film are you planning to get bud? So far I've ordered both the German steelbook and digibook. Release day can't come soon enough! :D

• Thanks
Reactions: Flloydo
Glad you enjoyed it mate. :thumbs:

I'm not familiar with occult stuff (probably because I avoid most horror films), but that definitely seems to be what was going on now that you've pointed it out. And yes, V (for vampires) was my letter. ;)

I think the main reason I found it to be a little underwhelming is because it was pretty different to what I expected... not that I still didn't enjoy it though! I'm pretty certain I'll fall in love with it on rewatch. :)

And yeah... you definitely need to pick up the vinyl! I love listening to it at night... it's pretty dreamlike. What editions of the film are you planning to get bud? So far I've ordered both the German steelbook and digibook. Release day can't come soon enough! :D

Honestly mate can't stop thinking of it

I might even watch it again tonight lol

Yeah I'm pretty sure it's occult and it's not that you have to see other horrors but the house from paranormal activity was an example of other films where they use one place to do weird sh*t. There are many others

I'm sure it is because of ruby and Sarah, ruby is defo the leader but Sarah is not new to this (she seems like a girl who's done some sh*t to get to where she is), explains why she looks so dead in the skin up until they've eaten Jesse and now she's unrecognisable, stunning and got new work the next day whilst another girl gets humiliated.

All of a sudden ruby has loads of tattoos, reading whilst laying in a grave, in a bath of blood looking as if it's normal whilst the other 2 are showering naked together - very witch/ occult like but I think Gigi is in the moment in that scene and enjoying showering naked, obviously it affects her the next day

He could of done it so the girls shower and bathe in blood and ended it as them being f*cking weirdos, jealous and killers but the moonlight scene with ruby letting it all out and the regurgitation of the eye and screaming I need to get her out screams that they did some ritual/ sacrifice to make them have the natural beauty. You never know, ruby might be a older lady like the red woman in thrones but harnesses youth and beauty each time it happens

If you notice, both ruby and Sarah have moments where they look a little ill during he film and then boom fine the day after Jesse supper. Even when she's washing the blood off the pool she seems more radiant.
Gigi always looks decent to a degree because of the cosmetic surgery and she's never done what the oher 2 girls do by eating their competition and/or sold her soul to the devil or however you want to put it.
So she looks more Ill after eating her becasue the witchcraft isn't working on her. She's guilty, worried and scared of what's just happened so maybe that affects her stomaching it.

I also swear I see Sarah's eye brighten up after she eats Jesse eye like it's refreshing her. I need to watch that bit again

There are loads of hidden messages too like the whole LA will draw you in and eat you up if your not careful or too weak

I also literally just read a few bits which I didn't notice. Ruby offers Jesse red rum lipstick (murder) and says in this industry your either food or sex.
Considering she turns down sex with ruby she then becomes food

Ruby is always wearing red too. Like a demon, evil or like how Jesse finally turns when she's kissing her own reflection finally basking in her vanity in the red neon glow

Very interesting but I seriously thought vampires at one point too. That would of been equally as cool as a occult IMO

I didn't see that ending ending coming, I thought Jesse was going To kill people and then like American psycho - is it real or not. Did it happen or all in the head so when she got pushed I was shocked as there was still 15 mins left.
Apart from that It was kinda different to what I was expecting but also a lot of what I was expecting. If that makes sense

I loved how evil the girls were and their conversations and Keanu was a scene stealer when he was on screen.

I will get the vinyl at some point, I want to get the translucent blue and green so when I see it around the £25 mark I'll prob buy it

I've got the German steel on order and I'll wait to see pics of the Italian one but the digi book looks very cool, I have to be a bit careful at the mo with money but I can see this going the same way as drive and getting some cool editions in a year or two. A premium from kimchi would be cool. I can see me trying to get as many as possible as I can afford.
I think this film will go cult tbh

I like one of the slip cases too, might be French. Can't remember

So what did you think was going on before I mentioned occult and witches?

• Thanks
Reactions: Noodles
Honestly mate can't stop thinking of it

I might even watch it again tonight lol

Yeah I'm pretty sure it's occult and it's not that you have to see other horrors but the house from paranormal activity was an example of other films where they use one place to do weird sh*t. There are many others

I'm sure it is because of ruby and Sarah, ruby is defo the leader but Sarah is not new to this (she seems like a girl who's done some sh*t to get to where she is), explains why she looks so dead in the skin up until they've eaten Jesse and now she's unrecognisable, stunning and got new work the next day whilst another girl gets humiliated.

All of a sudden ruby has loads of tattoos, reading whilst laying in a grave, in a bath of blood looking as if it's normal whilst the other 2 are showering naked together - very witch/ occult like but I think Gigi is in the moment in that scene and enjoying showering naked, obviously it affects her the next day

He could of done it so the girls shower and bathe in blood and ended it as them being f*cking weirdos, jealous and killers but the moonlight scene with ruby letting it all out and the regurgitation of the eye and screaming I need to get her out screams that they did some ritual/ sacrifice to make them have the natural beauty. You never know, ruby might be a older lady like the red woman in thrones but harnesses youth and beauty each time it happens

If you notice, both ruby and Sarah have moments where they look a little ill during he film and then boom fine the day after Jesse supper. Even when she's washing the blood off the pool she seems more radiant.
Gigi always looks decent to a degree because of the cosmetic surgery and she's never done what the oher 2 girls do by eating their competition and/or sold her soul to the devil or however you want to put it.
So she looks more Ill after eating her becasue the witchcraft isn't working on her. She's guilty, worried and scared of what's just happened so maybe that affects her stomaching it.

I also swear I see Sarah's eye brighten up after she eats Jesse eye like it's refreshing her. I need to watch that bit again

There are loads of hidden messages too like the whole LA will draw you in and eat you up if your not careful or too weak

I also literally just read a few bits which I didn't notice. Ruby offers Jesse red rum lipstick (murder) and says in this industry your either food or sex.
Considering she turns down sex with ruby she then becomes food

Ruby is always wearing red too. Like a demon, evil or like how Jesse finally turns when she's kissing her own reflection finally basking in her vanity in the red neon glow

Very interesting but I seriously thought vampires at one point too. That would of been equally as cool as a occult IMO

I didn't see that ending ending coming, I thought Jesse was going To kill people and then like American psycho - is it real or not. Did it happen or all in the head so when she got pushed I was shocked as there was still 15 mins left.
Apart from that It was kinda different to what I was expecting but also a lot of what I was expecting. If that makes sense

I loved how evil the girls were and their conversations and Keanu was a scene stealer when he was on screen.

I will get the vinyl at some point, I want to get the translucent blue and green so when I see it around the £25 mark I'll prob buy it

I've got the German steel on order and I'll wait to see pics of the Italian one but the digi book looks very cool, I have to be a bit careful at the mo with money but I can see this going the same way as drive and getting some cool editions in a year or two. A premium from kimchi would be cool. I can see me trying to get as many as possible as I can afford.
I think this film will go cult tbh

I like one of the slip cases too, might be French. Can't remember

So what did you think was going on before I mentioned occult and witches?

All very good points mate... makes me want to rewatch it again right now too, just to check them out lol.

One thing you mentioned before and I forgot to comment on was the cougar... that seemed pretty random to me, so it'd be interesting to know the real meaning behind it. What you said about them eating their victims to regenerate/regain their beauty is what went through my mind anyway... but I thought it was probably just because they were crazy rather than being witches :LOL: - the occult thing makes a lot of sense though.

It's definitely going to be interesting watching it again knowing all these little things to look for now. Sarah always kind of looked ill to me when she wasn't wearing make-up, but I put it down to her just being super skinny (possibly anorexic). The whole red lipstick thing and what Ruby said about being food or sex did stick with me though, which obviously made a lot of sense at the end like you said.

I'd love for one of the Asian retailers to do a premium edition for this film too dude, but I honestly don't see it happening unfortunately. The steel and digi are enough for me at the moment anyway. :)

• Thanks
Reactions: lolwut and Flloydo
All very good points mate... makes me want to rewatch it again right now too, just to check them out lol.

One thing you mentioned before and I forgot to comment on was the cougar... that seemed pretty random to me, so it'd be interesting to know the real meaning behind it. What you said about them eating their victims to regenerate/regain their beauty is what went through my mind anyway... but I thought it was probably just because they were crazy rather than being witches :LOL: - the occult thing makes a lot of sense though.

It's definitely going to be interesting watching it again knowing all these little things to look for now. Sarah always kind of looked ill to me when she wasn't wearing make-up, but I put it down to her just being super skinny (possibly anorexic). The whole red lipstick thing and what Ruby said about being food or sex did stick with me though, which obviously made a lot of sense at the end like you said.

I'd love for one of the Asian retailers to do a premium edition for this film too dude, but I honestly don't see it happening unfortunately. The steel and digi are enough for me at the moment anyway. :)

I hope you like it more on the second watch because I need someone on here who I get on with who likes it as much as I do lol

This needs a phonecall not a forum and sadly none of my mates would like this and the one person who would passed away a couple of years ago unfortunately and he would of loved this.

Yes with the cougar, the thing I mentioned about ruby having a stuffed cougar and possible witch craft on making it come back to life to eat jesses isn't what I actually think although I'm convincing myself now lol but I thought of it this morning when I woke up but yeah the cougar is a mystery.
I'm not sure if it has meaning or supposed to be a David lynch random moment but I keep thinking off the stuffed version and it appearing on art like the vinyl.
I've only had one read online about it earlier but didn't see anyone mention the cat which I found odd.

Another thing that I've been thinking about is jesses virginity. She claims she is not a virgin until the end and ruby switches into different mode.
I think she had to possibly be a virgin for the ritual, before she tries to have sex with her we see her getting down and dirty with a corpse whilst fantasising about Jesse. What if it's ruby putting these visions in her head and of Keanu about to **** her to make her go to ruby.
She does say to Jesse earlier on call me day or night. Maybe her trying to have sex with her was to test if she's 100% virgin so they could carry on with the killing and eating.

Maybe the cougar is Jesse or maybe it's ruby. I see a poster possibly fan art of Jesse laying there on a bed but her head is the cougar. Think the tag was beauty is evil or something.
But then ruby could be the cougar as they do walk in and see it. Maybe to put fear into keanus character to stop him from raping her and not tainting with her virginity. Tough one

But it's clear to me black magic and witch craft is used so that may explain ruby being quite powerful and becoming the cougar or controlling it. Keep thinking of fight club and power animals now lol

The thing is with Sarah and the no make up is they were making her as natural as possible and I know pale works because I like pale girls like her but she did look a little over board ill plus she was jealous this new girl was getting work by pretty much doing nothing.
The black magic she used before was wearing off hence why she tries suck the blood from her cut hand for a quick fix and where the lust for becoming noticed again took over she kinda blew her cover of what secrets does she have.

At the end although she is wearing make up to look more radiant for the film I think she's still supposed to be make up free and naturally stunning again. It's confirmed by the photographer not noticing her but if her eyes do glow up when she eats the eyeball then it's 100% that

I also read something interesting on how it's attacking the fashion world of anorexia. Because it's ironic girls like that barley eat and make themselves sick but in this they are happy being a cannibal - I personally love that and it came straight to mind when that happened and the whole film makes it out like girls like that are just pieces of meat which is true in a way for that job as harsh as it sounds because of how brutal the selection process can be like when they are all in underwear lined up. The way that guy is a pig about it all and his comments and un appreciation for the other girls. There is mention of fresh meat a few times too.
This all really happens but I think people get offended when it's spelt out for them.

Also Gigi can't sick her up at the end, she's done it too much kind of thing or Jesses spirit is stopping her

And the other thing I read along with the anorexia thing is this has hidden meaning to refns career and this is him as pusher then drive then OGF but then Hollywood chewed him up and spat him out but I'll let you look that one up in more detail, very interesting but kinda irrelevant in my opinion to the film and working out the characters

I get what you mean with a asian retailer but you never know, they love some weird sh*t and this includes quite a lot of weird sh*t lol
Might be up their street

I might even jump on that digibook tbh