The Road (Blu-ray SteelBook) (Zavvi Exclusive) [UK]

digitalbabe

Premium Supporter
Apr 12, 2009
USA
Release date: 11 August 2014 (was August 4th, 2014)
Buy link: The Road
Note: Limited to 2000

wtVDMv1403870018.jpg

Attachments

• thumb.jpg
    thumb.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 316
Last edited by a moderator:
The Icon icon is a bit too visible - being a big orange square on a steelbook that will basically have nothing but 50 shades of gray :D.

But that doesn't matter much, I LOVE this film. Depressing, sure, but that doesn't mean it can't be watched multiple times (I did watch The Road only once though, but I'm totally open to watching it again).

Viggo Mortensen is one my favorite American actors working today (looking forward to seeing The Two Faces of January this weekend :cool:) - though when I look at his filmography since the year 2000, other than the LOTR trilogy and Cronenberg's films (A History of Violence, Eastern Promises, A Dangerous Method), I've only seen him in Appaloosa, On the Road and The Road :emb: (hey, he was in films with almost similar titles :)). But those few films were enough to tell that I think Viggo's great.

This will make a fine addition to any collection. Since Icon is a small editor not used to having steelbooks done (other than the one and only Drive UK steelbook :D), I hope they'll churn out the extra money and ask for gloss. Btw, for people wondering : this will only have English subtitles for the hard of hearing :(.

Reactions: hayemaker
I'm glad to see Icon back in the game, I really hope they release Transsiberian in the near future.

I was also interested to note that both "The Road" and "30 Days of Night" were Icon titles. They're certainly better than Studio Canal at selecting suitable artwork for their steelbook releases. Hopefully, we might now see a steelbook release for "Apocalypto", another Icon title, which was mooted some years ago but never materialized.

As regards, "The Road", I saw it at the cinema when it was first released and found it to be a bleak but powerful piece of storytelling. I also found it far superior to the similarly themed "The Book of Eli". I bought the standard blu-ray a couple of years ago but have yet to play it because I would need to be in a particular frame of mind to watch it. That said, there will undoubtedly be a time when I feel the need to watch this again so I will probably add this one to my collection.

Last edited:
As good a film that is I would be buying a movie that I just can't see me ever watching it again.

I am sure some will enjoy and all the best to them, I have to say that though the art looks nice, I think that a darker look would have worked better.

Saw this a couple weeks back for the first time and really really enjoyed it. Hopefully this won't be too limited. Anyone thinking of maybe a group buy or do you think we probably won't have any issues getting one?

Absolutely stunning. I love white SteelBooks (I'm assuming this will stay this off-white colour since silver snow would look silly). :drool:

Viggo is one of my favorite actors and he did such a great job be the father in this movie. Kind of reminds me of Joel from the last of us but a tad different. I would love for a great release of eastern promises (kimchi etc) I have the Canada steel but need..more.. :p

I will be up and ready to hit the preorder button for this lol. I just hope that zavvi will start sending steels in little boxes again.