Thor (Blu-ray SteelBook) (HMV Exclusive) [UK]

RobertJoseph17

Premium Supporter
Jan 22, 2011
Illinois, United States
Release date: September 26, 2011
Purchase link: HMV.com (Sold-out)

BSP2292.JPG

Actual pictures: (Thanks to MrFurious and Elena)
Thor.jpg

Thor2.jpg

Thor3.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
That's a bargain! ... Well looks like there's 10 people out there who would overpaid in which case. :LOL:

..I think CEX had caught on how much it's worth since it's £8 days in 2016. It's out of stock and priced at £35 on site atm.

Yeah, I paid £8 at CEX for a copy a few years back

LOL, you bought not 1 but 2 and you considered them not so special :rofl:

I only intended to buy one. I got the second one by a mistake. And this was when it was released, so I didn't think much of it. Lol, you sure give me a hard time, well, I'll think twice before ever posting again.

Sorry if it's been mentioned, but how many did they make in total? I got two of them, never knew it was popular. How come? Aren't there many other Thor steelbooks?

I think like most things it's subjective and people will have different opinions why it is. For me it's simplistic but elegant design. Debossed and gloss finish. For a WWA release of a steelbook for that time (2011) equaled the quality of Blufans (minus slip and extra bits). IMHO it was only later when the 2015 official Blufans version came out, could beat this release! Can't imagine what that would go for now!! :wow: £££$$$ I think there was a lot more prints of this version than the Blufans but given it was sold to a mainstream purchasing audience as supposed to the dedicated steelbook collectors, there's probably a LOT of opened (and hence rough) versions out there. So a sealed one is probably a lot more rare.

Most WWA releases are just lazy artwork now and stingy on the finishes due to cost of production I imagine. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Reactions: Alistair G and crs
I think like most things it's subjective and people will have different opinions why it is. For me it's simplistic but elegant design. Embossed and gloss finish. For a WWA release of a steelbook for that time (2011) equaled the quality of Blufans (minus slip and extra bits). IMHO it was only later when the 2015 official Blufans version came out, could beat this release! Can't imagine what that would go for now!! :wow: £££$$$ I think there was a lot more prints of this version than the Blufans but given it was sold to a mainstream purchasing audience as supposed to the dedicated steelbook collectors, there's probably a LOT of opened (and hence rough) versions out there. So a sealed one is probably a lot more rare.

Most WWA releases are just lazy artwork now and stingy on the finishes due to cost of production I imagine. :rolleyes:

Thanks for the explanation. Doesn't look like full gloss though, only on the Thor figure... or he's more glossy than the rest.

Apart from the embossing, I still think it's a bit plain, there were other steelbooks back then that are more impressive, but that's just my opinion...

Thanks for the explanation. Doesn't look like full gloss though, only on the Thor figure... or he's more glossy than the rest.

Apart from the embossing, I still think it's a bit plain, there were other steelbooks back then that are more impressive, but that's just my opinion...

Oh yeah. Had to have a look at mine again. From memory I thought the back was gloss but it is more of a shiny matte finish.

It is plain (in terms of artwork) and true there are probably other WWA titles which have more but if you're a collector and like this film, I'd like to think it's between this and the blufans. The Zavvi version is good and has more artwork but lacking the multi finish I think.

As someone who only owns the Blufans, the front of the HMV is definitely nicer.
But if I could only have one, the gorgeous red lenticular and back of the Blufans make it the winner for me, personally.

VERY different steels! When this was made the materials were different and the alloy used was MUCH heavier. This steel in hand feels very different to the blufans. I have both and while I LOVE the Blufans, this feels far rarer as the materials used now are not even close to the original steelbooks. This along with a small bunch of original steels are in a league of their own, not because they get rarer by the day, but because they really don't make them like this now. For me this is THE only version of Thor to own and real collectors should fork out to own it.

PS I think the lenti on the blufans is one of the worst ever made, lenti on the Blufans Iron Man is in the same terrible catagory.

VERY different steels! When this was made the materials were different and the alloy used was MUCH heavier. This steel in hand feels very different to the blufans. I have both and while I LOVE the Blufans, this feels far rarer as the materials used now are not even close to the original steelbooks. This along with a small bunch of original steels are in a league of their own, not because they get rarer by the day, but because they really don't make them like this now. For me this is THE only version of Thor to own and real collectors should fork out to own it.

PS I think the lenti on the blufans is one of the worst ever made, lenti on the Blufans Iron Man is in the same terrible catagory.

to echo this,

steelbooks back in the days were higher gauge metal, thickness etc. you can notice this esp on debossing etc. where it seems deeper etc.

for new collectors, a way to know if you are not aware. FuturePaks still use the same amount of gauge as steelbook used to use.

With businesses, it was one of those things that once you perfect something you then try to make it cheaper. So using less metal equal less cost for them thus we ended up with the thinner steels. Not a deal breaker by any means as we all love those too, but the thicker ones were very nice. And its why some futurepaks when done nicely with embossing are out of this world.

And to think back in the day I walked into HMV and picked it up for £12.99 :wow:
Haha yes, me too. I missed out on the Iron Man Play steels @ 9.99 but still got them for a reasonable price afterwards. I remember Thor being on the shelves in HMV... had a lot of them just sitting there. I never used to like 'hard metal' cases as they were relesed few and far between, but once I got the taste iironically I would never look back as it's steels only now!

You've made me wanna check it out:thumbs: This era of steelbook definitely resonates with me, I just never managed to nab this one.

As for as lenticular, I think its just the all over red that does it for me rather than any specific quality.

to echo this,

steelbooks back in the days were higher gauge metal, thickness etc. you can notice this esp on debossing etc. where it seems deeper etc.

for new collectors, a way to know if you are not aware. FuturePaks still use the same amount of gauge as steelbook used to use.

With businesses, it was one of those things that once you perfect something you then try to make it cheaper. So using less metal equal less cost for them thus we ended up with the thinner steels. Not a deal breaker by any means as we all love those too, but the thicker ones were very nice. And its why some futurepaks when done nicely with embossing are out of this world.

I'm probably going to sound stupid again, but I had no idea about this. I did hold Thor in one hand and a 2-disc steelbook from recent times in the other, and they do have a slightly different weight. Thor also feels... sturdier? Very easy to wobble the new steelbook. I learn something new every day...

This and the CA:TFA steels HMV did are some of my faves.

Still holding out for a nice lenti re-release from someone(hate red and really dislike the Blufans lenti as well as not being a fan of magnets, which AFAIK are the only current lenti options for this movie in steel) but I’d still keep hold of this as I did with Cap when I managed to get last years kimchi lenti.
Would be another of only a handful of double dips(all Marvel movies come to think of it....)

You should not unseal them......when they are sealed you always have that picture in your head of a mint steelbook inside :happy:

WRONG! I don´t want to live just with imagination in my head but rather feel the actual thing naked in my hand and properly see the beauty of it :happy::happy::coffee:

And let´s not start the seal/unseal issue again lol, why you even said such an irrevelant thing to that auction? :LOL:

• Thanks
Reactions: rschiks
WRONG! I don´t want to live just with imagination in my head but rather feel the actual thing naked in my hand and properly see the beauty of it :happy::happy::coffee:

And let´s not start the seal/unseal issue again lol, why you even said such an irrevelant thing to that auction? :LOL:
:rofl:

You can also get items cheaper from eBay :D Ok, not that often, but sometimes.

I remember back in the day when i bought the amaray for Thor. A couple of days later i was browsing on the HMV website and i saw the steelbook (i only had one other steel at the time - Green Lantern... cough... cough) and i loved it.

I sold the amaray to a friend and bought the steel. I was afraid it would sell out so i asked my mrs to order it for me online whilst i was at work. Best decision i ever made. Its still one of my favs to this day.

Those were the good old days... beautiful HMV exclusives and good old play.com. £9.99 for Iron Man 1 & 2.