UK
Release date: February 22nd, 2016
Purchase link: Tombstone
Price: £14.99

11216733-3174352385790383.jpg

11216733-1054352387253978.jpg

11216733-1824352387103726.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I hope that's not the confirmed artwork - the guns don't line up properly and they look too long.

true. looks cheap. I love the film so hopefully art changes and it's long cut.

how about something like this ?

51UnH4VAIVL__SY355_.jpg

@C.C. 95 have you seen this thread ?

I liked the Vista series DVD cover...
View attachment 209833
... I guess I'm still going to have to hold onto this, because this is the only version with the directors cut…
Now that's more like it - a miles better front compared to our disappointing effort !
Thanks for the pic - a classic example of a good layout with just enough information and no crowding.

Tried and failed to match up the artist's impression of the guns with any of the 'real' handguns used in the film - real or not it's SO unnecessary to cut them in half with the title !
With an interest in guns from an early age and with a sneaking feeling that I've seen pics of guns like these somewhere I'm surprised I can't confirm the exact make and model . . .
Maybe someone else can ?

Last edited:
Reactions: C.C. 95
I'm ok with the art, there has never really been any good art for it over the years & I'm not really bothered about the extended version as it adds so little. There was a whole wave of movies extended at the time like this with about a few extra minutes that were barely noticeable (Armegeddon was the best), would be nice to have but in no way a show stopper.
A top Western of that actually convinced me to give the genre another chance and I found some awesome movies so I for one will be happy to buy it :)

Now that's more like it - a miles better front compared to our disappointing effort !
Thanks for the pic - a classic example of a good layout with just enough information and no crowding.

Tried and failed to match up the artist's impression of the guns with any of the 'real' handguns used in the film - real or not it's SO unnecessary to cut them in half with the title !
With an interest in guns from an early age and with a sneaking feeling that I've seen pics of guns like these somewhere I'm surprised I can't confirm the exact make and model . . .
Maybe someone else can ?

This is the closest I can find to the gun depicted - Dragoon Revolver

WL_OW_Dragoon_h1.jpg

• Helpful Post
Reactions: virkia
This is the closest I can find to the gun depicted - Dragoon Revolver

WL_OW_Dragoon_h1.jpg
Well spotted you - with the brass square-backed trigger-guard an' all :thumbs:
Even though this Colt "Dragoon" (1850s) looks to have certain characteristics of the gun on the front of the steel it might be just a tad too early for the 1880s setting . . .
I'm beginning to feel that the mock-up may be just an artist's impression with a combination of certain characteristics of famous handguns of the period (give or take 30 years) as none of the handguns used in the film (including the Colt "Single Action Army" or Colt "SAA" - and its "Quickdraw", "Artillery" and "Cavalry" models - the Colt "Buntline Special", Colt "Lightning", Colt "1878 Double Action", Remington "1875", Webley "British Bulldog", Smith & Wesson "New Model No.3") really look like the image of the handgun on the front of this steelbook.
Not that it really matters but looking at the image I got to thinking about Colonel Mortimer's handgun in "For a Few Dollars More" (when he attached the shoulder stock to one of his handguns for that famous between-the-eyes long shot) but that gun was one of those also seen in "Tombstone" - the Colt "Buntline Special" . . .
Anyway, many thanks for taking the time and trouble to reply and for those handsome pics :)

There IS plenty of space above and below the guns for a title so it's incomprehensible that it was placed smack bang in the middle cutting in half and screwing up the artwork and the back is just "sad" - fail, fail, fail (n):(

Last edited:
Reactions: GoDo
if you too young ... then any clips are spoilers cause the movie is just that BAD ass!

If you ever wondered why Val Kilmer was considered awesome ... has alot to do with TOMBSTONE!

Marshall White "Come on boys. We don't want any trouble in here. Not in any language".

Post scriptum: There are several translations/interpretations of the exchange in Latin between Doc Holliday and Johnny Ringo but my favourite is the following:-
DH: In vino veritas = in wine, there is truth / you get pissed and the truth comes out.
JR: Age quod agis = Do what you do / Do it then what you do best (drinking).
DH: Credat Judaeus apella, non ego = Apella the Jew may believe, not I / The average person may believe that (that drinking is what I do best) but I don't.
JR: Eventus stultorum magister = The teacher of fools is events / Fools learn from experience.
DH: In pace requiescat = In peace, let him rest / It's your funeral.

Latin plays a part in film (obviously more so in the horror genre as in "The Exorcist" and others) and correct me if I'm mistaken but this is the only Western in which Latin is spoken.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: C.C. 95
if you too young ... then any clips are spoilers cause the movie is just that BAD ass!

If you ever wondered why Val Kilmer was considered awesome ... has alot to do with TOMBSTONE!

And let's not forget Michael Biehn's Johnny Ringo. Great actor, sadly underused by Hollywood (although maybe that's no bad thing!), and his performance is up there with his Kyle Reese and Cpl Hicks.

Reactions: Wreck
It's zavvi guaranteed no directors cut, in-fact you'll find it's most likely the same EIV disc used just taken out of the amaray case and put in a steelbook lol, typical cheapness, love the film this n young guns my 2 fav westerns and the art is O.K. (Corral) :naughty: but no re-master, no directors cut, not worth the double dip for me, I begin to wonder if zavvi will ever learn, do they always have to be the bottom feeders while so many out there put out stellar steelbook packages and better discs within them.

It's zavvi guaranteed no directors cut, in-fact you'll find it's most likely the same EIV disc used just taken out of the amaray case and put in a steelbook lol, typical cheapness, love the film this n young guns my 2 fav westerns and the art is O.K. (Corral) :naughty: but no re-master, no directors cut, not worth the double dip for me, I begin to wonder if zavvi will ever learn, do they always have to be the bottom feeders while so many out there put out stellar steelbook packages and better discs within them.
They sell what the studio gives them. If it wasn't them, it would be another retailer. But Zavvi doesn't make them, or decide these things. Go tell Disney. Bitching about Zavvi's steelbooks is like telling your local movie theater to stop making bad movies. Makes zero sense.