Transformers: Age of Extinction (3D only Blu-ray SteelBook) (Entertainment Store Exclusive) [UK]

digitalbabe

Premium Supporter
Apr 12, 2009
USA
Our friends at The Entertainment Store are pleased to announce their latest exclusive Steelbook release: Transformers: Age of Extinction.

Does not include 2D disc

Release date: November 17, 2014
Price: £22.99
Pre-order link
Pre-orders will go live Friday 5th September.
Group Buy: Naughtius Maximus or Masterblaster or Hubmuswell
Notes: Limited to 2000 copies, Region Free
Audio/Subs:
DISC1
Audio: ENGLISH / FRENCH / ITALIAN / SPANISH

Subs: ENGLISH / FRENCH / NORWEGIAN / SWEDISH / DANISH / DUTCH / ITALIAN / SPANISH / DANISH / FINNISH

DISC2
Audio:
ENGLISH (Possibly more)

Subs: ENGLISH / FRENCH / NORWEGIAN / SWEDISH / DANISH / DUTCH / ITALIAN / SPANISH / DANISH / FINNISH / GERMAN / JAPANESE

Artwork and finish details:
• Matt finish with spot gloss on Optimus Prime / Grimlock and title treatment
• Embossed title treatment

01.jpg

02.jpg hd03.jpg
hd01.jpg
hd02.jpg

In the meantime, our full range of Steelbooks is available here:http://www.play.com/stores/EntertainmentStore/Steelbooks

The Entertainment Store has been trading on RakutenPlay.comandeBayMarketplaces since 2013 and is proud to retail only authentic and high quality Entertainment goods, delivered to customers direct from the Studio and Publishers.

Last edited:
Quite apart from breaking the backward compatability code, I don't understand the logic in the UK being the only market that gets a 3D version that doesn't have 2D also, understand even less why they would go on to include a 2D bonus disc having made a particular point of deleting the film in 2D.

Quite apart from breaking the backward compatability code, I don't understand the logic in the UK being the only market that gets a 3D version that doesn't have 2D also, understand even less why they would go on to include a 2D bonus disc having made a particular point of deleting the film in 2D.
The "logic" from paramount is that you will also buy the other non-exclusive artwork steelbook and get the 2D disc and not feel that you have been forced to get duplicate discs by buying both steelbooks.

Still surprised that they didn't do a 2d/3d disc. Think I have that on an underworld blu, and I thought it was really good in 3d. Anyway good news that it has the imax on it, bad news that I am still waiting for mine to arrive.

Now I am mulling where to cancel my german dinobot edition, my December pre order list -

Shrek
How to train your dragon
German star trek tng s7
Still 5 disneys due, will they all arrive before the years end?

The "logic" from paramount is that you will also buy the other non-exclusive artwork steelbook and get the 2D disc and not feel that you have been forced to get duplicate discs by buying both steelbooks.

Yes, that may be what they hope for, but unless seriously thick, anyone is going to feel duped into buying duplicate discs etc. don't you think?

But another point I was trying to make is: why include one 2D disc, but not the other in the UK only?
Is it because we're seen as MUGS?

Also, in the broader picture, can you imagine the wider public buying two or three different versions of every film should this practice become widespread? I kind of doubt it myself.

Last edited:
  • Helpful Post
Reactions: paulboland
Looks fantastic. Is it confirmed that the Blufans steelbook has the identical finishing touches? (spot gloss on the front and debossed title)

Its more to do with Entertainment Store
The only 3D release of Transformers Age of Extinction in the World not to include 2D Disc of the film is the Entertainment Store exclusive steelbook

All other 3D releases of Transformers Age of Extinction include the 2D Disc of the film with your purchase of a 3D Blu-ray release

The Standard 3D release of Transformers Age of Extinction in the UK includes a 2D Blu-ray of the film
All other releases outside of the UK of Transformers Age of Extinction 3D Steelbooks also include 2D Blu ray of the film

So in simple terms
The only 3D release in the world of Transformers Age of Extinction not to include a 2D Disc of the Film is Transformers Age of Extinction Entertainment Store exclusive steelbook

As far as I'm concerned Entertainment Store are responsible to letting this happen as they could of told Paramount UK they must include a 2D disc of the film as it is with the standard 3D release

Last edited:
Reactions: JackRegan
Really....!

Yeah pretty sure Entertainment Store have the power to dictate what a small company like Paramount chooses to do....

The UK Standard 3D release includes a 2D disc of the film
So it was not Paramount UK deciding all 3D UK releases would be 3D only it was only Entertainment Store agreeing to it when they could have said no to this

The Same 3D Steelbook with same artwork is available in other countries from Paramount and all of them include the 2D disc of the film for playback on non 3D TV and standard Blu-ray Player

Entertainment Store are the ones letting Paramount UK do this
This release is a break away from the standard of all 3D releases to include a 2D version of the film

All Entertainment Store had to say was we will not be part of this break away from an agreed standard

Last edited:
So here's the bad ... the background - It's not white...

The interior artwork looks very dull and washed out compared to the mockup

No 2d disc.. blah blah bl..

The good

Spot gloss on op/grimlock :drool:

The Movie - 3D was above par :thumbs: Imax scenes looked amazing :woot: The sound was amazing :oohyeah: Enjoyed this spectacle of a movie for what it was immensely.

The steelbook sits very nicely with the previous 3, although it is the only 1 out of the 4 Uk steelbooks not to have been embossed. The debossing is cool though and it doesn't cut through the image like an embossed border would have here, so probably the best choice. However the debossing has weakened the steel on mine as it looks all pushed in around that area and flexes like some heavily embossed steelbooks I own.

Yes for double the price but of course with the 2D disc and goodies.

it's only approximately double the price for those in the UK. If I want this ES version, it would cost me about $55 to get it from the group buy.

and comparing the price was not the point of my question anyway.

I know this may sound a silly question, but I've never tried and can't right now:

If you have a 3D TV and player, but tell it to down convert 3D->2D, is the image as good/better/worse than if just watching a 2D disc?

I think that made sense...