paulboland

Contributor Steels/Arrow
Contributor
Premium Supporter
Sep 10, 2012
Navan/Ireland
Release date: November 2, 2020
Purchase links: Amazon UK - Zavvi - WB Shop - HMV
Price: £30.00 (Amazon) - £29.99 (Zavvi - WB Shop - HMV)

12691550-1724798474262715.jpg

12691550-1204798474289646.jpg
12691550-1634798474304481.jpg
12691550-2594798474244898.jpg
12691550-4894798474276332.jpg
12691550-6354798474320297.jpg
12691550-7014798474348932.jpg
12691550-3384798474334955.jpg

Last edited:
:rofl:
Well thats easy to explain why, cause its ****. As interesting as this masterpiece

Yep, Lyne crowd-funded this 607-minute film of white paint drying on a brick wall and submitted to British Board of Film Classification. The film was given a U rating. Poor B*stards that had to sit through this just like I sat through L'Apartment, felt like 607 minutes of frustration.

I know back in the days, in the USA, I used to classify CULT films (not all) as films that have well known actors (again, not all are like this) that goes under the radar across movie go'ers esp the mainstream. Then it hits home video ... more people see it, talk about it, following and viewership grows ... During this growing time it gets more widely acclaimed as a cult film. As its like a cult phenomenon that it grew legs and started to become popular. Some tell tell signs are merchandise then comes about after X time because the popularity has grown to support it where as said merch didnt exist before unlike big blockbuster movies where merch is either out before theatrical release, during, or really shortly after.

I'm old enough to remember being the main movie goer in my group of friends that I had to recommend this film to family and friends who knew nothing of it at the time. Everyone enjoyed it. Has it aged well? That can be debated.

I think what can make some people not consider a film cult is when the popularity of the film grows so big that they think its just another hollywood movie. It doesnt take away the history, and shouldnt no longer let the film enjoy their cult status just because it did well enough to become a big time movie so to speak. They deserve both. Drive is not quite yet a "big time movie" but its cult following is growing, tho there is normal masses that would like V much better then Drive as I read a lot of casual movie go'ers who crap on Drive as "there is hardly any talking". Pulp Fiction is still a cult classic, but with Tarantino's popularity and it being one of if not the best overall movies in his library, some new folks find it hard to say its cult ... its just Tarantino.

V was cult for a long while in the USA ... due to its representation in the world (the mask) used more at protests then say Halloween ... I'd say its cult. However in the movie nerd world, it can feel more like just another bigger than norm catalog title in the vast library that is Warner at times.

Still deserves its due, whether that is a good movie,or a cult classic to each their own.

And yes I know that there is a whole other class of Cult films that star B-list actors, Indy directors, and/or actors first roles before stardom. While not fitting all those, Boondock Saints quickly comes to mind as it was a very unknown film and was very fun to show to people unbeknownst. I've had some of the same joys over the years here being initiated into a lot of UK films I had no clue of. Same could be said of Asian films, like Oldboy and Battle Royale.

I know back in the days, in the USA, I used to classify CULT films (not all) as films that have well known actors (again, not all are like this) that goes under the radar across movie go'ers esp the mainstream. Then it hits home video ... more people see it, talk about it, following and viewership grows ... During this growing time it gets more widely acclaimed as a cult film. As its like a cult phenomenon that it grew legs and started to become popular. Some tell tell signs are merchandise then comes about after X time because the popularity has grown to support it where as said merch didnt exist before unlike big blockbuster movies where merch is either out before theatrical release, during, or really shortly after.

I'm old enough to remember being the main movie goer in my group of friends that I had to recommend this film to family and friends who knew nothing of it at the time. Everyone enjoyed it. Has it aged well? That can be debated.

I think what can make some people not consider a film cult is when the popularity of the film grows so big that they think its just another hollywood movie. It doesnt take away the history, and shouldnt no longer let the film enjoy their cult status just because it did well enough to become a big time movie so to speak. They deserve both. Drive is not quite yet a "big time movie" but its cult following is growing, tho there is normal masses that would like V much better then Drive as I read a lot of casual movie go'ers who crap on Drive as "there is hardly any talking". Pulp Fiction is still a cult classic, but with Tarantino's popularity and it being one of if not the best overall movies in his library, some new folks find it hard to say its cult ... its just Tarantino.

V was cult for a long while in the USA ... due to its representation in the world (the mask) used more at protests then say Halloween ... I'd say its cult. However in the movie nerd world, it can feel more like just another bigger than norm catalog title in the vast library that is Warner at times.

Still deserves its due, whether that is a good movie,or a cult classic to each their own.

And yes I know that there is a whole other class of Cult films that star B-list actors, Indy directors, and/or actors first roles before stardom. While not fitting all those, Boondock Saints quickly comes to mind as it was a very unknown film and was very fun to show to people unbeknownst. I've had some of the same joys over the years here being initiated into a lot of UK films I had no clue of. Same could be said of Asian films, like Oldboy and Battle Royale.

it’s certainly a mix of 3 ways IMO to become a cult movie. The 2 you Mention - Unknown actors etc, goes under the radar and then picks up on home release etc Sometimes years later is rediscovered by many. and then the indie films (Actor/ director wise) thats got love from the start But just grows and grows over the years and then there’s the other way I’ve previously mentioned a few pages back which is like this film. Does well financially and critically to start with, big names, budget etc but just keeps growing and growing but not in a marvel or DC way with oversaturated merchandise. in Vs case it’s just the mask for merch and then on top everything the film stands for. It’s the perfect ingredients for an already big film to keep growing. The mask alone (a bit like Halloween’s Micheal Myers mask but like you say V is not necessarily for Halloween purposes) has made it cult. But the setting in London helped too and how it’s turned into this Nazi esque country where people are silenced for being themselves.

Of course this is all thanks to Alan Moore however the film just got it right with casting, Acting, visuals, cinematography and properly using its source material

What’s great about cult films is they don’t have to be a particular genre. Some could argue there’s more horror cult films or even indie films with cult status but it’s simply just a mix. And yeah, drive, pulp fiction, oldboy, battle royale are certainly all cult. some British films that I consider cult movies are dead mans shoes, this is England, kill list etc.

As for Tarantino, I think he’s just become a cult director that’s mainstream. If that makes sense lol

Nice to see something other than V taking up the front for a change... got enough steels with him on lol.
I think this is key to ToC really. They do something a bit different and have certainly done that here, which I applaud them for. I expected something a bit nicer but I certainly appreciate that they do take this approach. You are right too, 'V' doesn't need to be the feature all the time.
I like the ToC range collectively so far, and as usual this will no doubt look better in hand.

Reactions: Noodles and jasong