paulboland

Contributor Steels/Arrow
Contributor
Premium Supporter
Sep 10, 2012
Navan/Ireland
Release date: January 21, 2019
Purchase links: Arrow Films - Amazon UK - Zavvi - HMV
Price: £25.00 (Arrow) - £24.99 (Amazon - Zavvi - HMV)
Notes: 3 Discs (Theatrical cut (135:06) - US TV cut (176:01) - Ulysses cut (177:12)

ef02ad10-6882-43c5-bc67-b218c0f5fb9b.jpg

Last edited:
Trust my pics above ;)
Well, I hope so. Ordered from Amazon - and I hope to not be cursing the sky that I did not order from Diabolik.:LOL:
*UPDATE:
From DVDBeaver:
"This was initially announced by Arrow as a two-disc package with the three cuts (theatrical, TV and Ulysses) wit the latter two 'extended' versions being seamlessly branched on the second Blu-ray. The release was delayed and re-announced as a three disc set with each cut getting their own Blu-ray. Unfortunately, Amazon have not updated it as such and their listing and package image still show it to be two-disc. I own it and can assure you that it is indeed 3 Blu-rays."

Last edited:
Received yesterday from Amazon... another quality edition from Arrow! :notworthy:

I usually go with Zavvi for these sets as the 10% off makes it cheaper, but I decided to pay that little bit extra and go with Amazon instead to avoid damage (which I tend to get from Zavvi). Turns out it made no difference, as my Amazon order also came slightly damaged. :angry:

Oh well, I managed to get it for £18 thanks to the £5 they gifted me for cancelling my Zatoichi order, so I can't really complain. :D

Reactions: C.C. 95
Received yesterday from Amazon... another quality edition from Arrow! :notworthy:

I usually go with Zavvi for these sets as the 10% off makes it cheaper, but I decided to pay that little bit extra and go with Amazon instead to avoid damage (which I tend to get from Zavvi). Turns out it made no difference, as my Amazon order also came slightly damaged. :angry:

Oh well, I managed to get it for £18 thanks to the £5 they gifted me for cancelling my Zatoichi order, so I can't really complain. :D
The Criterion Zatoichi box set? Wait for the 50% off biannual sale for that box set!

The Criterion Zatoichi box set? Wait for the 50% off biannual sale for that box set!
It was recently on sale through Amazon for around £20 mate -- due to a region coding issue with disc 6 (it was region A rather than region B). I placed an order at both Amazon UK and Amazon Spain, but my UK order got cancelled... thankfully they honoured the Spain one though and Criterion even issued a replacement for the incorrect disc. Bargain of the year! :)

It was recently on sale through Amazon for around £20 mate -- due to a region coding issue with disc 6 (it was region A rather than region B). I placed an order at both Amazon UK and Amazon Spain, but my UK order got cancelled... thankfully they honoured the Spain one though and Criterion even issued a replacement for the incorrect disc. Bargain of the year! :)
Wow. You never see that at a price like that. It must've been some kind of error! That box lists for $160!

Wow. You never see that at a price like that. It must've been some kind of error! That box lists for $160!
Yup, I'd always wanted to import it from the US, but the price put me off. It's literally only just got a UK release, and like I said... they messed up the region coding, so I'm assuming Amazon sold it that low to just get rid of the stock.

Reactions: C.C. 95
Turns out I must've seen seen the Ulysses cut before, because I just got done watching it and there wasn't anything extra that I don't remember seeing before. Still such a fun movie anyway... the 3 hour runtime flew by!

I'll compare it to my laserdisc when it arrives and report back if they are the same!
The laserdisc was the theatrical cut. Ulysses cut is added footage from TV version that added 40 mins.
Ulysses version was only available on torrent sites, and TheOriginalTrilogy had a link where you could buy the custom DVD.
For all intents and purposes- this new edition from Arrow made a bootleg cut into a bone fide release.
(Now let's see them do an official Blu ray release of Harmy's Star Wars Original Trilogy restoration!)

Last edited:
Ok as regards Star Wars I have the deluxe CAV laserdisc box set from 1995 and it plays great on my new Sony OLED. Remarkable quality for a 23 year old pressing....

Ok as regards Star Wars I have the deluxe CAV laserdisc box set from 1995 and it plays great on my new Sony OLED. Remarkable quality for a 23 year old pressing....
Harmy's STAR WARS TRILOGY Despecialized is an edition where he meticulously over years put back the original Star Wars Trilogy to their Original theatrical release versions. It's pretty amazing. And full HD.
https://www.vox.com/2015/1/30/7952859/despecialized-edition-download
Pretty cool to have the LDs, though.

I'll well aware of that one but the original version is never going to happen on HD. George Lucas has made that clear and that was part of the deal when Disney overpaid for the franchise. Bet they are regretting it now! I'm just so glad I look after my laserdiscs. So many titles I have that are now no longer available or have been cut to bits for blu-ray.

I'll well aware of that one but the original version is never going to happen on HD. George Lucas has made that clear and that was part of the deal when Disney overpaid for the franchise. Bet they are regretting it now! I'm just so glad I look after my laserdiscs. So many titles I have that are now no longer available or have been cut to bits for blu-ray.
Oh sure. I keep a bunch of my old LDs, because some have editions that never went to blu ray or DVD in their proper cut.
(Coppola famously recut and remixed One From The Heart and The Outsiders for DVD and Blu ray).
I'm sure Disney has team of experts looking for loopholes in their Lucas contract. They KNOW that rereleasing the OG Trilogy would make them more money than God.:LOL:
But, I can attest to the brilliance of the Harmy editions. They are so close to the original theatrical editions that I know longer care about Disney releasing the OGs.

Maybe behind the scenes Disney are hoping to release the Harmy editions or to use them as reference to make a new master. The original negs do exist in private hands. Lucas has been trying to hunt them down to destroy those negs. Yep petty beyond belief.
There is no problems in doing alternative effects etc as long as the original is there to enjoy as is done on the Original Star Trek blu-ray or the ongoing Classic Dr Who blu-rays. That way everyone is happy from purists to new fans.

Maybe behind the scenes Disney are hoping to release the Harmy editions or to use them as reference to make a new master. The original negs do exist in private hands. Lucas has been trying to hunt them down to destroy those negs. Yep petty beyond belief.
There is no problems in doing alternative effects etc as long as the original is there to enjoy as is done on the Original Star Trek blu-ray or the ongoing Classic Dr Who blu-rays. That way everyone is happy from purists to new fans.
In order to created the special editions - all the original films had to be scanned into a hard drive. I have zero doubt, that beyind the negatives, the original footage is alive and well in 1s and 0s.
I think GL lied when he said "that footage doesn't exist anymore" - because he simply wanted people to stop asking the question.
I have no doubt that it exists.
(And this is totally aside from the fact that there are probably theatrical prints, interpositives and answer prints hiding around the world waiting to be discovered).

Waterworld UK Arrow Video Update Facebook

Attention UK fans! Our waterworld set is now sold out via the Arrow Store!
If you’re still keen to grab a copy of the UK edition, do try to order yours to avoid missing out...

Stock is still available from Amazon UK and Zavvi
When Amazon and Zavvi sell out their remaining stock it will be third part sellers only

Is arrow sold out of this the idiots they are who never respond to my emails. I pre ordered this from day one on arrow site,and if you remember guys another edition or two ago most of us had to update our payments which was no fault of our own but whoever they use.
I had to do same with this one but as it was delayed and it was only when I seen people get there copies I wondered what's going on.
I check and for a second time it was asking to update so I did,I await dispatch and checked again and order was canceled, there was no emails from them to say I needed to update payment,anywhere else I don't have payment issues and there was no mention of order canceled.
This was in stock when I last updated and updated again and I pre ordered from day one yet I still not got what I ordered from them.
I have sent many emails and not one response,what are arrow playing at?