paulboland

Contributor Steels/Arrow
Contributor
Premium Supporter
Sep 10, 2012
Navan/Ireland
Release date: January 21, 2019
Purchase links: Arrow Films - Amazon UK - Zavvi - HMV
Price: £25.00 (Arrow) - £24.99 (Amazon - Zavvi - HMV)
Notes: 3 Discs (Theatrical cut (135:06) - US TV cut (176:01) - Ulysses cut (177:12)

ef02ad10-6882-43c5-bc67-b218c0f5fb9b.jpg

Last edited:
TWO-DISC LIMITED EDITION CONTENTS

• New restoration from a 4K scan of the original negative by Arrow Films, presenting the film in three cuts
  • Original 5.1 DTS-HD Master Audio and 2.0 stereo audio options
  • Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing
  • Six collector’s postcards
  • Double-sided fold-out poster
  • Limited edition 60-page perfect-bound book featuring new writing on the film by David J. Moore and Daniel Griffith, archival articles and original reviews
  • Reversible sleeve featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by Paul Shipper
DISC ONE – THE THEATRICAL CUT

• High Definition Blu-ray (1080p) presentation of the original theatrical cut
  • Maelstrom: The Odyssey of Waterworld, an all-new, feature-length making-of documentary including extensive cast and crew interviews and behind the scenes footage
  • Original archival featurette capturing the film's production
  • Global Warnings, film critic Glenn Kenny explores the subgenre of ecologically aware Hollywood blockbusters
  • Production and promotional stills gallery
  • Visual effects stills gallery
  • Original trailers and TV spots
DISC TWO – THE EXTENDED CUTS [LIMITED EDITION EXCLUSIVE]

• High Definition Blu-ray (1080p) presentation of the extended US TV cut, which runs over 40 minutes longer than the theatrical cut
  • High Definition Blu-ray (1080p) presentation of the extended European “Ulysses” cut, which includes censored shots and dialogue

• Informative
Reactions: Noodles
thanks, @paulboland :thumbs: genuinely pleased to see this! yes, it has its flaws, but it's a much better film than the stories on its release would have made you believe. i've been holding off a blu ray purchase for ages hoping for a special edition and remaster, and the wait has paid off! :woot:

giphy.gif

was going to ask if there's a steelbook as well, but less bothered now i have seen that it's only this limited edition that has the extended cut.

also available on zavvi here for £24.99. just pre-ordered, code currently working. :thumbs:

Amazon price will drop before release date

HMV will be also selling this but it's not listed yet on their website

I've never understood the hate for this film... it's basically Mad Max on water, and with better actors too (IMO). Genuinely one of my favourites, so I can't express how I excited I am to see it getting the Limited Edition treatment by Arrow... obviously, count me in! :D

i've been holding off a blu ray purchase for ages hoping for a special edition and remaster, and the wait has paid off! :woot:
I was doing the same until a month ago when I finally got sick of waiting and picked up the amaray, so I should've seen this release coming, since that always happens to me! :facepalm:

I was doing the same until a month ago when I finally got sick of waiting and picked up the amaray, so I should've seen this release coming, since that always happens to me! :facepalm:

I did the same thing. About 10 months ago, I finally gave in and bought the Blu--ray because I found it in a bin for $10 with the Universal 100th Anniversary gatefold slipcover. I just re-watched the film a couple months back and it's still so good. Yeah, there's a lot of unanswered questions (where the hell are all the cigarettes coming from in a flooded world?), but it's better than it gets credit for. Can't wait for this release! And that Paul Shipper artwork is gorgeous!! :drool:

...And now I need someone to make special limited editions of Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves and The Postman.

I've never actually seen the extended cut by the way... is that considered the best?
I did the same thing. About 10 months ago, I finally gave in and bought the Blu--ray because I found it in a bin for $10 with the Universal 100th Anniversary gatefold slipcover. I just re-watched the film a couple months back and it's still so good. Yeah, there's a lot of unanswered questions (where the hell are all the cigarettes coming from in a flooded world?), but it's better than it gets credit for. Can't wait for this release! And that Paul Shipper artwork is gorgeous!! :drool:

...And now I need someone to make special limited editions of Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves and The Postman.
I've honestly never bothered to read what people's issues are with the film, so I can't say I'd realised certain things go unanswered... I have too much fun with it to notice that stuff lol. To tell you the truth, I didn't even realise it was considered a bad film until about 10 years ago when I mentioned it in a convo with some people, who absolutely slaughtered me for saying it was a great film. :blackeye:

But anyhoo... I'd totally be down for similar editions of Prince of a Thieves and The Postman, although I haven't actually seen the latter due to not being able to source a HD copy -- I literally just did a search (first time in a while) and realised it finally got a Blu-ray release over here only last year! Guess I'll finally get around to watching it now. :D

• Thanks
Reactions: tridon
I've never actually seen the extended cut by the way... is that considered the best?

I've honestly never bothered to read what people's issues are with the film, so I can't say I'd realised certain things go unanswered... I have too much fun with it to notice that stuff lol. To tell you the truth, I didn't even realise it was considered a bad film until about 10 years ago when I mentioned it in a convo with some people, who absolutely slaughtered me for saying it was a great film. :blackeye:

But anyhoo... I'd totally be down for similar editions of Prince of a Thieves and The Postman, although I haven't actually seen the latter due to not being able to source a HD copy -- I literally just did a search (first time in a while) and realised it finally got a Blu-ray release over here only last year! Guess I'll finally get around to watching it now. :D

I’ve heard nothing but complaints regarding Waterworld since the film’s release, but I’ve never understood it. The film is epic to me and it’s aged SO well! Costner was such a great action hero during the 90s. Would’ve been cool to see him as a superhero back then.

And The Postman is another great epic. Kinda like Waterworld on land in a lot of ways. Costner kicks butt in it and I greatly enjoyed seeing Tom Petty in it. Unfortunately both that and Robin Hood are Warner releases, so not sure if Arrow could ever release them (MAYBE Shout Factory on this side of the pond).

I’ve heard nothing but complaints regarding Waterworld since the film’s release, but I’ve never understood it. The film is epic to me and it’s aged SO well! Costner was such a great action hero during the 90s. Would’ve been cool to see him as a superhero back then.

And The Postman is another great epic. Kinda like Waterworld on land in a lot of ways. Costner kicks butt in it and I greatly enjoyed seeing Tom Petty in it. Unfortunately both that and Robin Hood are Warner releases, so not sure if Arrow could ever release them (MAYBE Shout Factory on this side of the pond).
I didn't grow up around many people who were as interested in slightly older films as I was, so up until 10 years ago, the only person I discussed the film with was my dad, who also loves it (he actually saw it in cinemas). But yeah, Costner is such an underrated actor and had some great roles back in the day. I'm really looking forward to finally checking out The Postman anyway... from what I've seen, it definitely looks like my kind of film!

• Thanks
Reactions: tridon
This is a surprise. Didn’t think this would ever the special box treatment . I m intrigued as it was a guilty pleasure. What will they think of next!

I dont think I have seen any extended cut of this film....... which is good because I can't wait to get this and watch them. Love this film.

If the extended is the one with her ( o Y o ) ............... then yes, on my German steel. IF not, idk....

That scene was in the movie when I saw it at the theatre when it was released. Was it cut from home releases?
I've only seen the movie in the theatre.