paulboland

Contributor Steels/Arrow
Contributor
Premium Supporter
Sep 10, 2012
Navan/Ireland
Release date: January 21, 2019
Purchase links: Arrow Films - Amazon UK - Zavvi - HMV
Price: £25.00 (Arrow) - £24.99 (Amazon - Zavvi - HMV)
Notes: 3 Discs (Theatrical cut (135:06) - US TV cut (176:01) - Ulysses cut (177:12)

ef02ad10-6882-43c5-bc67-b218c0f5fb9b.jpg

Last edited:
I’ve heard nothing but complaints regarding Waterworld since the film’s release, but I’ve never understood it. The film is epic to me and it’s aged SO well! Costner was such a great action hero during the 90s. Would’ve been cool to see him as a superhero back then.

And The Postman is another great epic. Kinda like Waterworld on land in a lot of ways. Costner kicks butt in it and I greatly enjoyed seeing Tom Petty in it. Unfortunately both that and Robin Hood are Warner releases, so not sure if Arrow could ever release them (MAYBE Shout Factory on this side of the pond).

Here's what I remember about the production.

First Robin Hood: Prince Of Thieves (1991) The film was directed by Kevin Reynolds who was friends with Costner. There were problems on the set (because of the accent perhaps) and reports were that Costner took over the film at some point either in the editing room or earlier, having removed Reynolds. They had a falling out.

So then comes Waterworld and Kevin Reynolds is back again as the director. This time they won't have the problems they had on Robin Hood. Except, well they did. Again Costner doesn't like the way things are going and wants things done his way (remember Costner won Best Director and Dances With Wolves won Best Picture at the Academy Awards), causing massive budget overruns, until Reynolds finally quits (or Costner has him removed again, I don't remember which) and takes over directing himself or for reshoots, as well as editing.

And back then like today, when egos take over and things go bad, everything is reported in the media. So the backlash had to do with how this was the most expensive movie ever made up to that time (until Titanic just 2 years later) and people were probably expecting another Dances With Wolves and instead got "Kevin's Gate" or "Fishtar" as the trade papers were calling it. And you know the media loves to build the stars up and then tear them down.

After rumors got out that director Kevin Reynolds and Kevin Costner had a huge squabble over the film, resulting in Reynolds walking off the project and left Costner to finish it, Reynolds was quoted as saying that "Kevin should only star in movies he directs. That way he can work with his favorite actor and favorite director".

The trades were reporting on how the movie could never possibly make back the budget and that was before the movie was ever released. Made for $175,000,000 it only brought in $88,246,220 in the U.S. The Worldwide Gross: $264,218,220. They say now that with home video sales Waterworld eventually made a profit of $8 million. I don't know when that figure was reported so it could be more now.

Interesting Fact:
Seventeen years after this movie was released Kevin Costner worked with Kevin Reynolds on Hatfields & McCoys (2012).

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: tridon
I dont think I have seen any extended cut of this film....... which is good because I can't wait to get this and watch them. Love this film.
Now that you mention it, I'm not sure if I have either.

Question to those in the know... which do people actually consider the better cut?

Here's what I remember about the production.

First Robin Hood: Prince Of Thieves (1991) The film was directed by Kevin Reynolds who was friends with Costner. There were problems on the set (because of the accent perhaps) and reports were that Costner took over the film at some point either in the editing room or earlier, having removed Reynolds. They had a falling out.

So then comes Waterworld and Kevin Reynolds is back again as the director. This time they won't have the problems they had on Robin Hood. Except, well they did. Again Costner doesn't like the way things are going and wants things done his way (remember Costner won Best Director and Dances With Wolves won Best Picture at the Academy Awards), causing massive budget overruns, until Reynolds finally quits (or Costner has him removed again, I don't remember which) and takes over directing himself or for reshoots, as well as editing.

And back then like today, when egos take over and things go bad, everything is reported in the media. So the backlash had to do with how this was the most expensive movie ever made up to that time (until Titanic just 2 years later) and people were probably expecting another Dances With Wolves and instead got "Kevin's Gate or "Fishtar" as the trade papers were calling it. And you know the media love to build the stars up and then tear them down.

After rumors got out that director Kevin Reynolds and Kevin Costner had a huge squabble over the film, resulting in Reynolds walking off the project and left Costner to finish it, Reynolds was quoted as saying that "Kevin should only star in movies he directs. That way he can work with his favorite actor and favorite director".

The trades were reporting on how the movie could never possibly make back the budget and that was before the movie was ever released. Made for $175,000,000 it only brought in $88,246,220 in the U.S. The Worldwide Gross: $264,218,220. They say now that with home video sales Waterworld eventually made a profit of $8 million. I don't know when that figure was reported so it be more now.

Interesting Fact:
Seventeen years after this movie was released Kevin Costner worked with Kevin Reynolds on Hatfields & McCoys (2012).

Wow, that's amazing. I never really paid attention to celebrity gossip back then, so this is very, very interesting. I never realized that there was so much drama around both sets. I wonder how things went on the set of Hatfields & McCoys in 2012? I feel like if Costner had a major ego back then, it's definitely simmered now in his later years... but who knows? There could still be bad blood between them.

I recently read that Danny Elfman had a horrible time with Sam Raimi during Spider-Man 2 and vowed to never work with him again... then they patched things up for Oz The Great and Powerful, so I guess anything is possible.

• Thanks
Reactions: Stygian
I've never actually seen the extended cut by the way... is that considered the best?

I've honestly never bothered to read what people's issues are with the film, so I can't say I'd realised certain things go unanswered... I have too much fun with it to notice that stuff lol. To tell you the truth, I didn't even realise it was considered a bad film until about 10 years ago when I mentioned it in a convo with some people, who absolutely slaughtered me for saying it was a great film. :blackeye:

But anyhoo... I'd totally be down for similar editions of Prince of a Thieves and The Postman, although I haven't actually seen the latter due to not being able to source a HD copy -- I literally just did a search (first time in a while) and realised it finally got a Blu-ray release over here only last year! Guess I'll finally get around to watching it now. :D
The Postman is a really terrible movie.

Now that you mention it, I'm not sure if I have either.

Question to those in the know... which do people actually consider the better cut?

I find most times extended or directors cut are always worse they normally slow the pacing of the film. Saying that i would like to watch the extended cut.

Reactions: Noodles
Funny I enjoyed it. I guess its aged well at least for me as I never saw it at release and only recently saw it for first time like 2 years ago.

I find most times extended or directors cut are always worse they normally slow the pacing of the film. Saying that i would like to watch the extended cut.
Typically true.

I think the reason we dont see tons of Robin Hood Costner editions is cause of major lawsuits. Costner has sued Morgan Creek over what he deemed shady stunts for hidden royalties for the film and Morgan Creek also sued Costner back.

that of course might be changing, havent kept up on it but I knew Morgan Creek was selling off most of its library to WB at one point if i recall to help fund the 2pac movie ..... which didnt go over so well. I think they had an NWA movie on their hands.

• Thanks
Reactions: tridon
Most folks say the same about Waterworld though, and yet I love it!

I tend to agree, although there are some DCs that really improve certain films... Superman II and Blade Runner are two that spring to mind.

Most folks say the same about Waterworld though, and yet I love it!

I tend to agree, although there are some DCs that really improve certain films... Superman II and Blade Runner are two that spring to mind.
Waterworld is a masterpiece compared to The Postman!!!

I was doing the same until a month ago when I finally got sick of waiting and picked up the amaray, so I should've seen this release coming, since that always happens to me! :facepalm:

This is true. :LOL::LOL: Can you please pick up the Dead Man's Shoes amaray Nick. ;)

About this release, only just seen this thread today! Wonderful news this, looking forward to it! :D

• Haha
This is true. :LOL::LOL: Can you please pick up the Dead Man's Shoes amaray Nick. ;)
Haha that could actually happen very soon! I was originally waiting for the Zavvi steel to be released, but that was announced centuries ago, so obviously isn't going to happen now unfortunately. :(

• Thanks
Reactions: spass
Haha that could actually happen very soon! I was originally waiting for the Zavvi steel to be released, but that was announced centuries ago, so obviously isn't going to happen now unfortunately. :(

Haha, do it, do it! :p

I know, I used to bump that thread once a year or something. I even tagged Zavvi but got no response. You hear that @zavvi ? No response! :whistle::smuggrin: j/k

But seriously, a Arrow limited release would be fantastic. Fingers crossed.

Last edited:
  • Thanks
Haha, do it, do it! :p

I know, I used to bump that thread once a year or something. I even tagged Zavvi but got no response. You here that @zavvi ? No response! :whistle::smuggrin: j/k

But seriously, a Arrow limited release would be fantastic. Fingers crossed.
On it! ;)

Hmm yeah, they're not the best for responding/giving updates.

An arrow release would be perfect! :thumbs:

• Thanks
Reactions: spass