Ltd. Ed./Birthdays/Video Game Mod
Premium Supporter
May 18, 2013
AZ, U.S.A
4.00 star(s) Rating: 4.00/5 2 Votes
Title: X-Men: Dark Phoenix (2018)

Genre: Action, Science Fiction

Director: Simon Kinberg

Cast: Sophie Turner, James McAvoy, Michael Fassbender, Jessica Chastain, Jennifer Lawrence, Nicholas Hoult, Evan Peters, Tye Sheridan, Kodi Smit-McPhee, Alexandra Shipp, Lamar Johnson, Summer Fontana, Kota Eberhardt, Scott Shepherd, Evan Jonigkeit, Gregg Lowe, Olivia Munn, Daniel Cudmore

Release: 2018-11-02

Plot: Gathered together by Professor Charles Xavier to protect a world that fears and hates them, the X-Men had fought many battles, been on adventures that spanned galaxies, grappled enemies of limitless might, but none of this could prepare them for the most shocking struggle they would ever face. One of their own members, Jean Grey, has gained power beyond all comprehension, and that power has corrupted her absolutely! Now they must decide if the life of the woman they cherish is worth the existence of the entire universe!

I used this opportunity to not only reminisce, but to also get a few things off my chest and bid a farewell to one of my favourite series for nearly 20 years. Hope to hear others' X-Men-related memories.

Great hearing how you first became aware of the X-Men and how much they still mean to you today bud. And screw those social media trolls!

• Thanks
Reactions: tridon
Great hearing how you first became aware of the X-Men and how much they still mean to you today bud. And screw those social media trolls!

Thanks, bud! I felt like I HAD to make this video... I had to, for some reason, prove to these idiots that these movies were actually important to me. I also had to do it for a little bit of self-therapy. I know Dark Phoenix just arrived and New Mutants is still coming (hopefully), but I can't believe this is it... the end of an era for a franchise that seriously meant a lot to me during my formative years.

Thanks, bud! I felt like I HAD to make this video... I had to, for some reason, prove to these idiots that these movies were actually important to me. I also had to do it for a little bit of self-therapy. I know Dark Phoenix just arrived and New Mutants is still coming (hopefully), but I can't believe this is it... the end of an era for a franchise that seriously meant a lot to me during my formative years.
I hear ya man! Some people can't seem to grasp or understand that they're more than just entertainment to us (I'm talking about movies in general and not just X-Men), and I think that's what truly makes us "geeks"... they're almost a part of us, if that makes sense. I mean, there are certain films that I genuinely believe shaped me to become who I am today, and they've definitely helped me through some very tough times in life.

But yeah... as sad as I also am to see the FoX-Men come to an end, I'm just happy that it was allowed to exist in the first place and we got to enjoy it for as long as we did. Those movies paved the way for more/better superhero blockbusters (as you said in your video), so people have a lot to be thankful for, whether they're a fan of them or not!

• Thanks
Reactions: CollectorEmtee
I hear ya man! Some people can't seem to grasp or understand that they're more than just entertainment to us (I'm talking about movies in general and not just X-Men), and I think that's what truly makes us "geeks"... they're almost a part of us, if that makes sense. I mean, there are certain films that I genuinely believe shaped me to become who I am today, and they've definitely helped me through some very tough times in life.

But yeah... as sad as I also am to see the FoX-Men come to an end, I'm just happy that it was allowed to exist in the first place and we got to enjoy it for as long as we did. Those movies paved the way for more/better superhero blockbusters (as you said in your video), so people have a lot to be thankful for, whether they're a fan of them or not!

Exactly, dude! Movies are so much more than just movies to us. We dive head-first into these fictional worlds and we're there with these fictional characters. I actually read a couple weeks back that when you're watching a movie and you find yourself smiling or crying or screaming, it's because the film put you into a state of hypnosis... and I absolutely believe that. Like Keanu said:

As for the X-Men, I'm gonna hope that the MCU does right by them, but if not, I'll always have 10 movies from nearly 20 years to fall back on. And I have those because Fox gave these wacky characters a chance when no one else would.

• Thanks
Reactions: Noodles
I went to see this last Friday and I was actually pleasently surprised. It wasnt a very bad movie, but it wasnt a very good one either. Its actually a film that stands out as a very good average film. There are scenes where some actors didnt get a chance to shine, but then there are actors like Fassbender, McAvoy whos acting is top notch and are carrying the entire film, even Sophie Turner did a really good job imo. Then you have scenes based on dialogue which might get a bit boring, but on the other hand you have the Hans Zimmer score accompanying it. For me it feels like a well balanced film if you know what I mean.

It wasnt their intention but you can kind of feel a bit of a middle finger to Disney with the soldiers patch easter egg interlinked with the fact that some characters have no issue with killing and they really mean it. I am a bit tired of the multiple "scary" threads in MCU where you just cant help but feel nothing is really at stake (well, except for the end of the Infinity Saga of course). This is what I always loved about the X-Men series, a bit more seriousness even tho its still a Marvel material.

I have to get back to that Hans Zimmer score. It was so great to hear the man having fun in the studio :) Its nothing new and lots of reviews saying he is stealing from himself again, but I didnt feel that at all. Its no Interstellar or The Dark Knight, but you feel its good old Zimmer and everything we like about him. One theme spreads out through the entire film and its a good theme (coming out of theater remembering it means Zimmer did his job). The use of vocals takes me back a bit to the feeling I got from The DaVinci Code, Angels & Demons or Inferno, but its not copied, it just reminds me of those films and it works soooo well here, especially in one particular scene with Jean and Magneto. This score feels like a mixture of Man Of Steel, Inception, Dunkirk and Inferno so if you liked those then I think you will enjoy this one too.

This wasnt Days Of Future Past or First Class, but it wasnt as bad as Apocalypse. Id put it somewhere in the middle. A good average. 6-7/10 for me.

PS: They really should re-think making their trailers and show less, I was avoiding the final one and Im really glad, because they showed waaaay to much in that one.

Last edited:
Exactly, dude! Movies are so much more than just movies to us. We dive head-first into these fictional worlds and we're there with these fictional characters. I actually read a couple weeks back that when you're watching a movie and you find yourself smiling or crying or screaming, it's because the film put you into a state of hypnosis... and I absolutely believe that. Like Keanu said:

As for the X-Men, I'm gonna hope that the MCU does right by them, but if not, I'll always have 10 movies from nearly 20 years to fall back on. And I have those because Fox gave these wacky characters a chance when no one else would.

• Thanks
Here's my shot at recasting the X-Men and the Fantastic Four for the MCU!

@Noodles

Haven't watched yet (do you have a TL;DR version?) but the rumours for the Fantastic Four are John Krasinski (Reed Richards), Emily Blunt (Sue Storm) & Liam Hemsworth (Johnny Storm). All solid choices

• Thanks
Haven't watched yet (do you have a TL;DR version?) but the rumours for the Fantastic Four are John Krasinski (Reed Richards), Emily Blunt (Sue Storm) & Liam Hemsworth (Johnny Storm). All solid choices

Those are definitely solid choices. Apparently it's rumoured that Dwayne Johnson could be up for the role of Ben Grimm, too.

I don't have a TL;DR version, but the first comment under the video has timestamps to all the castings within the video, so if you're only interested in knowing our picks for a couple of the characters, just hit the timestamp and you'll jump to that part. :thumbs:

Reactions: tommyh84
Those are definitely solid choices. Apparently it's rumoured that Dwayne Johnson could be up for the role of Ben Grimm, too.

I don't have a TL;DR version, but the first comment under the video has timestamps to all the castings within the video, so if you're only interested in knowing our picks for a couple of the characters, just hit the timestamp and you'll jump to that part. :thumbs:
Which one are you?