American Psycho (Blu-ray SteelBook) (Zavvi Exclusive) [UK]

Nov 5, 2012
Newark, Nottinghamshire
Release date: 26th of October, 2015
Purchase link: American Psycho (Live Sat Oct 17, 18:00 UK time)
Price: £15.99
Ultra-limited print run

11037429-2084332714397968.JPG

11037429-2084332714406305.JPG 11037429-1004332714411747.JPG 11037429-2704332714417192.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Being the cynical sod that I am, has anyone thought that an American Psycho steel possibility was simply a clever ploy to create buzz and generate interest in their site and was never going to happen in the first place, anyone that know's anything about Steelbook's and more over this community will know that two of the most anticipated title's on steel are American Psycho and Dredd, and to this day no artwork has surfaced for either title....

Yeah thats who I came across earlier. Would they be the people though being only distributors to approve art etc, or would it be the films actual production company which I think was Lionsgate in the US that Zavvi would have gone to?
Entertainment Film Distributors
Entertainment in Video (Home Video) are the British distributor of independent films in the UK and Ireland for various production companies
Its them who have the rights to do a release in UK/Ireland
Some previous films were released using Warner UK but are now distributed by EIV themselves and is why Departed is now released directly from EIV and no longer Warner

EIV released American Psycho on 16 Feb. 2015 for the first time on Blu-ray in the UK

Any release of American Psycho in UK/Ireland is decided by EIV as they hold the distribution rights
Artwork and Blu-ray content is their decision
A film may be made by a film studio but its who has the distribution rights who calls the shots on a release for the cinema and home video market in the countries the distribution rights apply

What has happened with the Steelbook release don't really know for sure

It may be Zavvi did reject the release or it was just that EIV themselves who cancelled the steelbook release as they already spent the money on the standard release
I doubt we will really find out for sure

Last edited:
To say we 'turned it down because we could not find suitable artwork' is totally absurd, even with C*ap artwork this probably would have sold out, and if they were that bothered about artwork then half of what they churn out wouldn't get released...

If anyone remembers the little interview that was done roughly a year ago with some zavvi employee, American Psycho was mentioned as a release they'd really like to get done. So I doubt they'd just drop it for no reason. Here's the excerpt:

Q: Is there a title that you’d love to see get a steelbook release, either new or classic?

Loads – though I do have a few that I am actively chasing, again, some of my favourite films. I’d love to release Mean Streets, again as I love the movie, but also because of the 1973 iconic film poster that is so synonymous with the film. That is one that already exists in my head, it’s just the title is not available on Blu-ray in the UK and no-one can quite get to the bottom of when or if it is released.

Another is Le Samourai, Jean-Pierre Melville’s classic French Crime classic. Obviously pretty well-known with film fans but probably does not have the recognition it deserves amongst the wider public in the UK, mainly because it has so frequently been available on DVD in the UK. Only France has a Blu-ray release, but I’d love to change that. Again, getting to the bottom of who owns the rights is very difficult!

Others include, The Big Lebowski, William Friedkin’s ‘Sorcerer’, Brick, American Psycho, Lethal Weapon, Stoker, They Live, Escape From New York, Dead Man’s Shoes… The list is endless really.

I feel I should say just to stop and rumours starting, there are no plans to actually release any of the above as this time. Well, maybe one of them…

To say we 'turned it down because we could not find suitable artwork' is totally absurd, even with C*ap artwork this probably would have sold out, and if they were that bothered about artwork then half of what they churn out wouldn't get released...

Especially with crap artwork like wolf creek, basic instinct, brick, buried, swingers and many many more it is hard to believe that zavvi said no lol.
Oh well it might happen one day, I won't loose sleep over it (I just hope cabin fever is also not cancelled lol really wanted that one too, I actually thought they might of seen my posts over ninja week and previous to that haha)

If anyone remembers the little interview that was done roughly a year ago with some zavvi employee, American Psycho was mentioned as a release they'd really like to get done. So I doubt they'd just drop it for no reason. Here's the excerpt:

I mentioned this the other week when someone was trying to tell me that the studios give zavvi their releases and say what and when, when sometimes its zavvis steelbook staff who have a say in what's released. Knew I wasn't going crazy.

Reactions: SteelbookGenius666
Especially with crap artwork like wolf creek, basic instinct, brick, buried, swingers and many many more it is hard to believe that zavvi said no lol.
Oh well it might happen one day, I won't loose sleep over it (I just hope cabin fever is also not cancelled lol really wanted that one too, I actually thought they might of seen my posts over ninja week and previous to that haha)
I honestly believe the post that I made before the one you quoted...American Psycho steel? what American Psycho steel?

Generated A lot of buzz and interest and created a lot more traffic to their home of 'Steelbookz'

I mentioned this the other week when someone was trying to tell me that the studios give zavvi their releases and say what and when, when sometimes its zavvis steelbook staff who have a say in what's released. Knew I wasn't going crazy.
A small number of releases Zavvi approach for a release to happen and few so far has happened that way but the majority of the releases is the film studio who decided not Zavvi and is also why you see these same steelbook get a release in other countries same time or shortly after

The number of releases that Zavvi asked to happen and got released is tiny compared to the ones decided by the film studio alone

Reactions: digitalbabe
My previous post #364....

Ohhh you Believe the post you made about creating buzz for their site knowing they wouldn't release it. Right get ya. (Although as much as I would like a dredd steel it's not my most anticipated but was a great film )
I thought you meant I (me) quoted "american psycho steel, what american psycho steel?" I was confused

You mean that's there excuse or what zavvi would say when questioned about this. "American psycho steel, what american psycho steel?"
That right?

A small number of releases Zavvi approach for a release to happen and few so far has happened that way but the majority of the releases is the film studio who decided not Zavvi and is also why you see these same steelbook get a release in other countries same time or shortly after

The number of releases that Zavvi asked to happen and got released is tiny compared to the ones decided by the film studio alone

Not my point, i know it's 98% the studio choice but zavvi staff still get to reccomend the odd steel. That's all i meant and to prove people like yourself wrong when all you say in every thread that's its strictly the studios. Because that's how it's sounds when you write your extremely over the top in depth posts.

Ohhh you Believe the post you made about creating buzz for their site knowing they wouldn't release it. Right get ya. (Although as much as I would like a dredd steel it's not my most anticipated but was a great film )
I thought you meant I (me) quoted "american psycho steel, what american psycho steel?" I was confused

You mean that's there excuse or what zavvi would say when questioned about this.
That right?
Sorry mate, It's just the reason they have give for cancelling this title is absurd with their track record, so being cynical, I'm Mr Zavvi and I take a look on HDN to see what people want, I then tell them that I'm going to give them what they want creating a buzz and an interest in my product because let's face it being Mr Zavvi I could do with some brownie points, I then delay and delay and at the last minute I pull the plug citing the reason they have given.

I know it's far fetched, but I'm tired and p*ssed off that this has been cancelled...

Reactions: Flloydo
Sorry mate, It's just the reason they have give for cancelling this title is absurd with their track record, so being cynical, I'm Mr Zavvi and I take a look on HDN to see what people want, I then tell them that I'm going to give them what they want creating a buzz and an interest in my product because let's face it being Mr Zavvi I could do with some brownie points, I then delay and delay and at the last minute I pull the plug citing the reason they have given.

Yeah I understand you.
It's just a theory like everything else but not a bad one. Although those brownie points will instantly go if someone from the studio read the original comment on zavvi turning it down due to bad art and it was a lie. We will prob never know anyways

Not my point, i know it's 98% the studio choice but zavvi staff still get to reccomend the odd steel. That's all i meant and to prove people like yourself wrong when all you say in every thread that's its strictly the studios. Because that's how it's sounds when you write your extremely over the top in depth posts.
I mentioned about Zavvi many times before asking for a releases to happen and that some are approved and was also me who posted the original link in Dec 2013 on zavvi discussing the steelbook market and how they go about releases you just read
The original post had lot of detail from discussing the first release of Roger Rabbit and Disney and other releases and hopes of future releases and how it all happens and not happen and what gets in the way of a release not happening its was long and detailed post from zavvi

Last edited:
I mentioned about Zavvi many times before asking for a releases to happen and that some are approved and was also me who posted the original link in 2013 on zavvi discussing the steelbook market and how they go about releases you just read

There you go then, you just completed a full circle. If you originally posted it then why do you always say it's the studio that approaches them?
And yeah that's true but that odd time zavvi have a say, or they see our polls, and loads of people have recommended films to them including myslef.
Anyway I thought I had seen that original post about their recomendations and now I have again so I now know I wasn't going crazy

All I hope for is we do get a release, but not a stupid ultra low print run were a select few have one and the rest of us can just **** off, unless we're prepared to sell a kidney and get one from Ebay (Shudders at the thought)....

I also hope it happens but I'm quite patient and can wait however long that takes lol