Premium Supporter
May 3, 2011
Montreal
Release date: January 16, 2018
Purchase links: 4K ($44.99 CDN) or 2D ($34.99 CDN) ONLINE ONLY

2d.jpg 4k.jpg

Last edited:
They dropped the ball not selling these in store

No I don't think they did. They said right from the beginning that these would be sold online only.
So they sold all of the copies that they wanted to sell. Online.

1) Best Buy Canada no longer wants to deal with the hassle of people calling up on release day and asking them to hold a copy for them.

2) They no longer want the hassle of people reserving steelbooks online on release day and picking them up in stores later that day.

3) They no longer want the hassle of people showing up at their door on a Tuesday morning at 10 a.m. (or earlier) looking to grab 5 copies of the latest exclusive steelbook while others show up and then don't get a copy because 1) they are already being held behind the counter because others called ahead and reserved it. 2) they are already being held behind the counter because others reserved it online to pick up later or 3) because somebody already grabbed all the copies off of the shelf.

Bottom line: If you want to buy a Best Buy Canada "exclusive" steelbook that isn't a Star Wars related steelbook then you are going to have to pre-order it online early when the listing first appears if you want anything close to a guarantee of getting a copy.

Pre-ordering exclusive steelbooks online is now basically the only way to give everybody a fair shot of obtaining a copy. It doesn't guarantee that you will get one, but it is a better alternative to stocking them in the stores.

And if you're thinking "well then Best Buy doesn't want my money" well you're right.
Not in store for 1 movie. They aren't a video store. They are for computers, laptops, electronics, appliances and so on. Big Ticket items.

If they someday go out of business, it won't be because they are no longer selling movies.
It was the companies that were only selling music and movies that went out of business.

Someone pre-ordered it in-store for pickup and some employee didn't know and screwed up?
i thought you can only do ISPU for in stock items? Which means it's just a huge screw up from BB

Anyway, i preordered both BD and 4K but i only received BD steelbook. Didnt even get a shipping notice for 4K...:cautious:

i thought you can only do ISPU for in stock items? Which means it's just a huge screw up from BB

Anyway, i preordered both BD and 4K but i only received BD steelbook. Didnt even get a shipping notice for 4K...:cautious:
AS @Stygian mentionned, only a guess from my end. Oh, and you can always pre-order in advance an item in store. By exemple, you can pre-order The Last Jedi today in your local store for picking it up on release day...

• Thanks
Reactions: AlienKing
Yes, you can preorder for pick-up. BUT, knowing BestBuy and their careful attention towards steelbooks you have a chance to get your steel damaged, and if the item is sold out they will just refund you.
Or they can cancel and refund your preorder early morning of the release day, when they reailize that the store didn't get enough steels.
All of it was happening today in US.
Now 4k steels are getting sold for 75$ on bay.
Great job from bestbuy predicting the demand.

And even though the 2D steel is WEA (with USA), I decided to be future proof with the 4K combo:
Finally got the 4K in mail. I didnt even know BD steelbook was WEA for NA but i prefer the 4K art. That and your future proofing are the reasons i'm keeping 4K.

• Thanks
Reactions: Drum18