Captain America: The First Avenger (ZBOX) (Blu-ray SteelBook Lenticular) (Zavvi Exclusive) [UK]

luke98

Premium Supporter
Jun 30, 2014
Alexandria Safe-Zone
Release date: November 23rd, 2015
Purchase link: Zavvi
Price: £39.99

Also see individual thread:
Captain America: The First Avenger (3D+2D Blu-ray SteelBook + Lenticular) (Zavvi Exclusive) [UK]

11165425-7824323603754965.jpg

cap_full.jpg IMG_20150902_181835.jpg
11165425-1954323604208604.jpg 11165425-1524323604214388.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
When all's said and done I have no problem leaving the steelbooks in question if this policy extends to other high profile steelbooks and my desire to have every single U.K. steelbook of a film in my collection changed when I had to return 'T2' and 'Cinderella' because of issues with the spines.

The fact remains that Zavvi IS most definitely the home of U.K. steelbooks and JUST ABOUT the only retailer in the U.K. of steelbook exclusives in the U.K. and if you don't agree with that all you have to do is check out the figures included below, and these are just for this year so far:-

2015 STEELBOOK RELEASES

JAN = 6 released - 5 Zavvi exclusive

FEB = 15 released - 10 Zavvi exclusive (HMV 2 & E.S. 1)

MCH = 23 released - 19 Zavvi exclusive (HMV / EONE 1)

APR = 20 released - 15 Zavvi exclusive (HMV 1)

MAY = 27 released - 22 Zavvi exclusive

JNE = 23 released - 14 Zavvi exclusive (HMV 2)

JLY = 19 released - 17 Zavvi exclusive (HMV 1)

AUG = 17 released - 14 Zavvi exclusive (HMV / EONE 1)

SEP = 15 released - ALL 15 Zavvi exclusive

OCT = ?

NOV = ?

DEC = ?

These figures show that of the 165 STEELBOOKS RELEASED IN THE U.K. to the end of September - 131 have been ZAVVI EXCLUSIVES, 8 HMV / EONE EXCLUSIVES, 1 ENTERTAINMENT STORE EXCLUSIVE and 25 non-exclusives.

I'd say that gives Zavvi the right to do what the hell they want with their steelbooks / bundles and no amount of ranting and raving is going to make a jot of difference.

Anyway, many members can actually bypass Zavvi completely and buy those fancy-shmancy packages from abroad with the slipcovers, artcards etc. and also many of the same titles that Zavvi are selling here in the U.K. considerably cheaper from Amazon.It and elsewhere.

Reactions: Steelbookzombie
Quick message to those venting spleen and throwing hissy fits (and to those many above thanking those that have) I'm sure you realise that nothing written on this forum makes an iota of difference to Zavvi's bundling steelbooks with ZBOXs policy and is just a tad tedious :)

Quick message to those venting spleen and throwing hissy fits (and to those many above thanking those that have) I'm sure you realise that nothing written on this forum makes a jot of difference to Zavvi's bundling steelbooks with ZBOXs policy and is just a tad tedious :)

Jesus Christ people are allowed to write what they want.
Not sure if you know but we have a had a few changes to releases because of us venting feedback on this site, one of the biggest was the back art of wreck it Ralph.

Keep venting people whether it's positive or negative.

And I don't get why you are breaking down how many steelbooks zavvi have released in a year, they may say they are the home of steelbooks and due to amounts they have released and sold it may look like it (on paper) but HMV have a place to play in this uk game and some other places too. Amazon seem to be getting tv series exclusives and so on. Just because zavvi flood the uk market it don't make them the actual home of steelbooks.
They are the home of steelbooks because of the amount they release not they way they want to be known as the home of steelbooks (big difference)

Yeah they can do what they want. But they will fail at it.
Nearly every steel except the odd special one falls down dramatically in price, people are becoming more patient and have learned from previous releases to wait allot of them out for a price drop.
I also see this Zbox failing and a lot on here including myself have stated why they think that.

It actually sounds like your the one with hissy fits

Clearly we have to agree to disagree on this matter particularly as I'm ONLY referring to ZBOX / steelbook bundles and not to any supposed artwork changes.

Mentioning Amazon or HMV as steelbook exclusive retailers in the same breath as Zavvi is ludicrous in the extreme.

Which was the last Amazon steelbook exclusive ?
As far as I can see all, or nearly all, steelbooks first listed as Amazon exclusives ended up elsewhere and considerably cheaper to boot - these pathetic few TV series exclusive steelbooks hardly bring Amazon into the game and what's more who's to say that these very same 'exclusives' will not be made available to other retailers further down the line as other 'exclusive' steelbooks have been ?

Zavvi is clearly the king of U.K. steelbooks and no matter what you or anyone else says will remain exactly that well into the future.

Truth to tell, I don't know why we are having this discussion as we are all in the same boat after all.

Zavvi's policy affects me more than most, I suspect, and that's speaking as someone who ONLY BUYS steelbooks from the U.K. through U.K. retailers.

I am a realist, however, and accept that I'm powerless in the face of this company's policy in this regard and the only way I can show my disapproval at said policy is to vote with my wallet and this is something I have done and HAVE NOT BOUGHT, NOR EVER WILL BUY, A STEELBOOK / ZBOX BUNDLE no matter how attractive or different the steelbook is.

If it's true that the ZBOXs are not selling well by themselves I can imagine that MORE, NOT FEWER, steelbooks will be sold as ZBOX exclusives in order to help shift stock of said boxes - this is the painful reality that I am facing at present.

When all's said and done I have no problem leaving the steelbooks in question if this policy extends to other high profile steelbooks and my desire to have every single U.K. steelbook of a film in my collection changed when I had to return 'T2' and 'Cinderella' because of issues with the spines.

The fact remains that Zavvi IS most definitely the home of U.K. steelbooks and JUST ABOUT the only retailer in the U.K. of steelbook exclusives in the U.K. and if you don't agree with that all you have to do is check out the figures included below, and these are just for this year so far:-

2015 STEELBOOK RELEASES

JAN = 6 released - 5 Zavvi exclusive

FEB = 15 released - 10 Zavvi exclusive (HMV 2 & E.S. 1)

MCH = 23 released - 19 Zavvi exclusive (HMV / EONE 1)

APR = 20 released - 15 Zavvi exclusive (HMV 1)

MAY = 27 released - 22 Zavvi exclusive

JNE = 23 released - 14 Zavvi exclusive (HMV 2)

JLY = 19 released - 17 Zavvi exclusive (HMV 1)

AUG = 17 released - 14 Zavvi exclusive (HMV / EONE 1)

SEP = 15 released - ALL 15 Zavvi exclusive

OCT = ?

NOV = ?

DEC = ?

These figures show that of the 165 STEELBOOKS RELEASED IN THE U.K. to the end of September - 131 have been ZAVVI EXCLUSIVES, 8 HMV / EONE EXCLUSIVES, 1 ENTERTAINMENT STORE EXCLUSIVE and 25 non-exclusives.

I'd say that gives Zavvi the right to do what the hell they want with their steelbooks / bundles and no amount of ranting and raving is going to make a jot of difference.

Anyway, many members can actually bypass Zavvi completely and buy those fancy-shmancy packages from abroad with the slipcovers, artc
ards etc. and also many of the same titles that Zavvi are selling here in the U.K. considerably cheaper from Amazon.It and elsewhere.

More doesn't = better. IMO Film Arena wins this year. Yes zavvi has some ok steels, but none of them are premium packages with full slips. They are the bare bones editions. They also have horrible customer support. They suck the money out of your account before you can cancel because they ship early with no warning.

You have to put all things into perspective and zavvi is about as bad as it gets. Go read the mondo thread about mondo going with zavvi. Many people are going to boycott mondo now.

If people are saying they'd pay £40-50 for a Steelbook then what's the problem buying it bundled with the zbox.

Instead of one item you're gonna get a handful and though the items may appear to be crap atleast it's better than paying £40 for a single steel from zavvi.

People can't be pleased. If zavvi upped their price on marvel steels to £40 people would still buy them and no doubt *****. When they couple it with something else for the same price everyone loses their damn minds.

I quite agree that U.K. steelbooks are basic when compared to some others from other territories but that suits me just fine - I prefer metal packaging to plastic for my Blu-rays even though actual steelbooks only form about 15% of my Blu-ray collection/film library and most of those steelbooks are double-dips of films that I'd already bought on Blu-ray. Crazy, I know :)

I've never had any major issues with Zavvi's customer service - though the replies can be annoying when these are 'stock' replies with little bearing on the query posed.- so I can't comment further except to say that whenever I've had to return something damaged I've not had a problem.

The early charging for 'Tomorrowland' threw me a bit but that's the only one that has.

I certainly wouldn't say that Zavvi is "as bad as it gets" but that's just based on my personal experience.

Afraid to say I don't follow steelbooks from abroad so I know nothing about any Mondo tie in with Zavvi But would like to know if that's Pop Art related or something else.

Anyway, many members can actually bypass Zavvi completely and buy those fancy-shmancy packages from abroad with the slipcovers, artcards etc. and also many of the same titles that Zavvi are selling here in the U.K. considerably cheaper from Amazon.It and elsewhere.

I'd take quality over quantity anyday, just because they flood the market doesn't make them the kings of UK steelbook releases....

i'd rather see Zavvi not release steelbooks at all , then do steelbooks with ZBOXes ............. guess the Captain America and Iron Man lenticulars will be like the Avengers lenticular :rofl:
I damn hope not @luke98! :ohno: That lenti for the Avengers was truly awful IMO :vomit::yuck: If it's going to be a trend for Zavvi's future Lenticulars, needless to say I won't be keeping them :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

I bought the Renegades ZBOX/Iron Man Steel Combo for £33.99 using a 15% discount code so am living in the hope they may have upped their Lenti game. Here's to being the optimist but who knows! :LOL::rofl::rofl:

Reactions: luke98
I'd take quality over quantity anyday, just because they flood the market doesn't make them the kings of UK steelbook releases....

That's a perfectly reasonable stance to take but I'm perfectly happy with as many films as possible in steelbook packaging and that's it :)
Of course Zavvi is the king / home of U.K. steelbooks as no other company can be arsed.

I certainely would not. Not even if they pushed it to "only" 29.99.. for me 24.99 is pushing it.

Agree with you 100% on the pricing as to what is acceptable for a basic U.K. steelbook package though if Zavvi released certain 'premium' steelbooks in the Czech style - say one or two a month - with all the bells and whistles, I'd be tempted to pay more than GBP 24.99 though how much more would depend.

Let's move this along folks and get back on topic, feel free to discuss the retailer's policies in the correct thread.

Release Date for the Steelbook
If you pre ordered the Villains or Renegades Zbox
Captain America and Iron Man steelbooks both have the same release date
23rd November

Last edited:
Reactions: luke98