Aug 4, 2012
Release date: September 29th, 2014
Purchase links:
Amazon UK
Base.com
Zavvi.com

Notes: Includes 22 page booklet

Looks like the next steel from Manga Entertainment has been confirmed:
http://www.animenewsnetwork.co.uk/n...rtainment-confirms-one-piece-films-gits-arise

UPDATE: Confirmed on Twitter as a 2014 Release.

91mmu3zmxdl-_sx522_-jpg.97869

Attachments

• image-1.jpg
    image-1.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 325
  • 91Mmu3zmXdL._SX522_.jpg
    91Mmu3zmXdL._SX522_.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 2,362
Last edited by a moderator:
The 2.0 Blu-ray which I like is less than $10 on Amazon.com right now. Sure there are issues with the reproduction consistency but as possibly the gold standard of anime, the 2.0 edition might not be surpassed. A definite buy for me :thumbs:

2.0 is the best verion ....ppl complained that the new CG parts were out of context ect, but if u have read Shirow's manga u kno thats how its supposed to be ...he mixes line art with CG art in his original works, so by adding the same effects in the movie, it only makes the film more authentic imo.

I just wish the Japanese wld stop rehashing the series and do a brand new anime film for the only REAL sequel - Man Machine Interface :drool: :bow: :drool: :bow: :drool: :bow: :drool: :bow:

2.0 is the best verion ....ppl complained that the new CG parts were out of context ect, but if u have read Shirow's manga u kno thats how its supposed to be ...he mixes line art with CG art in his original works, so by adding the same effects in the movie, it only makes the film more authentic imo.

I'm not a fan of the changes in 2.0, but I completely get where you're coming from. For me though, the Oshii movies are a completely different interpretation of Ghost in the Shell to the original manga. Shirow's manga is wildly flamboyant and vivid, full of humour, and unashamedly sexualised, while the Oshii movies are deadly serious to the point of self-parody and almost sterile. To make the first movie more in line with the manga just doesn't make sense to me because they're two completely different beasts. I actually think the changes were made to make the movie more like STAND ALONE COMPLEX rather than the manga, but that also doesn't work for me because I think SAC should be treated separately as well. While it's closer to the original manga, it doesn't have the same level of humour in it, and it also diverts enough from the Oshii movies to stand on its own.

Anyway, I'm very curious about the artwork but already have my sights set on the Japanese boxset which has both the original version and 2.0.

^^ gotta agree with that, especially the point about bringing it in line more with SAC. The increased correlation to the original manga tho is still there, despite it being perhaps an unintended bonus. And yes i agree too about differences in tone and content between them also ....especially the lack of humor and Kusanagi girl on girl orgies :drool: :bow: :drool:

....but to call Oshi's movie wildy different is incorrect imo.... to me its simply a more efficient & streamlined take on the content for cinema - the overall themes are very much maintained imo - just minus a lot of the humor and smaller "episodes" as u said, tho alot of that extra stuff comes up in SAC.

Oshi simply poured most of the movie time into a certain mindblowing case for section 9 right at the end of the original manga... and i think the movie deserves respect at the very least for turning ppl on to Masamune Shirow’s work in general - like any good film adaptation should :thumbs:

The 2.0 Blu Ray has the original version, though I dunno how much they restored it or not. But meh, who knows, could be a new release for all we know....

i have the 2.0 version and yes, it also comes with the original. maybe as more info comes it will be clear what exactly we are getting but from that quote, it doesnt mention 2.0 so i can only assume its not included.

personally, i love ghost in the shell (the films) so im happy we are getting the original in steelbook form. i have the second film in a japanese steelbook.

as for 2.0, i thought it was great adding new cgi sections, although they do jar a bit. its almost like they intended to remake the entire film but gave up after only making a few key scenes...

Finally! I've never seen the film but always wanted to. Been waiting for a Blu-ray release. Steelbook by Manga? Even better! Will go nicely with Ninja Scroll and Akira.

Manga do excellent steelbooks - my Akira one is one of my favourites (literally...top 3 probably). I hope this comes with the original version, if not at least the original version as an option (with 2.0).

Listing up at Zavvi, release date is September 29th, 2014. It comes with a 22 page booklet:

http://www.zavvi.com/blu-ray/ghost-in-the-shell-limited-edition-steelbook-includes-booklet/10952745.html

Judging by the usual Zavvi price drop system (and previous Manga steels) I assume that will be £19.99 when it goes live. Not too bad, as the quality on the last two has been pretty good and the booklets they put in there are high quality too.

Looking forward to this - far to few anime steels around.