digitalbabe

Premium Supporter
Apr 12, 2009
USA
Release date: November 24th, 2014
Purchase Link: Guardians of the Galaxy
Price: £24.99
Notes: Includes 3D disc, Limited to 5,000 units
*Note: Live again as of 11/28-add both to cart from here. You should then see a 25.99 GBP discount applied in cart.

01.jpg

00.jpg
thumb.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Pretty safe to say where the line is drawn in the sand. Hate is strong on this board. Funny too. I get a kick out of it. Too many serious people who will say stuff just to get a rise out of others while I speak the truth. We all know that zavvi doesnt offer safe and secure packaging to people overseas and that the damage rate is fairly high compared to Korea.

These are collectables and Korea is going to continue to get the influx of collectors because they know what is in more demand. The reason it is in more demand in Korea is because those retailers are actually LISTENING to the collectors voices and they are giving us what we want. Zavvi and Amazon dont give a rats ass about collectors at all. Thats obvious. Its only a tiny part of their revenue stream.

Keep on hatin me all you want. I only speak the truth and what I have learned over the years after slinging over 10,000 steelbooks in the last 2.5 years. I have my data. It shows Korea is leading by a long shot. More than double.

But as someone else said, you're talking about ultra-limited quantities of popular titles in packaging that (for some reason) people go crazy for.

This isn't the mentality of most consumers though. I'd imagine that 99% of steelbook buyers (the market that Amazon and Zavvi are interested in) simply prefer a metal case around their disc, only buy one of each title that interests them and then opens them and watches them. If Amazon and Zavvi suddenly started charging £5 postage on steelbooks, sales would fall through the floor. Even though we all love our steelbooks to be mint on arrival, how many now have small scratches and chips after being put on shelves and viewed a few times? I know some of mine do (and I treat them carefully).

As most of us aren't interested in after market values of our steelbooks, buying the most expensive and hardest version to get hold of doesn't make sense to us. As a casual buyer, why would I want to spend $$$ on the FS Iron Man (with a blue banner which I hate) when the Play version suits my needs? Same with the white versions of Batman Begins and The Dark Knight, the later versions look okay on my shelf. Sure, I prefer the titles on the spine for Thor: TDW and CA: TWS and would have bought the US versions if they were cheaper and easier to get, but the Zavvi versions get the job done (and were better quality).

Anyway, the point is... We should buy whichever version we want based on our requirements. ease, budgets and whatever other factors come into play. But none of us should be judged on our decision.

Glad I cancelled my order for this, I really don't like it! My opinion of course, glad it has surprised some who were hating on it in the first place. Will be getting the standard amaray with slipcase I think! Still haven't seen the movie, heard it's great!

Can we keep it friendly please folks. Everyone has there own preferences, some people prefer Asian releases while others like to get local releases. There is no right and wrong, everyone collects differently. Calling people out and starting arguments isn't helpful and just derails the thread. Can we try and stay on topic please guys.

Then maybe someone should delete the offending posts rather than those that commented! :)

I would hope you would get undamged product from ordering stuff right in your own backyard. For people like myself and many others on this message board when you order overseas you better expect to get safe and secure shipping which neither amazon or zavvi offer. That is just the facts. Korea uses bubblewrap and lots of it. Europe uses none.
The packaging used by Amazon and Zavvi is not ideal, but is fat superior to that used by every North American retailer that I can think of. What you fail to mention is that Korean retailers can use better packaging because they sell their steelbooks for 3 or 4 times the price of Amazon or Zavvi, although they only cost a few cents more to produce (for fancy slips and postcards).

Reactions: StifflersDad
£7.99! I was hoping the cassette would be about £5 or less, might reconsider getting it. Still awesome though.

I just watched it for the third time, still just as awseome as it was at the cinema. I did initially find the steelbok very disappointing but after seeing the movie again and having it in hand Its defiantly grown on me.

Reactions: harry and chunk
8 quid for a cassette I'll never be able to listen to is completely unjustifiable. But. I still wouldn't surprise myself if I bought it. Which I might. Probably. Ha.

My favourite on repeated viewings actually was Drax.

Lol.. thats exactly what I thought, I don't need it + I won't play it + It cost's £8... =I might still be tempted if I walk into hmv.
I have no control what so ever:bag:

Yep, Drax is brilliant! I think they did well with the characters, I enjoy watching all of them.. you would think out of 5 characters there would be one to dislike but personally I think they bounced off each other great. . Looking forward to a sequel.. that, and the new avengers movie:D

Reactions: harry and T800kaz
Customs is and will always remain a sensitive topic for us in the UK / EU. Anyways this Steelbook is still not good for me but I will try to get the Nova version for the goodies though it will end up costing me £12 extra but I sometimes treat some Steels as an investment as I don't want my collection to turn up worthless within a short timespan. When the next version with proper artwork is released I will probably sell the first one and use that money to purchase it. Ultimately commonsense prevails and money does t come that easy.

Reactions: blu-steel
My copy arrived Saturday morning, mint condition despite a large smoosh in the corner of the cardboard packaging. Just re-watched the movie - it's just as great if not better the 2nd time around. I thought the picture was a little overly soft and digital looking in places, but I guess that's par for the course with heavily SFX driven movies.

As for the steelbook design, it definitely looks better in person thanks to some nice spot-gloss and debossing, but I really would have preferred it if Marvel/Disney/whoever at least stuck to their own design principals and either put the title or the faces of the characters on the spine. The stop/play/rewind design would have been fine being printed on the case opening instead (albeit a bit distorted), but it looks dumb on the spine.

Reactions: chunk
This cassette design was bad and always will be bad. Some incompetent designer and a boardroom stiff thought it would be a cute idea. The only compliments on this steelbook should be directed to the embossing machine that punched them out.

;) that made me laugh hans :)
the artwork they used for the sleeve was pants but I do really like the novelty of it. . That stiff in the boardroom could see me coming:emb:

Nice pics guys! It looks really good, just wish the made it match the walkman in the film. I plan on buying a couple extra copies of the Besy Buy release and do a custom paint job to match.

Reactions: hansgruber
It would be interesting to know how many people have had a steel arrived damaged because of the packaging.
All of mine have always been a spline slash or scratches under the film wrap never have I had a damaged one from the post.

So hope this will come back up for order as I was away on business when it went live and missed it.

• Helpful Post
Reactions: Doctor
As others said at the beginning, and the steelbook shows, the execution of the design is fine. The debossing is great and the spot gloss works really well. Disney have done a great job making the steelbook look like a Sony Walkman (excluding the logos obviously).

What they haven't done is replicate the right Walkman from the movie, which really should have been the point. At whatever stage it was discovered that using the blue one from the film wasn't an option, Disney really should have gone back to the drawing-board.

It's like the early days of Universal Horror action figures. The Wolf Man looked like Lon Chaney Jr. (great sculpt), and Frankenstein looked like Boris Karloff (also a great sculpt), but NECA(?) didn't lave the licence to Bela Lugosi so as good as the figure was, it was just a generic Dracula thus defeating the point. This steelbook is like that, they've made a Christopher Lee Dracula rather than a Bela Lugosi one.

It's a bit like the classic A Nightmare on Elm Street box set. That has remake Freddy (silver Walkman) on the cover for a series of movies that star Robert Englund (blue Walkman).

As others said at the beginning, and the steelbook shows, the execution of the design is fine. The debossing is great and the spot gloss works really well. Disney have done a great job making the steelbook look like a Sony Walkman (excluding the logos obviously).

What they haven't done is replicate the right Walkman from the movie, which really should have been the point. At whatever stage it was discovered that using the blue one from the film wasn't an option, Disney really should have gone back to the drawing-board.

It's like the early days of Universal Horror action figures. The Wolf Man looked like Lon Chaney Jr. (great sculpt), and Frankenstein looked like Boris Karloff (also a great sculpt), but NECA(?) didn't lave the licence to Bela Lugosi so as good as the figure was, it was just a generic Dracula thus defeating the point. This steelbook is like that, they've made a Christopher Lee Dracula rather than a Bela Lugosi one.

It's a bit like the classic A Nightmare on Elm Street box set. That has remake Freddy (silver Walkman) on the cover for a series of movies that star Robert Englund (blue Walkman).
Yes my thoughts exactly I'm tempted to spray mine a Sony blue . It's like when your mes buys you twilight on steel book because you like steel books and you like vampires .....
The thoughts there but the execution isn't