digitalbabe

Premium Supporter
Apr 12, 2009
USA
Release date: November 24th, 2014
Purchase Link: Guardians of the Galaxy
Price: £24.99
Notes: Includes 3D disc, Limited to 5,000 units
*Note: Live again as of 11/28-add both to cart from here. You should then see a 25.99 GBP discount applied in cart.

01.jpg

00.jpg
thumb.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
@Actarus they're still bashing the design. It's ugly, but I still got it cos I choose to complete my Marvel collection.
I think it looks far better in hand and is slightly more decent. If the steel matched the sony walkman in the movie, it'll been a knockout.

@Actarus they're still bashing the design. It's ugly, but I still got it cos I choose to complete my Marvel collection.
I think it looks far better in hand and is slightly more decent. If the steel matched the sony walkman in the movie, it'll been a knockout.

This.

I wasn't happy with the design when announced, I'd rather have had one of the theatrical posters. Failing that, then the blue Walkman from the movie. As I said before, the Steelbook design has been well done, it's just not accurate to the item it's supposed to represent.

Like the forthcoming Dolph Lundgren Punisher Steelbook, there's nothing really wrong with the design, it's just used an image for the cover from a totally different film. It would be like using the Superman Returns \S/ on the cover for Supergirl (oh wait, WB did that), or the Batman Begins logo on Batman Returns (which fortunately WB didn't). It's about the appropriateness as much as the design.

I can understand people defending this design, but ask yourself this...

Would you like the Adam West Batmobile on the front of Batman V Superman? Hey, it's still a Batmobile right?
How about Edward Norton on the front of Avengers: Age of Ultron? He played the Hulk at some point.
I know, let's put a claw hammer on the front of Thor: Ragnarok, a hammer is still a hammer isn't it?

It would be interesting to know how many people have had a steel arrived damaged because of the packaging.
All of mine have always been a spline slash or scratches under the film wrap never have I had a damaged one from the post.

So hope this will come back up for order as I was away on business when it went live and missed it.

I have. I've had steels delivered in jiffy bags that look like they've been used for playing football in the Royal Mail depot that's resulted in massive dents, or even on one ocassion the steel falling apart (was one of the Disney's when Zavvi stopped using the white boxes for a while)!!

I'm still waiting for my copy too. I figured mine will arrive some time next week.

I was looking at the steelbook design today and watching the movie then it hit me. whoever designed the steelbook must be an a-hole. but wait, this movie is about a bunch of a-holes. even James Gunn said at the Hollywood Awards that this movie is made for outcasts, for people who ever felt left out and alone. and if I put this steelbook next to my other Marvel steelbooks, it certainly stands out the most as the one that doesn't fit in. looking from that perspective, it made sense. or maybe that's just my logic.

but that makes me more anxious for this steel to arrive.

some may still hate but it's no longer the majority, people are throwing themselves at this steel...from what I read... but I do get the point of the walkman in the movie, but must have been a reason why they didn't do an exact replica...I don't think the walkman is as defining as the comparison that @tenderheartbear does, although I get it. For me it's simply a beautiful steel for the movie and think it's kinda cool...saw pictures and liked it then and like it even more now after seeing how nice the steel turned out.

some may still hate but it's no longer the majority, people are throwing themselves at this steel...from what I read... but I do get the point of the walkman in the movie, but must have been a reason why they didn't do an exact replica...I don't think the walkman is as defining as the comparison that @tenderheartbear does, although I get it. For me it's simply a beautiful steel for the movie and think it's kinda cool...saw pictures and liked it then and like it even more now after seeing how nice the steel turned out.

The probable reason is that in the film it's a Sony Walkman and Sony probably wouldn't give Disney the rights to use that image or the Walkman name

The probable reason is that in the film it's a Sony Walkman and Sony probably wouldn't give Disney the rights to use that image or the Walkman name

Oh, without a doubt.

Ironic then, that the steelbook still features a Sony Walkman design (albeit with the logos removed) which is instantly recognisable if you know what the original model looked like.