Purchase link: Maleficent (sold-out)
Price: £24.99
Notes: 4,000 copies, Full gloss finish

01.jpg

02.jpg
00.jpg 03.jpg
Maleficent.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Even using the Artwork TBC excuse would be a little thin. Remember the artwork would have been finialised weeks ago when it went to print, so the next question was Zavvi notified of the final artwork if not why not, and if they were aware of the change why did they not update the listing with the final artwork( until aroundd this afternoon).

Under the DSR's Zavvi might have to swallow any return costs due to it not being as advertised. With people using the above reasoning that the final artwork was decided weeks ago and Zavvi had plenty of time to update their site and/or contact people with pre-orders to let them know there has been a signiginat change white to black.

Nearly cancelled mine to get the Spanish one!!!! Thank goodness I held back..... beautiful steel book!!!
Can I ask...... has anyone else had problems inputting their Disney Reward points? I have tried, but it tells me that it does not recognise the last 6 digits I'm putting in. Cheers guys and gals.

This isn't really helpful, but Zavvi have at least acknowledged the error on their Instagram...

We apologise to anyone who feels misled by the white cover artwork previously displayed on our website but hope that you guys prefer this version as much as we do!

Reactions: DJ IXS
zavvi proclaim themselves as 'the home of steelbooks,' they also can boast about securing the most steelbook exclusives in uk (maybe even europe) but steelbook collectors deserve better than this... far better!

i dont think its ok, not one bit that people got something completely different to what they ordered. are we really that indifferent, that disinterested in our hobby that we will accept anything they send? where you literally order something white and receive something black?! even if (admittedly) that thing is quite nice. its about principle, because next time they do this, you wont be so lucky, you will get something you actually really dislike.

when a person inquires about one of their products, zavvi have an obligation to give the customer accurate information. it was said a person here asked zavvi to confirm the steel was white as pictured.. it would seem that zavvi representative only went as far as checking the product page, because if they had actually investigated the matter, it would have been confirmed the product was black. its plain and simple incompetence.

its not good enough

Too late. Shipped out before letting us know. They know what is going on. Ive done my part in protest and have been able to cancel 1/4 of my pre-orders so far. I also noticed that when cancelling they are misleading. Saying it was part of a 15% off sale with disney on the disney steels I have been cancelling. There was never any sale as it shows the correct price in the page. I think they do this to trick you into thinking you are going to get it with a discount. No other explanation I can think of.

Can I ask...... has anyone else had problems inputting their Disney Reward points? I have tried, but it tells me that it does not recognise the last 6 digits I'm putting in. Cheers guys and gals.

Send me your code and I'll see if it works for me :happy:

Send me your code and I'll see if it works for me :happy:
Nearly cancelled mine to get the Spanish one!!!! Thank goodness I held back..... beautiful steel book!!!
I'm having the same problem mate.
Put the points in for MULAN and it worked fine but not this one.
Have emailed Disney just waiting for response.

Reactions: spookz
I'm not saying this is what happened, it probably isn't but bare with me...

When I worked for Blockbuster, Disney were (by far) the worst company to deal with. When DVDs first started, Blockbuster were able to buy releases from any other company at a realistic price and rent them. Disney didn't agree, they wanted to retain the high prices that we'd paid for rental VHS, even though, by that time there was no rental window period to speak of.

Basically, Blockbuster said no and for a while we didn't stock any Disney product. By the time it was resolved, Disney had taken off all the special features, slapped 'rental copy' on the spine and disc and dropped the price to around £20 (to us) rather than the £15 you could buy the retail version for (often from our shelves).

Hang in there...

Another issue was release dates. Disney were so obsessed with breaking release dates that we often didn't get a title until release day. This in a time when we had Titanic in store 2 weeks before release date. Fox trusted us, Disney didn't. It's possible Zavvi haven't had Maleficent sat in a warehouse for a week (didn't they only get CA: TWS on the Monday of release?). Even if they have, as someone said, you cant expect the warehouse guy who opens the box to know the item before doesn't look like the item listed on the website. Nor can you expect the guy who put the item on the website to go to the warehouse (which probably isn't even in the same town let alone building) to go and look to see if the product matches.

Don't forget, earlier this year Disney played hardball with Amazon. That's what they're like.

Besides, it's pretty common for products not to look the same as advertised (although they probably look more similar than they do in this case). I was surprised to see title of The Punisher too high on the spine (the mock up has it centralised). I was surprised to see the black border of Amazing Spider-Man 2 was so thick when the only image I saw from HMV had it a lot thinner.

How often have you bought an action figure that looks nothing like the picture on the back of the box?
How often have you received a DVD with both BBFC and IRL ratings on it, when only the BBFC one was shown?
How often have you opened a steelbook to find it's silver and not white? E.T. anyone? Or green, not blue? Umm, Jaws.
Did you expect Aliens to be gloss? I know I did.
Did you know that the 3D logo was a sticker on 300: Rise of an Empire? I know I didn't.

Anyway, it's a shame, but it happens. I've ordered plenty of things that didn't end up looking how I expected. I currently have the UK Batman 1966 Blu-ray set on order. Will it look like that when it comes out? No idea. Will Amazon update the picture before it arrives on my doorstep? No idea there either.

I'm not saying this is what happened, it probably isn't but bare with me...

When I worked for Blockbuster, Disney were (by far) the worst company to deal with. When DVDs first started, Blockbuster were able to buy releases from any other company at a realistic price and rent them. Disney didn't agree, they wanted to retain the high prices that we'd paid for rental VHS, even though, by that time there was no rental window period to speak of.

Basically, Blockbuster said no and for a while we didn't stock any Disney product. By the time it was resolved, Disney had taken off all the special features, slapped 'rental copy' on the spine and disc and dropped the price to around £20 (to us) rather than the £15 you could buy the retail version for (often from our shelves).

Hang in there...

Another issue was release dates. Disney were so obsessed with breaking release dates that we often didn't get a title until release day. This in a time when we had Titanic in store 2 weeks before release date. Fox trusted us, Disney didn't. It's possible Zavvi haven't had Maleficent sat in a warehouse for a week (didn't they only get CA: TWS on the Monday of release?). Even if they have, as someone said, you cant expect the warehouse guy who opens the box to know the item before doesn't look like the item listed on the website. Nor can you expect the guy who put the item on the website to go to the warehouse (which probably isn't even in the same town let alone building) to go and look to see if the product matches.

Don't forget, earlier this year Disney played hardball with Amazon. That's what they're like.

Besides, it's pretty common for products not to look the same as advertised (although they probably look more similar than they do in this case). I was surprised to see title of The Punisher too high on the spine (the mock up has it centralised). I was surprised to see the black border of Amazing Spider-Man 2 was so thick when the only image I saw from HMV had it a lot thinner.

How often have you bought an action figure that looks nothing like the picture on the back of the box?
How often have you received a DVD with both BBFC and IRL ratings on it, when only the BBFC one was shown?
How often have you opened a steelbook to find it's silver and not white? E.T. anyone? Or green, not blue? Umm, Jaws.
Did you expect Aliens to be gloss? I know I did.
Did you know that the 3D logo was a sticker on 300: Rise of an Empire? I know I didn't.

Anyway, it's a shame, but it happens. I've ordered plenty of things that didn't end up looking how I expected. I currently have the UK Batman 1966 Blu-ray set on order. Will it look like that when it comes out? No idea. Will Amazon update the picture before it arrives on my doorstep? No idea there either.
It's amazing how Zavvi UK didn't have a clue what they were getting with this steelbook but Spain did???

C'mon I don't buy it. Sorry.
It's easy to blame Disney but how come Amazon Spain and all the Spanish sites new what they were getting?

In my opinion it looks amazing. All that is disappointing me is that it doesn't have german audio like the Spanish one. I was really hoping for that

It's amazing how Zavvi UK didn't have a clue what they were getting with this steelbook but Spain did???

C'mon I don't buy it. Sorry. It's easy to blame Disney because of their own track record.

Exactly. Disney should definitely be at fault as well, because of their track record. I'm not saying Zavvi shouldn't get the blame either, though. They just shouldn't be getting ALL the blame.

zavvi deal with disney a lot, they have secured 30 disney steels exclusively lol and recently, disney have shared the ins and outs of the artwork for all of those steels. zavvi and disney had been doing a fine job of keeping us all informed.

the thing that baffled me about this release, was the fact that all we got was a front cover and dead silence, i knew something wasnt right.

Reactions: lgans316 and PKAVFC
Too many people saying 'so what'. If the steel had turned up and it was matte, title-less and ugly artwork you'd be going mad. Just because it's still a lovely item doesn't excuse the false advertising.
Agree but I do truly think this is down to Disney and not Zavvi this time and i'm willing to forgive a mistake that works out for the better,
I also hope they make the same mistake with guardians of the galaxy.