Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World (Blu-ray SteelBook) (Zavvi Exclusive) [UK]

Jul 13, 2016
United kingdom
Release date: September 18, 2017
Purchase link: Zavvi (Pre-order August 13 around 6 PM BST)
Price: £15.99

11524895-1784505040982491.jpg

11524895-8914505041150767.jpg
11524895-1874505041211013.jpg
Audio: English 5.1 DTS HD Master Audio, Spanish 5.1 DTS
Subtitles: Danish, Finnish, Norwegian, Spanish, Swedish, English

Last edited by a moderator:
I wasn't going to pre-order this, but a 15% off code they sent me still works, so I couldn't resist!

Also just remembered I was working on a concept using original poster art... might finish it tomorrow.

• Thanks
Reactions: C.C. 95
Heh, when preorder started it was for full price, now it´s for 18.25 euro, preordered with welcome code, but they take 1,99 euro for standard shipping, so not really a discount :rolleyes:. Anyway, great movie and nice steel, hopefuly in full gloss, looking forward to it.

• Thanks
hi all john here from west sussex, great forum and web site with good question and answers! I hope the steelbook will be be in the matte finish it looks awesome indeed it now compliments my bounty blu ray the version with mel Gibson of course! :)

Reactions: Wreck
Agree with those that reckon this would look good in full gloss . . . but also feel a more subtle old print style look would suit just as well . . . a finish more in keeping with the discoloured parchment style of a few of the original poster designs . . . something to reflect the olde worlde setting of the film (late 18th Cent.) and of the fog-shrouded ship artwork.

Olde worlde original poster designs
upload_2017-8-14_2-12-19.png
upload_2017-8-14_2-13-16.png
upload_2017-8-14_2-15-25.png
upload_2017-8-14_2-17-16.png

Maybe reading too much into the mock-up but the different colour opening edge leads me to think that this artwork could have a different colour framing border to the colour inside the frame (in the style of the poster on the far left) to make the ship look like a proper framed painting - and that the title at least will be embossed.
Anyway, we shall see . . .

As for the ship used (HMS Surprise):-

surprisehead3.gif

The SURPRISE began her life in Nova Scotia in 1970 as HMS ROSE She was a near-exact replica of the *6th-rate frigate of the same name which served the British Navy with distinction in the American War of Independence. The original Rose met her end in 1779 when she was scuttled at the enterance to the port of Savanna in order to block the French fleet during the Siege of Savannah.

The new HMS Rose sailed the oceans of the world for thirty years as a sail training vessel. Then in March of 2001, she was sold to 20th Century Fox to be modified for use in the production of the movie, "Master and Commander; Far Side of the World". For that she was re-named, HMS Surprise. Subsequent to the completion of the movie, she was again sold, this time to The Maritime Museum of San Diego where she remains today.

surprise-r.jpg

* Small warship of between 20 and 30 canon (1st-rate ships could have up to 140 canon spread over up to four decks)

Last edited:
  • Helpful Post
Reactions: K.i.T
hi all john here from west sussex, great forum and web site with good question and answers! I hope the steelbook will be be in the matte finish it looks awesome indeed it now compliments my bounty blu ray the version with mel Gibson of course! :)

Welcome to the forums John!

• Thanks
Reactions: JJCLARKE1
Full gloss would make this a true beauty.
This is one of those titles tho that while Gloss would be awesome ... "the right matte" would be good too. ie. not that I can scratch the paint off with my finger nail circa 2015 USA Best Buy Warner Matte. lol

or even the varnish like one that Sony uses a lot in the UK. ie. Bad Boys.

• Thanks
I had a Chinese region 6 import DVD (digipack) and I'm pretty sure sure it was anamorphic and had an awesome DTS-ES audio track :thumbs:
Yes the Abyss DVD from China is Anamorphic and DTS ES 6.1
China DVD has only the Special Edition version of the film and does not include the Theatrical version
The only extra is text commentary and does not include the extras found on other regions DVD releases
It's 1 Disc only

Nope. Neither is True Lies. James Cameron has been working on restorations of both for years - The Abyss hasn't even had an anamorphic DVD release.

According to a recent (10th August) Q&A with the man himself . . . they are both coming . . . but :-
Q&A Quote, " Both films only exist as poor-quality DVDs and so-so quality broadcasts. Both have recently been re-mastered (Abyss for 4K apparently) and many have been keen to know when we’ll finally see them. Cameron says:
Working on that. The True Lies Blu-ray and The Abyss Blu-ray have sort of fallen off my ‘to do’ list getting the not one, not two but four “Avatar” sequels stood up and going. But now that that’s happened, I can actually take care of business. So that’s coming, absolutely.”

Typical reaction gifs to this news include:-
18a962c14e29971a9a2043e52168135563ff8112_hq.gif

giphy.gif

Both films showing on cable and reportedly very acceptable transfers they are too:-
8d5fcbe7ef48aa53c51251535107c716.jpg

Last edited:
hi all john here from west sussex, great forum and web site with good question and answers! I hope the steelbook will be be in the glossy finish it looks awesome indeed it now compliments my bounty blu ray the version with mel Gibson of course! :)

Hi John and welcome. Im only not sure If you didn´t muddle the terms. I correct it for ya :p:D

• Thanks
Reactions: JJCLARKE1