snooloui

The 'Negative' Ninja
Premium Supporter
Feb 12, 2012
UK
Release date: November 21, 2016
Purchase link: Zoom
Price: £22.99
Notes: Steelbook artwork will be identical to standard Steelbook edition but includes an exclusive lenticular magnet

8309499_1.jpg

1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
It is cold in the Uk too and my steels were freezing when I opened them this morning so that would stiffen the glue quite a bit

We must of got it at literally the same time

I don't mind it when it's that really soft glue that comes of extremely easy but yeh like you say when it's that tacky sticky glue it ruins stuff.
Same with cellotape, I hate it (some do use the easy cellotape that comes of with ease and don't mark - universal use that)

I'm glad to have this version and i thought it was as good as the first and much better than into darkness.

Downer with the labryinth, it makes no sense to me why they do it

Unless they need the j card held in place for shrink wrapping. But the studio canal steels don't use glue or cellotape I don't think
Ha probably!

Yeah, the dried glue that peels off in one piece is no problem... it's the stuff that looks like snot that drives me mad lol. Some of the tape certain studios use can be annoying, but it's not half as bad as the glue. But yeah... I've had steels where the j-card is loose under the cellophane, so it is possible!

I've only seen the three most recent Star Trek films once, so a rewatch is definitely needed... I remember liking them all though. I was actually quite surprised with the direction they decided to take on this one... they kept it pretty simple IMO, but it was still very enjoyable.

• Thanks
Reactions: Flloydo
Got mine yesterday. Must admit I'm a little underwhelmed with it, the design is great, but it's another case where a gloss finish would have made it stunning. There's no point in having a beautiful design full of stunning colours if you're going to print it on a dull Matt finish, it just drains the saturation of colour right out of it.

The lenti is nice, but feels unnessecary slapped on top like that. Surely, as there's a ridged border on the front of the steel, it makes more sense to have the Lenti slightly smaller so that it sits within the border area nearly, thereby becoming part of the design, rather than lookin like something separate that's even slapped on top for the sake of it.

Reactions: Scrubbedup
Does anyone have a technique to remove glue gently?
No need for any fancy chemicals, there's a simple and easy way to get rid of the glue, works for me every time so I've never had an issue with them using it. Peel off the glue you can and roll it into a ball/lump.

This glue is drawn 'to itself' (of want of a better term) so once you have a little ball of it simply dab a time the remaining residue in quick sharp little jabs, you'll find the residue will start sticking to it and lifting off. Thirty seconds of that and it'll be all off.

• Helpful Post
Reactions: Noodles
No need for any fancy chemicals, there's a simple and easy way to get rid of the glue, works for me every time so I've never had an issue with them using it. Peel off the glue you can and roll it into a ball/lump.

This glue is drawn 'to itself' (of want of a better term) so once you have a little ball of it simply dab a time the remaining residue in quick sharp little jabs, you'll find the residue will start sticking to it and lifting off. Thirty seconds of that and it'll be all off.
This is what I pretty much always do too and it usually works a treat! However, it didn't work for me in this case... it just seemed to make it worse, but it's the first time I've tried to remove glue from a lenti. I ended up just repeatedly rubbing it (in the same direction of the grooves on the lenti) with my thumb until I'd removed the majority of it, then simply wiped over it with a slightly damp cloth.

• Thanks
Reactions: Flloydo
I use brush cleaner to remove glue residue leftover on a jcard
Only use tiny amount on a fiber cloth and rub it off make sure you don't use the fiber cloth that's wet with brush cleaner afterwards on something else especially painted surface until it's dry or you clean the fiber cloth
Avoid using brush cleaner on jcard top flap at the edges especially Warner jcards as the blue part of the jcard can get discolored

Remove first as much as you can by rolling the glue off and any residue left over I use the brush cleaner
It comes off straight away it's important to use only a tiny amount and use a cloth to dry it after or leave it a few min to dry before you attach the jcard again

I not tested this on a lenticular magnet so not sure what affect it will have

This is what I pretty much always do too and it usually works a treat! However, it didn't work for me in this case... it just seemed to make it worse, but it's the first time I've tried to remove glue from a lenti. I ended up just repeatedly rubbing it (in the same direction of the grooves on the lenti) with my thumb until I'd removed the majority of it, then simply wiped over it with a slightly damp cloth.

exactly the same for me this time as well this glue on this one is a bit more stubborn the damp cloth and tea towel dryed it off after just to be safe, seemed to do the trick.

mine started to take jcard cardboard with it luckily manage to leave it on lenti then gently very gently slowly roll it off and then a jcloth with warm water slowly clean on flat surface and dry tea towel dry it soon as clean. some of the most stubborn glue ive seen in a while. my advice to anyone get it off soon as get this steel or you will have problems later.

lenti is of very nice quality but as some have said does look odd on it a bit so have stuck on the freezer in the kitchen so will see there each day.

as to the film without giving anything away, first 30 mins i thought what on earth was going on peg seemed to have screwed it up then slowly got going in to a nice rhythm after that, but should have had jj doing it and not justin lin personal view i know.

question i asked myself is a worthy 50 year film for trek and thought no not really.
goodish film but not outstanding pegg had too much involvement for my likeing you can see that in the story which to my mind takes away from the film to be honest.

lets hope the next one is better fingers crossed and not the fanboy writing it tbh.

basil :thumbs:

That's incredibly harsh! Pegg is not a fanboy, he understands genre and he and Doug Liman crafted, imo, a screenplay which allowed some breathing space and more natural portrayals of the characters (Pine said it was nice to play a less loud version of Kirk) and thematically the story addressed the human factor and the upsides and downsides of going on a, well, a Star Trek. I loved it, thought it was brilliantly executed with a lighter touch and felt very classic Star Trek which suited an anniversary year movie. Oh and Sofia Boutella as Jaylah stole the show.

I wouldn't disagree that JJ is the better visual director - as an action director he's so good he nearly managed to hide the issues with Into Darkness and he totally covered up the plot holes and conveniences in the story for his reboot which, despite the flaws and being a bit ott, I still loved.

At least, in any event, we didn't get a turkey like Nemesis. :p

• Thanks
Reactions: neo and Flloydo
From where does zoom ship? Mainland UK, or like zavvi from Guernsey? I ask because of the custom duties you would have to pay as German customer when it is not shipped from mainland UK.