snooloui

The 'Negative' Ninja
Premium Supporter
Feb 12, 2012
UK
Release date: November 21, 2016
Purchase link: Zoom
Price: £22.99
Notes: Steelbook artwork will be identical to standard Steelbook edition but includes an exclusive lenticular magnet

8309499_1.jpg

1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
A lot of people think the difference between the reported budget and Box Office gross is the profit...Far from it....Yeah, count all the $$$,$$$,$$$s :)
It would be optimal, but I guess we'll never know the expenditures. That's why I added "(incoming)" to my post :thumbs:

I thought this one was the best of the three, imo. For me it felt more like a traditional Star Trek movie which seen as it is the anniversary was a nice touch.

For me the first 30 minutes were good. Sure it didn't get straight into the action like the last two but do all movies really need to?

I'm not a Trekkie fan tbh but I do like the new films

This is up there with the first one Abrams directed IMO

The second is watchable but gets a bit boring, I love the fact the majority of this film is on another planet. When i did watch the series as a kid (at times) and for the anniversary I thought it was perfect they chose to do this story and kept away from space for the most of it. It's different because of that when compared to the last 2

I've loved pegg since big train and spaced. Then with Edgar and frost they were a force not to be reckoned with when making Shaun and hot fuzz but like gervais pegg lost it a little when he started making films that he was purely an actor in or American films that they were the main actor in - they just don't work .... How to loose your friends and alienate people/ the invention of lying for examples, he (they) works best when he's involved with the writing and direction so that's possibly what i could see in beyond too.

His Scottish isn't the best but it's also not the worst

Anyway I though this was great, the start where pine/ kirk is narrating and he's walking around the ship and it's not a mental opening was so perfect and grounded and then from about 20 mins in it kicked off to a proper Star Trek film, action packed and good story

Love the use of sabotage again too

• Thanks
Reactions: lights
I'm wishing I bought this lenticular steel now instead of buying the Amazon 4K + 3D exclusive. There was nothing special other than a tiny spaceship and the 3D disc came in a paper sleeve. The slipcover was simply the standard 4K slip and was not exclusive at all!

I'm wishing I bought this lenticular steel now instead of buying the Amazon 4K + 3D exclusive. There was nothing special other than a tiny spaceship and the 3D disc came in a paper sleeve. The slipcover was simply the standard 4K slip and was not exclusive at all!

Firstly Shaggy, I like to say your name cracks me up everytime I see i lol :rofl: Not because of Scooby Doo! Good name!!

Well if there was a 4K steelbook for this I would not hesitate to buy it, but there isn't so I had to settle for this. When I get 4K I will just swap the discs in. That's something you can do and put the 2D in the 4K aamray.

• Thanks
Reactions: neo
Zoom packing chimp f*cked up, even allowing for the catastrophic crushing the soft card box took en route.

Going to be a bad day for someone at Zoom customer service tomorrow.

Watched all 3 Star Trek reboots this weekend and this is by far the worst of the 3.

This film doesn't come anywhere near the first 2. Say what you will about JJ Abrams, but Justin Lin just isn't in the same class IMO. This just like felt another Fast & Furious (in space), right down to Peggs stunt jumping out of the torpedo on the cliff edge. This was lifted right out of FF7 when Paul Walker jumped out of the car as it went over.

And speaking of Pegg, the story was a mess and boring. Didn't hold my attention like the first 2 movies. And why was the whole film so dark? Couldn't see what was going on half the time. Did they run out of budget for light bulbs on the set?

Very disappointed :(

• Thanks
  • Helpful Post
Reactions: Basil and sunnyx
I like your comment because as a Star Trek fan I loathe every one of those reboot films. I've never hated films so much since Alien 3 but i guess each to their own.

Haha

I'm a Star Wars fan anyway

Watched all 3 Star Trek reboots this weekend and this is by far the worst of the 3.

This film doesn't come anywhere near the first 2. Say what you will about JJ Abrams, but Justin Lin just isn't in the same class IMO. This just like felt another Fast & Furious (in space), right down to Peggs stunt jumping out of the torpedo on the cliff edge. This was lifted right out of FF7 when Paul Walker jumped out of the car as it went over.

And speaking of Pegg, the story was a mess and boring. Didn't hold my attention like the first 2 movies. And why was the whole film so dark? Couldn't see what was going on half the time. Did they run out of budget for light bulbs on the set?

Dark? Can't say I noticed that. Looked fine to me.

• Thanks
Reactions: Flloydo

Yeah- I noticed the darkness too. Initially, I thought that it was because I saw the film in 3D, but even in a 2D showing - it was still dark. I think this had less to do with the actual lighting of the set and more to do with the color palate and whatever they did in color correction in post.

But I feel that as to whether or not the 2nd or 3rd film are truly "better" than one another is difficult to say. Star Trek Beyond had a far more concise script as opposed to Star Trek Into Darkness, but Into Darkness had a far better director. So even when the sloppiness in the pacing and the overall story concepts occurred in Into Darkness, Abrams was able to heft the film up with the emotional depth that he can so expertly craft into his films. The problem with Beyond is that it almost felt hollow in a few places due to the sheer flatness of Justin Lin as a director.

What is truly interesting is people's distaste for Into Darkness when at it's core- is the most like a Star Trek adventure than the other two could be.

What is truly interesting is people's distaste for Into Darkness when at it's core- is the most like a Star Trek adventure than the other two could be.

At its core ST:ID is straight forward action/revenge movie, a plastic simulacrum of Star Trek II and barely anything like a (decent) original Star Trek TV episode. I'd guess most people's distaste for the movie stems from the way it lifts story beats and dialogue wholesale from Star Trek II, going way beyond pastiche or homage and bordering on parody in its laughable execution. JJ's pointlessly silly John Harrison/Khan 'surprise' reveal added nothing to the picture, it was like watching the director break the fourth wall and wink at the audience. For me ST:ID is just nowhere near as fun or lively as the 2009 reboot - the cast's over acting ("YOU. ARE. A. CRIMINAL"//"I.AM.KHAN.NOONIEN.SINGH") and the plot holes/glaring logic flaws made for one of the most disappointing cinematic experiences in recent memory.

Star Trek Beyond isn't anywhere near perfect, and I agree Lin's direction is quite lacklustre in comparison to JJ's, but despite the crew facing yet another disgruntled ship captain the plot/script at least has a semblance of originality and that alone makes it a better sequel in my opinion.

I didn't notice darkness but maybe that was because it didn't have the Abrahams glare

Also in the special features in the making the cast mention the inside of the ship was different with actual screen and graphics already there which makes me thinks maybe the JJ films that was all CG. Not sure

Also I'm a HUGE fan of JJ and I love everything he's done just wasn't massive on into darkness - watchable and entertaining to a degree and that's it for me.

I personally don't like Lin, his FF are hilariously bad and entertaining but I don't think he did a bad Job on this.
Now it's mentioned that scene with pegg jumping out of the pod was clearly lifted from FF but it still looked good

Also I'm not sure how many times in films something that can fly will fall past cliff with trees and manages to take flight after the fall which we always know will work out fine and it's always a feel good moment (and a little cringe) and I'm pretty sure JJ did that in force awakens with the falcon too. Wasn't the first and won't be the last to do that

Last edited:
Yeah- I noticed the darkness too. Initially, I thought that it was because I saw the film in 3D, but even in a 2D showing - it was still dark. I think this had less to do with the actual lighting of the set and more to do with the color palate and whatever they did in color correction in post.

But I feel that as to whether or not the 2nd or 3rd film are truly "better" than one another is difficult to say. Star Trek Beyond had a far more concise script as opposed to Star Trek Into Darkness, but Into Darkness had a far better director. So even when the sloppiness in the pacing and the overall story concepts occurred in Into Darkness, Abrams was able to heft the film up with the emotional depth that he can so expertly craft into his films. The problem with Beyond is that it almost felt hollow in a few places due to the sheer flatness of Justin Lin as a director.

Thanks. I think you summed it up better (what I was trying to say)

Although I'll probably get ridiculed for saying it, Into Darkness is my favourite of the 3.

Best action set pieces IMO and I loved that we got to see a bit more of the futuristic earth setting and the cool technology.

The 3D on the first 2 films is a lot better than on the third also IMO.

Now it's mentioned that scene with pegg jumping out of the pod was clearly lifted from FF but it still looked good

Again, another scene where Kirk rides the bike off the ramp and jumps off at the last minute and grabs the girl while being beamed back onto the Starship together was the same scene used in FF5 where Turetto jumped off the car as it went over the edge of the overpass and grabbed the girl from the tank before landing on the bonnet of another car.

It's like director Lin just decided to rehash the stunts from F&F into this........

I agree @BluSteel2012. After all that wait the movie had Justin Lee directing style all over it. It lacked depth of the previous ST movies. I was disappointed as the trailer looked awesome. I was expecting something similar to First Contact. But instead we see them on a planet pretty much doing nothing and Kirk on the motorbike lol.

First Contact 1996 20 years ago much better movie.

• Thanks
Reactions: BluSteel2012
At its core ST:ID is straight forward action/revenge movie, a plastic simulacrum of Star Trek II and barely anything like a (decent) original Star Trek TV episode. I'd guess most people's distaste for the movie stems from the way it lifts story beats and dialogue wholesale from Star Trek II, going way beyond pastiche or homage and bordering on parody in its laughable execution. JJ's pointlessly silly John Harrison/Khan 'surprise' reveal added nothing to the picture, it was like watching the director break the fourth wall and wink at the audience. For me ST:ID is just nowhere near as fun or lively as the 2009 reboot - the cast's over acting ("YOU. ARE. A. CRIMINAL"//"I.AM.KHAN.NOONIEN.SINGH") and the plot holes/glaring logic flaws made for one of the most disappointing cinematic experiences in recent memory.

Star Trek Beyond isn't anywhere near perfect, and I agree Lin's direction is quite lacklustre in comparison to JJ's, but despite the crew facing yet another disgruntled ship captain the plot/script at least has a semblance of originality and that alone makes it a better sequel in my opinion.

Specifically about Into Darkness being more relevant to the older series was it's satirical take on real world events. Prior Star Trek series can usually be deconstructed to the point of which it is layering it's own scifi aspects to analyze real world political events and issues. Star Trek Into Darkness was the only real Star Trek film of these reboot films to have a similar point- it's point however, was coming from the perspective of a 9/11 truther- which is what made it particularly uncomfortable. xD

We'd be here to next Christmas If I was to say why I loathe them. Let's just say I pretend they don't exist and leave it at that.

Fair enough. I have liked star trek since been a kid, although I'm certainly not a bona-fide trekky, but I have enjoyed the three re-boot movies and think they are all decent.

I find it strange though that when we get re-boots or even late sequels or prequels (ala Star Wars) certain fans absolutely hate them, and don't give them a chance.

• Thanks
Reactions: StifflersDad