Tangled (Lenticular) (2D+3D Blu-ray SteelBook) (Zavvi Exclusive) [UK]

snooloui

The 'Negative' Ninja
Premium Supporter
Feb 12, 2012
UK
Release date: March 6, 2017
Purchase link: Tangled (Pre-orders will be live from around 6pm UK time on Sunday February 19th)
Price: £22.99

11408850-4214458444230271.jpg

11408850-1474458449113896.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
^ Yes, beautifully done and mui simpatico (the Kimchi steelbook) - with artwork blending seamlessly over the spine across the covers . . . a joy to behold and a measure of how good steelbook artwork can look if done right.
On a par with the original U.K. TANGLED steelbook in my opinion.

Anyway, back to reality: Pity the upcoming Disney/Zavvi steelbook didn't utilise the same artwork as the Kimchi throughout and not just the main bit on the front.

As the new one stands I feel it's a bit of a hodge-podge lacking any real synergy and that back art is not to my liking on the new one.

Kimchi TANGLED (2013) Gloss / no 'bossing / homogeneous artwork.
tangled-steelbook-kimchidvd-16.jpg

Zavvi TANGLED (2014) Gloss / profusely embossed . . . gorgeous artwork inside and out and one of the best U.K. steelbooks released (IMO).
Tangled-014_zps947bc155.jpg

. . . and I can't see the new one approaching either of the two lovely steelbooks pictured above even with the improved content and the lenticular magnet

Hopefully "live" pics will change my mind about the new one as I want to like it.

Last edited:
I'd like to echo most everybody here and bow my head in a moment of reverence for the piece of art that is the Kimchidvd version... Spectacular release.

Back on subject, I'm most interested to see if Disney can correct the lenticular magnet issue these re-releases have had (the Age of Ultron steelbook from Zavvi was a hot mess to say the least...). If so then this might be a nice release. It's just that when I discovered 'premium' releases I lost interest in Zavvi steelbooks so fast... adding the lenticular magnet might be their attempt to compete with the likes of HDZeta or Manta Lab but they've got a long way to go, especially for us overseas folks who have to pay more than UK folks do. It's just, when you're paying 30-40 bucks per book it's not so much more to get something amazing like the Blufans Civil War release...and there's no comparison really.

• Thanks
Reactions: Punker76
Once Disney get these re-releases out of their system, I really hope they consider some of the unreleased classics in their back catalogue.

• Thanks
Reactions: pioneer
I'd like to echo most everybody here and bow my head in a moment of reverence for the piece of art that is the Kimchidvd version... Spectacular release.

Back on subject, I'm most interested to see if Disney can correct the lenticular magnet issue these re-releases have had (the Age of Ultron steelbook from Zavvi was a hot mess to say the least...). If so then this might be a nice release. It's just that when I discovered 'premium' releases I lost interest in Zavvi steelbooks so fast... adding the lenticular magnet might be their attempt to compete with the likes of HDZeta or Manta Lab but they've got a long way to go, especially for us overseas folks who have to pay more than UK folks do. It's just, when you're paying 30-40 bucks per book it's not so much more to get something amazing like the Blufans Civil War release...and there's no comparison really.
Disney corrected the Lenti magnets after age of ultron
Disney Lenticular Magnets line up
Lion King
Toy Story
Frozen
Snow White
Brave
Monsters, Inc

Controversial opinion maybe but my favourite Tangled release of all time is the first Zavvi steel. I did own a Kimchi edition at one point but the Zavvi one has just the right amount of embossing and the gloss finish is phenomenal. Tangled and Aladdin are probably the best of the Disney Zavvi Exclusives imo.

Disney corrected the Lenti magnets after age of ultron
Disney Lenticular Magnets line up
Lion King
Toy Story
Frozen
Snow White
Brave
Monsters, Inc

Oh? I guess I'll have to do some research then and confirm this for myself. I haven't seen any pictures in hand yet.

Oh? I guess I'll have to do some research then and confirm this for myself. I haven't seen any pictures in hand yet.
BEFORE AND AFTER pics - i.e. original mock-ups on the left vs. how they ended up looking after Disney went back to the drawing board following the ridiculous overlapping on the AGE OF ULTRON lenticular steelbook.
As can be seen, re-sized images so that 99% of the artwork fits within the frame and on the lenticular.
All turned out just fine with some better than others with my personal favourite being BRAVE and TOY STORY being my least favourite.
II
V

Last edited:
  • Helpful Post
Reactions: Skyarcke
^ This release obviously aimed at those mot around at the time to pick up the previous TANGLED steelbook(s) at "reasonable" prices and if for no other reason it is decidedly not a "pointless" release.

^ This release obviously aimed at those mot around at the time to pick up the previous TANGLED steelbook(s) at "reasonable" prices and if for no other reason it is decidedly not a "pointless" release.

Completely pointless release. The whole idea behind a collectable is rarity and having to pay aftermarket prices for those people who missed its original price. Constant re-issues damages a market. People dont want the White album on a re-issue, the original is the only version people should strive for. In this case ONLY the Kimchi version is worth owning! The Zavvi release was a re-issue!

• Thanks
Reactions: jimmyv and harry
Each edition is great in its own aspect. No need to.spit venom on others who have their own opinion.

Kimchi Lenticular is kind of sought after but not the rest (quarter slip.and full slip). They are selling for peanuts, sadly less than even the UK release.

Having said that re-releases are flooding and killing the market and the desire to collecti. This applies to even premium retailers.

• Thanks
Reactions: snooloui