Tangled (Lenticular) (2D+3D Blu-ray SteelBook) (Zavvi Exclusive) [UK]

snooloui

The 'Negative' Ninja
Premium Supporter
Feb 12, 2012
UK
Release date: March 6, 2017
Purchase link: Tangled (Pre-orders will be live from around 6pm UK time on Sunday February 19th)
Price: £22.99

11408850-4214458444230271.jpg

11408850-1474458449113896.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Shouldn't the original release be as good as it can be? Given the premium treatment straight off the bat?
All I can see is a situation arising where the initial steal gets a half-arsed release because the distributor will simply plan a "better" one for 18 months/2yrs down the line.

It's a matter of personal taste of course but it's evident to me that on occasion second steelbooks are "better" than the originals - examples probably being the BAD BOYS 1 & 2 and BLACK HAWK DOWN among others.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Of the upcoming Disney/Zavvi lenticular steelbooks looks like only THE LONE RANGER mock-up has the correct sized front artwork.

TANGLED front artwork / lenticular probably similar in scale to the Amaray artwork seen here:-
10655941-1504425775557723.jpg

. . . or more likely the folk at Disney have a bunch of these lenticulars left over from this 2011 release. . . (lol)

Of course, you can’t tell it’s 3D from these pictures but according to someone who bought this release, "The removable lenticular card shows off an impressive amount of depth, reaching “in” at least 5 layers deep".

Original steelbooks vs. re-releases:-
II
V
Admittedly, though, I mostly prefer the original U.K. steelbooks to the U.K. re-releases - examples of the originals that I prefer would include CAPTAIN AMERICA, THOR, DISTRICT 9 (all HMV), STAR TREK XI (Play.com), SALT(HMV), X-MEN: FIRST CLASS (Play.com), IRON MAN (Play.com), SCOTT PILGRIM, SHAUN OF THE DEAD (horizontal), SNOW WHITE AND THE HUNTSMAN, SKYFALL, DJANGO UNCHAINED, THE ROCKETEER, V FOR VENDETTA and so on.
Not forgetting a bunch of steelbook originals and re-releases that I like equally.

As far as the recent Disney steelbook re-releases go I don't think many would say that these are better than the originals which despite having the experimental extra - the lenticular magnet - as we know by now some are more successful than others, the new ones are at a distinct disadvantage with their non-glossy finishes and lack of embossing.
It's as if the power-that-be decided to give something extra with one hand and take back something better with the other.

That being said all but one of the original Disney/Disney Pixar releases are now OOP so anyone new to steelbook collecting without deep pockets will find these new releases adequate and even more acceptable than the originals if the 3D discs are included where they might not have been available inside the original steelbook.

Last edited:
Reactions: robbodoc
I expect they will drop the price to £22.99 at some stage
Zavvi took a few days to drop the price to £22.99 on Wreck-it Ralph

They disabled the codes a while ago they where meant to be used only by customers who not ordered in a while as in they where welcome back codes
Most of the use of the codes was by the regular customers who not got these emails with the code and link:rofl:
Zavvi most likely was what's going on here with the mass use of the welcome back codes and link on pre orders and most not used by customers we sent the code and link in the email

There is always codes though available after release date that for everyone to use as long as it's still in stock

^ Lovely steelbook. Thanks for posting :thumbs:
Possibly room for improvement on some - thinking FANTASIA more than any other - and looking forward to whichever comes next though personally hoping for a re-release of UP with one of those stunning balloons/house images on a depth lenti.

IMO would be very cool if Disney/Zavvi included one brand new steelbook title (and in some cases brand new to Blu-ray here) for every half dozen re-releases as they've just done with a steelbook for LILO & STITCH.

Would a mod have a quiet word with "Pioneer" and ask him to stop posting the old pictures of previous steelbook's on EVERY single thread !? We got it, you like the old ones, Soooo Whaaaaat !

HDN
Established in 2009, hidefninja.com is a fun and friendly international entertainment collectibles community and market place. It is an energetic, dynamic and thriving hub for building friendships, learning about and purchasing entertainment collectibles, and creating exciting community feedback and networking opportunities to expand personal collections and shape future limited editions.

Hopefully Zavvi will be kind enough to post a pic of the front of this one as they've done for WRECK-IT . . . wondering about the scaling of the artwork on the lenticular (which I'm sure will be just fine going by other examples).

Hope we'll get some more originals released- It's nice for people who missed out on the original wave, but for me (personally speaking) I prefer the original Disney steelbooks all day long over the re-releases.

In fact, lenticular covers do nothing for me whatsoever, never understood the fascination in them and always display my steelbooks without them attached.

Hoping we'll see Oliver and Company & The Many Adventures of Winnie The Pooh announced one day, as I'm slowly replacing my Disney DVD collection with steelbooks!

HDN
Established in 2009, hidefninja.com is a fun and friendly international entertainment collectibles community and market place. It is an energetic, dynamic and thriving hub for building friendships, learning about and purchasing entertainment collectibles, and creating exciting community feedback and networking opportunities to expand personal collections and shape future limited editions.
Well said.

I've been unfortunate to be a member of some utterly toxic online communities in my time (IGN for example), but one of the main pulls of this site is just how awesome everyone here is- Most of you guys are a credit to yourselves!