The Grand Budapest Hotel (Blu-ray SteelBook) (Zavvi Exclusive) [UK]

snooloui

The 'Negative' Ninja
Premium Supporter
Feb 12, 2012
UK
Release date: November 2nd, 2015
Purchase link: The Grand Budapest Hotel (live)
Price: £15.99
Notes: Limited to 2,000 copies.

11164383-5654322080399287.jpg

11164383-1934322080416099.jpg

11164383-1324322080410942.jpg

Last edited:
Can't argue with you about the masses of print but at least it's in muted shades and 'blends' into the landscape much more than if it had been in white.
Without the print a better job could certainly have been done with the title - with no cast more space could have been devoted to a de-bossed title, for example.

Last edited:
Reactions: George Pearce
Example of the title in the light and then out of the light (note the white patches) plus to me the title looks wonky or the letters are different sizes on Budapest. Can't quite make out the problem but it's bugging me

View attachment 196887 View attachment 196888

I have the same annoying issue with my copy re: the paint issue on the title and its also chipped on the spine. Didn't even need to open it to see the defects.

J Card is a lovely little "look what you could have won" in respect of vibrant colours and a gloss finish :rolleyes:

Defects ended up being a blessing in disguise as I am really let down with this steelbook and it's going back to Zavvi.

Destined for the £9.99 click this link flash sale.

Reactions: Flloydo
I have the same annoying issue with my copy re: the paint issue on the title and its also chipped on the spine. Didn't even need to open it to see the defects.

J Card is a lovely little "look what you could have won" in respect of vibrant colours and a gloss finish :rolleyes:

Defects ended up being a blessing in disguise as I am really let down with this steelbook and it's going back to Zavvi.

Destined for the £9.99 click this link flash sale.

Yeah I'm sending mine back. I'm really dissapointed by this steelbook, I was hoping for something amazing.
I always said if a Anderson collection came to light they can't be matte, the film posters will all make great steelbooks but it's an insult with this finish

Yeah I'm sending mine back. I'm really dissapointed by this steelbook, I was hoping for something amazing.
I always said if a Anderson collection came to light they can't be matte, the film posters will all make great steelbooks but it's an insult with this finish

Have you seen the pictures of the kimchi editions? The fullslip looks amazing, probably worth paying more for one of those versions. I agree Wes Andersons films are so colourful and artistic that any steelbooks for his films should be glossy.

Don't blame you mate, as usually lately it's a "what could have been release"

Reactions: Flloydo
Have you seen the pictures of the kimchi editions? The fullslip looks amazing, probably worth paying more for one of those versions. I agree Wes Andersons films are so colourful and artistic that any steelbooks for his films should be glossy.

I had and the full slip and lenti both look great but I had other things to pay for and didn't really have the money for it but at the end of the day it's the same steel I don't like.
If the kimchi version had different steel art I would of gone for the full slip.

Would still love to see tenenbaums, Steve zissou, Darjeeling, fantastic mr fox and moonrise but would need to be gloss to show off the colours.

Last edited:
Reactions: T800kaz
I had and the full slip and lenti both look great but I had other things to pay for and didn't really have the money for it but at the end of the day it's the same steel I don't like.
If the kimchi version had different steel art I would of gone for the full slip.

Would still love to see tenenbaums, Steve zissou, Darjeeling, fantastic mr fox and moonrise but would need to be gloss to show of the colours.

Would love to see the others get steels. I think his early films aren't even out in the uk yet.

Would love to see the others get steels. I think his early films aren't even out in the uk yet.

Oh and Rushmore.
I'm not sure. I have them all on dvd except fantastic fox, moonrise and Budapest on blu Ray
Not massive on bottle rocket so that wouldn't bother me

I can see this steelbook end up with a price drop soon or sometime later
£9.99 or less at some stage
It's average to washed out looking in my opinion and that is the risk when you go for a fox steelbook

Fox steelbooks some can be amazing looking including some of previous matte steelbooks
But you also can end up with a washed out poor looking Fox steelbook release and it's a waiting game to find out after release as to which you are getting Amazing/Good or Average or washed out Steelbook

Luckily I cancelled my order a week before they started to charge debit cards

The Kimchi release no different it has the same average looking steelbook but rescued a bit with the FullSlip and Artcards but is still a letdown in terms of the steelbook itself

I might get this if it drops in price to £9.99 or less

I was always going to buy this no matter the finish as I've always liked the image and because it is so different to the equally good image on my Amaray slipcover.

Can understand why a gloss finish would be preferred by some . . . and can also understand the feeling that it will be available at some point in the future for under tenner because, although not niche, it's not exactly in the blockbuster "Avengers" or "Hunger Games" class.
It was very successful, however, with respectable lifetime grosses in cinemas of between $164M and $175M, on a budget of between $27M and $31M,. and is easily Anderson's most successful film (though just behind "The Royal Tenenbaums" when allowing for Adjusted Ticket Price Inflation).
I believe domestic sales for the DVDs and Blu-rays is around the $10M mark . . . and counting, of course.
Not quite so appreciated in The States, and behind "Moonrise" and "Tenenbaums" there in terms of Domestic Gross, but very appreciated in Europe where most of its money was made.
A few facts and figures:-
- Nominated for 11 BAFTAS winning 5
- Nominated for 9 Oscars (joint most with "Birdman") winning 4
- Nominated for 4 Golden Globes winning 1
- Many other awards for Costume Design, Casting, Art Direction / Production Design, the Score etc.
- Anderson's most successful live-action film and his first No.1 film in the U.K.

I don't think I would have been a fan of this steelbook if it had been all shine and gloss or if the hotel had been very embossed or de-bossed as it would have looked too 'New' (and maybe even just a bit tacky) for this semi-Arthouse style film.
As is I'm perfectly happy with it because I find it restrained, elegant and with that old-fashioned period style feel / look that suits.
I also don't find this to be dull or washed-out but I can of course appreciate and understand why a different finish would have been preferred by some.

Slightly off topic but has there am ever been any word of a Steelbook for Fantastic Mr Fox? Would love a steel for that film.

Nah, but would love one.
I want one for all Anderson releases but if they are like this and use this finsh then they will be pointless.
They should all be gloss to go with the vibrant artworks

Reactions: jonnie123
I just managed to pick up the criterion (sealed) delivered to the U.K. From the US for £18. Not too bad but would love a Steelbook. I live in hope. @Flloydo even if it's matte!

The criterion art is amazing, I would personally like it on steel but then that would p*ss off the people who bought that.

Reactions: jonnie123