The Grand Budapest Hotel (Blu-ray SteelBook) (Zavvi Exclusive) [UK]

snooloui

The 'Negative' Ninja
Premium Supporter
Feb 12, 2012
UK
Release date: November 2nd, 2015
Purchase link: The Grand Budapest Hotel (live)
Price: £15.99
Notes: Limited to 2,000 copies.

11164383-5654322080399287.jpg

11164383-1934322080416099.jpg

11164383-1324322080410942.jpg

Last edited:
If dispatch & delivery is the same as for "John Carter" (and other recent examples) I expect to receive this later today.

Just arrived and very fine it is too despite the lack of any 'bossing anywhere.
Muted brown background a la "Spartacus" but the pale pink hotel looks attractive with the lower half continued in a brighter pink shade on the 1/4 slip.
The title is shiny gold blocked on the front and on the spine and three of the upstairs windows are given a gold sheen.
As on the mock-up the cast is there but the names are nicely done in non-shiny pastel pink and yellow/gold shades which don't stick out like a sore thumb and not as offensive if these had been printed in white for example.
8/10
Quick overview pics of the outside to follow unless someone posts more comprehensive pics in the next 1/2 hour.

Reactions: DangerMouse
20151029_064032.jpg
20151029_064123.jpg

As already confirmed by another member who received the information from the horse's mouth this is a MATTE steelbook but IMO not the worse for it (although others will and may disagree).

Apologies for the blurry print in the pic:-
Audio: English 5.1 DTS-HD Master Audio, English Audio Description 5.1 Dolby Digital
Subs: EHOH
Region A B C
1.85:1 - 1985 to the present
2.35:1 - The 1960s
1.37:1 - The 1930s
95 Mins. Approx.

Last edited:
Got mine also this morning. Not much I can add to the detailed description above. I have to say I think it looks classier being matte with spot glossing especially on a few windows. I'm not in the camp that needs everything glossy, sometime glossy doesn't really work. But this is very well made and the contrast between the matte and spot gloss is very effective and the attention to detail the spot glossing gives it is excellent. Very happy with this! :happy:

Got mine also this morning. Not much I can add to the detailed description above. I have to say I think it looks classier being matte with spot glossing especially on a few windows. I'm not in the camp that needs everything glossy, sometime glossy doesn't really work. But this is very well made and the contrast between the matte and spot gloss is very effective and the attention to detail the spot glossing gives it is excellent. Very happy with this! :happy:

This actually has spot gloss?
If so then that's cool. But the hotel should be that pink from the slip.
Such a shame it looks darker for such a vibrant hotel and film.

Reactions: Obi Wan Dandobi
I think that when better pics are posted members will see and appreciate that this is truly a very decent and elegant steelbook . . . although like 99% of steelbooks it could have been better . . .

This actually has spot gloss?
If so then that's cool. But the hotel should be that pink from the slip.
Such a shame it looks darker for such a vibrant hotel and film.
That is my only complaint with it. The hotel isn't as vibrant as it could be. Especially when you compare it to the colour of the slip. Like you said, such a vibrant colourful film should be reflected in the steel still impressed with the detail though. I especially like the odd window spot glossed to give it the impression some hotel room lights are on. Glad I kept the order when I went on a preorder cull!

Reactions: Flloydo
I think that when better pics are posted members will see and appreciate that this is truly a very decent and elegant steelbook . . . although like 99% of steelbooks it could have been better . . .

Not true, IMO
If anything the pics already posted like yours are more realistic to what it's like in hand.
You will notice allot of people enhance their photos and make it look brighter which tbh annoys me a lot of the time because my copy never looks as good or as bright as pics people on here post.

Still happy that people post pics but to play around with the image grinds me.

(Someone posted some pics of Into the woods the other day and although in hand it looks amazing the pics that were posted were so bright it looked fake but much better and I even had to get my copy to check I wasn't going crazy. Amazing photos but not a true identity to the actual colours and finish)

So mine got delivered to the wrong address and they just dropped it off.
It's not spot gloss on the Windows,
4 Windows have a zero finish (you can feel it's not spot gloss) and the same as the title.
I'm really dissapointed by this. I think more because I was looking forward to the first Anderson steel and hopefully continue a collection but this is dull and shocking. I know the j cards are never really the same colour as the steel but this really takes the biscuit. Also the matte finish is streaky.
I mignt even send this back

Also the title looks like they have done half a job with the zero finsh and in the light looks a gold/silver but out the light it's got white patches and "Budapest" is wonky and not central

Reactions: jonnie123
Example of the title in the light and then out of the light (note the white patches) plus to me the title looks wonky or the letters are different sizes on Budapest. Can't quite make out the problem but it's bugging me

image.jpeg
image.jpeg

View attachment 196819 View attachment 196820

As already confirmed by another member who received the information from the horse's mouth this is a MATTE steelbook but IMO not the worse for it (although others will and may disagree).

Apologies for the blurry print in the pic:-
Audio: English 5.1 DTS-HD Master Audio, English Audio Description 5.1 Dolby Digital
Subs: EHOH
Region A B C
1.85:1 - 1985 to the present
2.35:1 - The 1960s
1.37:1 - The 1930s
95 Mins. Approx.

The audio is not complete on the flyer !

English: DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 (48kHz, 24-bit)
Czech: Dolby Digital 5.1
French: DTS 5.1
Hungarian: Dolby Digital 5.1
Polish: Dolby Digital 5.1
Portuguese: Dolby Digital 5.1
Russian: DTS 5.1
Spanish: Dolby Digital 5.1 (448 kbps)
Turkish: Dolby Digital 5.

Source : br.com

Last edited by a moderator:
An elegant un-flashy steelbook and very appropriate for such an elegant and classy period film.

Would have been elegant and understated if they hadn't plastered it with all that writing. Looks like another missed opportunity to me, had it on order but cancelled. Gone are the days where I buy and keep stuff that looks like it should have been better.

Reactions: kitsune