The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies (3D+2D Blu-ray SteelBook) (HMV Exclusive) [UK]

snooloui

The 'Negative' Ninja
Premium Supporter
Feb 12, 2012
UK
Release date: APRIL 2015
Purchase link: in store only
Price: £17-18 (TBC)
Group Buy: Naughtius Maximus < click (UK instore purchase only)

image.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I would wait for the EE but I despise jumbo steelbooks! So I'll be picking this up like the other 2, I'll purchase the EE when they bring out a box set with all of them like they did with LOTR

So does this mean that only HMV are stocking a steel, even though the first 2 weren't exclusives - or is this just an exclusive artwork steel, and another General release steel will be announced?

LOL....so the third film that gets a Steelbook in this amazing trilogy FINALLY gets one without 3D plastered on it

<sigh>

Good Grief

am i missing something here,
and dont mean to offend any collectors here,
but i cant understand why anyone would want to buy this
knowing the extended edition will follow 6 months later,
we learnt this from lord of the rings and the previous 2 hobbit movies,
personally buying this is the same a burning money in my opinion,

My girlfriend's son loves the movies but doesn't want the EE just the theatrical cuts so I buy these for him.

• Helpful Post
Reactions: yardman
It's just the first pic, let's not all assume so quickly.

Fair point but there's no harm in speculating & voicing opinions. One thing that concerns me is that if this IS the final art then 2 out of the 3 standard (non-jumbo) Hobbit steels have artwork that isn't very relevant to the individual film in question - Gandalf had little involvement in TDOS and yet his scene is the cover art for the 2nd film, and with the 3rd one Smaug is the cover art but is less relevant than in TDOS (from what I hear).

I prefer these versions to the extended, People think more is better but take hobbit 1 for example, the extra scenes are just more walking about. Personally none of the extended ones make the movies any better to me, just unnecessarily longer. And of course I prefer having the slimmies to the jumbos

I can speak for myself, don't know about other people: I don't like jumbo steelbooks, so i'll buy this one and the EE amaray, then I will put the EE discs in this one :):)

Because some people dont like jumbo steelbooks which is what the EE will be, so i buy this edition. Then i will buy the boxset of all 3 EE versions of the trilogy that will most likely be released like the gold LotR boxset.

• Informative
I know a few people have answered for this point already, but I genuinely don't have any interest in the extended editions. The first Hobbit had something like 13 mins extra included? It's hardly an extended edition in the LOTR sense. More like deleted scenes. I prefer the artwork of the theatrical cuts as well, and likewise will continue with the theatrical cut for the final Hobbit film.

• Informative
Not loving the look of this tbh, looks like it could match the art work of part 2 quite nicely but I didn't like that either

So far the Taiwan version of part 1 is by a huge distance the best steelbook these films have delivered

I will check with HMV Ireland/Xtra-vision store if they will be getting this I assume they will

Even though I will be getting the extended steelbook version when that comes out I will also be getting this as I have the other 2 already so I will complete steelbook collection of all 3 Hobbit Films including the 3 extended Steelbooks

I Cant have only 2 out of 3 in my collection :D

I would argue the EE of The Hobbit movies are redundant given how much superficial filler is already present in the theatrical cuts. The EE of LotR trilogy were great though and are my preferred versions

Reactions: lgans316
Can't really understand the art...

Smaug is in the movie for like fifteen minutes and he's on the cover? Please.
I thought the movie went kind of downhill from then on too. Peaked way too early. That whole 15mins I was like :woot::OMG: The battles towards the end just seemed like LOTR but with better CGI. I'd go in for the Extended though, with better/more relevant art

A

Also that the EE will more than likely be a jumbo as per previous releases in the UK, personally I can't stand jumbos so I will be buying this version providing it doesn't have the 3d logo