The "OMG the price is high on Ebay, etc!!!" thread

What is your spending limit for Steelbooks?

• I plead the 5th!

Votes: 14 2.6%
  • Under $100 for sealed "Rare" Steelbook

Votes: 145 26.7%
  • Under $50 for any Steelbook

Votes: 139 25.6%
  • Over $100 for sealed, "Rare" Steelbook

Votes: 71 13.1%
  • I'll spend ANY amount to get a missing Steelbook for my collection!

Votes: 26 4.8%
  • It depends on the Steelbook-I decide at the time of purchase

Votes: 199 36.6%

• Total voters

digitalbabe

Premium Supporter
Apr 12, 2009
USA
So, we have the "Fake" and "Steelbook Price Drop" thread, but we don't yet have the thread where you post listings with "crazy" prices for Steelbooks. If you see any, post them here and have fun debating. As per forum rules, please remain respectful with each other-one person's "high price", could be another's "deal of a lifetime" score. Enjoy! :scat:

Please keep discussion to Ebay and other retailers, not private sellers.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fr...steelbooks.TRS0.TSS0&_nkw=steelbooks&_sacat=0 steelbooks

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=steelbooks&_sacat=0 steelbooks UK

Last edited by a moderator:
Scalpers..

God-youre-pathetic-GIF.gif

My main issue with some of these resellers/scalpers isn't so much their resale prices. It's a supply/demand situation. Nobody has to buy from them. It's that the game is a bit rigged. They have an "in" with the Mfg. and are able to buy in bulk reducing what's available at list price for us. Leaving them as a primary source post release/sold out. Sometimes you can still get one at a reasonable price. But if it's a really popular title, probably not. Thankfully we have Group Buys to give us another method to get what we want. It's not perfect but overall works pretty good I think. If not for GB's I would have missed out on a few titles.

Last edited:
Except I don't think they are 'in with the mfg'. I think they just place orders (for as much as they can possibly through various accounts) just like the rest of us.

My main issue with some of these resellers/scalpers isn't so much their resale prices. It's a supply/demand situation. Nobody has to buy from them. It's that the game is a bit rigged. They have an "in" with the Mfg. and are able to buy in bulk reducing what's available at list price for us. Leaving them as a primary source post release/sold out. Sometimes you can still get one at a reasonable price. But if it's a really popular title, probably not. Thankfully we have Group Buys to give us another method to get what we want. It's not perfect but overall works pretty good I think. If not for GB's I would have missed out on a few titles.
They run it as a business, they're a middle man, they expect to make a profit.
If I want to buy a kilo of oranges I can buy it direct from the guy that's picking them off the trees. If he's sold out I can still buy them at a grocery store. Prices are different no doubt.

They run it as a business, they're a middle man, they expect to make a profit.
If I want to buy a kilo of oranges I can buy it direct from the guy that's picking them off the trees. If he's sold out I can still buy them at a grocery store. Prices are different no doubt.

It’s been that way for a very long time. We just need to learn how to live with it and not complain.

Except I don't think they are 'in with the mfg'. I think they just place orders (for as much as they can possibly through various accounts) just like the rest of us.

I was personally told by one of the bigger resellers that he does have an "in". He didn't elaborate with any details so I can't say who or how. In means "inside connection". At least that's how I've seen it used many times.

• Thanks
Reactions: BluSteel2012
I was personally told by one of the bigger resellers that he does have an "in". He didn't elaborate with any details so I can't say who or how. In means "inside connection". At least that's how I've seen it used many times.

Inside connection, meaning they have been communicating with them which does not mean they are buddies. Business is business. No such thing as friends or buddies.

Maybe I should have stated it was more of a frustration at times. I fully understand how the free, not necessarily fair, market works. Unless it's manipulated, it usually works as designed.

We should learn to accept the fact that “resellers” or “scalpers” are a way of life and that shouldn’t bother you too much. Don’t waste your energy being frustrated.

We should learn to accept the fact that “resellers” or “scalpers” are a way of life and that shouldn’t bother you too much. Don’t waste your energy being frustrated.

I don't. Maybe frustrated was too strong. I only think about it when a release is out of stock in seconds. Then I see eBay with sellers who have many copies of that same title. I realize my occasional, intermittent, mild, annoyance won't change anything.

Attachments

• upload_2018-5-18_17-8-44.png
    upload_2018-5-18_17-8-44.png
    730.1 KB · Views: 0
So it appears some Moron of an ebay seller has been using my photo. Our Canadian friend mpniak who is obviously too lazy to take his own photos.
Told the seller to remove it asap or I would be reporting him to ebay for violation. thanks @Sigill for the tip off!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Pulp-Ficti...624689?hash=item3f9c15f671:g:mVgAAOSwwwRa8g3y

View attachment 374518
He's also used @Travis Bickle 's pic of the Lenti o_O:giggle::LOL:
As well as my Group Buy full Slip A order
I grabbed a Lenti which has just arrived not the best quality pics but it has good depth
View attachment 371957
https://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pulp-Ficti...900683?hash=item41e19aeb8b:g:gD0AAOSw4WRa8g1m

AND @paulboland's pics of HDzeta's Suicide Squad :rofl::facepalm:
https://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/Suicide-Sq...085650?hash=item3f9c0dbcd2:g:3QoAAOSwPe9ZqblJ

There's likely more but I can't be arsed to search and link anymore :hilarious: What a douche seller tho :rolleyes::rolleyes: A real irritation of mine especially if you're buying sthg and not even seeing real pics of said item :cautious:

I just reported him to eBay. I had to complete this form and send it to the VERO team which deals with copyright infringements. They said they take these breaches seriously. I pasted the HDN links to the eBay chat because the photograph wasn't from an original ebay listing :rofl: They said the links were good to use as evidence.
What a total knob if I must say :angry:
Well this seller obviously lurks around HDN so I am sure he will read this and keep quite so his identity is concealed :squint:

So it appears some Moron of an ebay seller has been using my photo. Our Canadian friend mpniak who is obviously too lazy to take his own photos.
Told the seller to remove it asap or I would be reporting him to ebay for violation. thanks @Sigill for the tip off!
He's also used @Travis Bickle 's pic of the Lenti o_O:giggle::LOL:

https://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pulp-Ficti...900683?hash=item41e19aeb8b:g:gD0AAOSw4WRa8g1m

AND @paulboland's pics of HDzeta's Suicide Squad :rofl::facepalm:

https://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/Suicide-Sq...085650?hash=item3f9c0dbcd2:g:3QoAAOSwPe9ZqblJ

There's likely more but I can't be arsed to search and link anymore :hilarious: What a douche seller tho :rolleyes::rolleyes: A real irritation of mine especially if you're buying sthg and not even seeing real pics of said item :cautious:

I replied to a post about him in the HDZeta Justice League thread. Usually he uses a lot of stock photos for Amazon and Zavvi stuff because he doesn't actually keep those items on hand. He doesn't order them until he sells them on ebay and then he has them shipped directly to the buyers from the retailer. Perhaps for pre-orders and premium boxsets he's just using whatever photos he can find from other sellers. Shady indeed.

The seller has also used planetary_funk_alert's WW Manta Lab but as 'Box' only!
:rofl:

upload_2018-5-18_17-58-57.png

upload_2018-5-18_17-56-12.png

Last edited:
I replied to a post about him in the HDZeta Justice League thread. Usually he uses a lot of stock photos for Amazon and Zavvi stuff because he doesn't actually keep those items on hand. He doesn't order them until he sells them on ebay and then he has them shipped directly to the buyers from the retailer. Perhaps for pre-orders and premium boxsets he's just using whatever photos he can find from other sellers. Shady indeed.
Maybe some of the other CA members know who he is @Actarus @AlienKing @tridon @rj531 @dchamp444 ;)