Underworld: Awakening (3D Blu-ray SteelBook)(Best Buy Exclusive) [USA]

GVZER

苦い
Premium Supporter
Jun 3, 2010
Deep Deep Hole
Please be aware, some if not many, Best Buy stores have assigned the same sku to the Lenticular version, as they have to the Steelbook version. So if you ordered online based on the sku shown in the initial pictures that surfaced, you may not receive a Steelbook, but a Lenticular version.

Found some info on an other forum, this one has been confirmd as a Best Buy Exclusive in the USA. Region free.

attachment.php

Release date: May 8th 2012
Price: $24.99
Region: A, B and C
Audio: English 7.1 DTS-HD MA, French 5.1 DTS-HD MA
Subtitles: English, French, Spanish

Additional pictures (thanks to ash333) -
kate1.jpg

kate2.jpg

kate3.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I went to three more Best Buys in my area and saw nothing. So, for me, that's a total of six Best Buys today that had a total of one brutally dented copy, and nothing else. Ugh. <off to the trading forum>

i still can't get over that inside art! the pose! what else can you say...? just wow! just wow!

urbeen, thanks to your picture of the inside art, I went back and looked again, and sure enough Selene's pistols inside have the bling-bling effect as well. I will grab some pics tomorrow (Where's Mayflower on this?)

It could be the first steelbook that has an inside art with the metallic bling bling effect. Historical!

Reactions: urbeenjammin
I went to three more Best Buys in my area and saw nothing. So, for me, that's a total of six Best Buys today that had a total of one brutally dented copy, and nothing else. Ugh. <off to the trading forum>

this would be so frustrating. I'm sure you'll find one though.

Hey guys-in regards to cancelling or not cancelling the pre-order. Sometimes it is very hard to know what to do. Walmart a while back was sending out Amarays when it clearly said 'Steelbook' on the website. Sometimes at the logistics level, where the different products are housed, mixups occur and they are shelved incorrectly. Before you know it 100's of people can get the wrong product. Glad it seems to be working out for everyone:)

And...sometimes the info regarding exclusives is not programmed into the BB system that the Employees have access to, because some info comes down from Corporate, and it can create some confusion at store level. I don't work for BB, but know the inner workings of the retail/distribution part of it. Over the years I've read and heard about lots of confusion across retailers all over the world. As a customer its gets crazy frustrating (happened to me plenty of times), but just putting this out there, for a little perspective...

Digital, I wish I could believe you, but I've had two experiences lately that tell me BB has major issues with their inventory control. When I pre-ordered the SB Underworld and selected my local store for pickup, they conveniently forgot to put it in their hold basket. They didn't even try to fill it with the 3D - it simply was never put there. I find this kind of behavior to be indicative od a much larger issue with several stores near me, as the same thing happened when I tried to purchase the Muppets lunchbox set. Same exact issue with someone conveniently forgetting to hold it for me. I happen to think some BB employees are making runs at their local stores and even stealing customer holds so they can resell these on third party sites. Add to this the news that Underworld and Ghost Rider SB's were never advertised in the ads. Why would a company consciously make the decision to hold important news from potential customers?

Add to all of this that neither of the stores I visited had Ghost Rider SB's anywhere - no end cap with the deal anywhere. Very frustrating when stores do this.

I appreciate your perspective, but having this happen twice sends a strong message about BB's quality control problems and their overall business plans. I will be calling corporate and the store in the morning to register complaints. This sort of madness has to stop...

Last edited:
Digital, I wish I could believe you, but I've had two experiences lately that tell me BB has major issues with their inventory control. When I pre-ordered the SB Underworld and selected my local store for pickup, they conveniently forgot to put it in their hold basket. They didn't even try to fill it with the 3D - it simply was never put there. I find this kind of behavior to be indicative od a much larger issue with several stores near me, as the same thing happened when I tried to purchase the Muppets lunchbox set. Same exact issue with someone conveniently forgetting to hold it for me. I happen to think some BB employees are making runs at their local stores and even stealing customer holds so they can resell these on third party sites. Add to this the news that Underworld and Ghost Rider SB's were never advertised in the ads. Why would a company consciously make the decision to hold important news from potential customers?
I appreciate your perspective, but having this happen twice sends a strong message about BB's quality control problems and their overall business plans. I will be calling corporate and the store in the morning to register complaints. This sort of madness has to stop...

I suspect the same thing about BBY employees either stealing or simply purchasing/ hoarding certain SteelBooks to then sell on Ebay, at least in certain areas.

This release wasn't even advertised so why would it sell out so quickly? Furthermore, shouldn't BBY's in Los Angeles, the second largest city in the US, get many copies at each location?

I recall when the Salt SteelBook was out and I had to use their inventory tracker at one of their customer kiosks in-store to find the last two copies at the Glendale store. I went there but they weren't on display, so I asked a sales person and he went to the back and found a copy.

It just seems fishy, to me.

Or, it could be a few local hoarders just buying out all the copies at 10am sharp. Either way, it sucks for actual collectors like myself who are too busy to be at the shop first thing when they open. If this is the future of US SteelBooks then I want no part of it.

Also, how were you able to pre-order the SB online? Or did you just order the 3D Blu-ray for 24.99 listed on the website?

This one definitely proved to be a tough find. I also went to 6 Bestbuy locations and luckily found one copy that was decent enough to purchase. Most stores had none and if you ask them to check the inventory it's mixed with the amaray 3D version. So I believe most stores don't even know how many Underworld steelbooks they actually had instore. Anyways I hope everyone looking for one eventually gets one without paying evilbay prices.
I hope this shows the distributors that we need more then 1-3 steelbooks in each store. That the US is hungry for more steelbooks and in much larger quantities then this release.

I suspect the same thing about BBY employees either stealing or simply purchasing/ hoarding certain SteelBooks to then sell on Ebay, at least in certain areas.

it's definitely possible. I would think Best Buy would have a rule against this though.

This release wasn't even advertised so why would it sell out so quickly? Furthermore, shouldn't BBY's in Los Angeles, the second largest city in the US, get many copies at each location?

it is strange that they didn't advertise it at all. What if there was a reason they didn't advertise? Perhaps they took into account their limited stock, and in not wanting to create a frenzy, simply released it along with the 3D amaray without notice. They knew they would sell. Perhaps they were trying to allow the general public a chance at them.

Or, it could be a few local hoarders just buying out all the copies at 10am sharp. Either way, it sucks for actual collectors like myself who are too busy to be at the shop first thing when they open. If this is the future of US SteelBooks then I want no part of it.

you live in LA, the second largest city in the US. I'm sure there are at least one or two enterprising people who enjoy making a few bucks off of steelbooks and other limited edition blu-rays. Just one person could clean out a store or two pretty easily and still be able to reach a 3rd before too many are gone.

After i got home and opened my copy I realized it was slightly dented:angry: you can only really tell in certain light. oh well I had to go to two different stores to find it

Add to all of this that neither of the stores I visited had Ghost Rider SB's anywhere - no end cap with the deal anywhere. Very frustrating when stores do this.

Hi MFC-thanks for your post. Absolutely-there are inherent problems with an organization as large as BB with 100's of stores. I am sorry to hear that you have had ongoing issues with them-hopefully they listen when you voice your concerns to their corporate office-best of luck. I was specifically speaking to the issue of sku mixups and miscommunication, based on 15+ years in the media distribution industry, and why they may occur-and not about any additional internal logistics/staff issues-those are different issues entirely. Believe me, as an end customer, I've had my share of runarounds with Best Buy over the years, as a hunter of sales, limited eds, etc. I've often said to anyone I've helped over the years, who was not able to get BB exclusives themselves, that most of my items are ordered online for delivery because of the constant mixups and confusion I've experienced. Unfortunately with this sku-saster I did have to visit a store yesterday, myself, as the copies to be delivered to me this Thursday may all be Lenticulars, which I can't use.

'Disconnects' of this nature, where an item is suddenly available, that was never announced are not uncommon-decisions are made in isolation, that do not make the print deadline, or online posting deadlines, and all levels of staff may simply not be clued in in time. I think we also have to remain mindful that both 'Spirit of Vengeance' and 'Underworld Awakening' are Sony pictures. The studio makes the ultimate decision of what will be released, not the retailer, and it's very possible that their decision making time frame for these 2 titles, simply did not allow for advance advertising. There have been, over the years, other instances of people walking into stores to find Steelbooks, without ever being told in advance in flyers, forums, etc.

It's frustrating for consumers (I myself went to buy my Disney Steelbooks years ago, and the store had no idea their pricing was wrong because corporate had not sent down the correct info yet) and countless other examples where various promotions were going on and employees had no idea. Again a 'disconnect' that occurs in organizations. Best Buy and many retailers could do much better in marrying info, sales, communication to their employees and their customers. But the interaction between studio and retailer is much more complicated than what the end consumer sees on the surface. This may be an organizational or communications issue that they should be addressing, but as this thread is about the release of the Underworld Steelbook, that may be an internal discussion more appropriately addressed with their their HR/Management staff.

Without knowing the exact inner workings of their organization, and what actually occurred here, we are all guessing about what ultimately caused the lack of information. But, as a consumer we always have a choice in either contacting them with our frustration or not-I wish you the best in getting your voice heard, MFC. And hopefully the appearance of this G2 Steelbook in the US further signals more to come-and if we're lucky, the sale of future titles will be better executed over time.

Last edited:
Reactions: ash333

Also, how were you able to pre-order the SB online? Or did you just order the 3D Blu-ray for 24.99 listed on the website?
Owl, I purchased this using BB's online ordering system. I should have called them directly when I saw the updated message about the SKU-saster (nice quote BTW Digital!)...[/QUOTE]

Hi MFC-thanks for your post. Absolutely-there are inherent problems with an organization as large as BB with 100's of stores. I am sorry to hear that you have had ongoing issues with them-hopefully they listen when you voice your concerns to their corporate office-best of luck. I was specifically speaking to the issue of sku mixups and miscommunication, based on 15+ years in the media distribution industry, and why they may occur-and not about any additional internal logistics/staff issues-those are different issues entirely. Believe me, as an end customer, I've had my share of runarounds with Best Buy over the years, as a hunter of sales, limited eds, etc. I've often said to anyone I've helped over the years, who was not able to get BB exclusives themselves, that most of my items are ordered online for delivery because of the constant mixups and confusion I've experienced. Unfortunately with this sku-saster I did have to visit a store yesterday, myself, as the copies to be delivered to me this Thursday may all be Lenticulars, which I can't use.

'Disconnects' of this nature, where an item is suddenly available, that was never announced are not uncommon-decisions are made in isolation, that do not make the print deadline, or online posting deadlines, and all levels of staff may simply not be clued in in time. I think we also have to remain mindful that both 'Spirit of Vengeance' and 'Underworld Awakening' are Sony pictures. The studio makes the ultimate decision of what will be released, not the retailer, and it's very possible that their decision making time frame for these 2 titles, simply did not allow for advance advertising. There have been, over the years, other instances of people walking into stores to find Steelbooks, without ever being told in advance in flyers, forums, etc.

It's frustrating for consumers (I myself went to buy my Disney Steelbooks years ago, and the store had no idea their pricing was wrong because corporate had not sent down the correct info yet) and countless other examples where various promotions were going on and employees had no idea. Again a 'disconnect' that occurs in organizations. Best Buy and many retailers could do much better in marrying info, sales, communication to their employees and their customers. But the interaction between studio and retailer is much more complicated than what the end consumer sees on the surface. This may be an organizational or communications issue that they should be addressing, but as this thread is about the release of the Underworld Steelbook, that may be an internal discussion more appropriately addressed with their their HR/Management staff.

Without knowing the exact inner workings of their organization, and what actually occurred here, we are all guessing about what ultimately caused the lack of information. But, as a consumer we always have a choice in either contacting them with our frustration or not-I wish you the best in getting your voice heard, MFC. And hopefully the appearance of this G2 Steelbook in the US further signals more to come-and if we're lucky, the sale of future titles will be better executed over time.

Digital, I've been writing about the lack of steels in America for over a year now, going back to the Captain America HMV release which in my mind is the best of the 2011 offerings. Why American audiences are still denied this version, and why BB offered us such a poor slipcase (Thor as well) is beyond me.

I think the issue goes much deeper than the inventory problem - distributors like Sony are simply out of touch with their audiences' needs on the home distribution side. They do not understand our desire for high quality releases, and are only now *possibly* coming aroud to offering steelbooks as a rule rather than the exception. Regardless if BB was thrown a bone by Sony, this SKU-saster needs to be addressed. I was on the phone with them this morning and got nothing but, "We're sorry and we'll try harder, but we're not compensating you for driving 20 miles out of your way, even though the store and Online messed up." Your description of the suppply side makes perfect sense and I appreciate your insight. If companies like BB cannot understand what their customers want, then mislabel products after not even advertising them in their ads, and then refuse to offer compensation for time and trouble, the closure of 200 stores will just be a pre-game to the shutdown that many people think is inevitable.

I knew you would get nowhere with BB. They completed deleted my BB online account off their system, after repeated emails demanding satisfaction

I am going to say that I love living in an area where there isn't a constant hoarder problem and that steelbooks when we do get them are easy as heck to pick up at my Best Buy. I hit best by at 1pm yesterday and there was a dozen copies on the display (didn't even look at the shelves). I told another user they still had a Breaking Dawn at my Best Buy and picked it up for him on Monday as he had missed out on it. That is how my store rolls steels are still available weeks after their release. They didn't even sell all the pre-order Muppets and when the movie came out they put the two extra copies they didn't sell on the shelves.

Everyone here made me so nervous I caught a ride up to Best Buy on my lunch instead of waiting for today (I commuted on my bicycle yesterday as part of my half ironman training so no car to swing up). I am sure when I swing up today to look for Ghost Rider (employee told me on Monday they are in transit and should be in the store in 3-5 days he looked it up on the system for me) that there will still be some Underworlds.

Reactions: amenhussain
sirdizzy's post makes the best point about the steelbook situation in the US (or anywhere else for that matter). It really depends on the location of the stores around you. If you are fortunate like sir, then you have the luxury to wait a few days or weeks for it. But if you are close to stores where there are high density of collectors, then it might be more challenging and frustrating. But then isn't that why most of us are here on these forums? Online communities like HDN allow us to reach places and secure items normally inaccessible to us. Now that is awesome, don't you think?:scat::scat:

Last edited by a moderator:
yeah with the muppets fiasco. They kept telling me there was no more stock available, then I got an email 2 weeks later that they shipped.

I had the same problem with the Muppets (another missing item hidden behind some returned audio electronics - no I'm not kidding). Luckily I was able to secure my item but not without having major problems with it.

I'm sorry your account was terminated.

boy your Best Buy stores in the US sound like horror stories... never had any issues with the Best Buy's or Future Shop's here in Canada. *** Fingers crossed, lol***